Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Marcus Blaze
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 9, 2023

Quote from Matt Nutter's post:

"As a staff at Pburg we try to remind ourselves often that we are watching one of the all time greats and to enjoy the ride. Marcus is special. His wrestling IQ is off the charts. He is a great leader, great student and the most competitive human being I have ever met. He has all of the intangibles and wrestling abilities to be on the short list of the greatest Ohioans of all time. I am excited to see his recruitment process, but in the mean time I am going to enjoy the next two years watching him cement his legacy and lead our program to new heights."

Does he like brisket?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on May 9, 2023

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]

"As a staff at Pburg we try to remind ourselves often that we are watching one of the all time greats and to enjoy the ride. Marcus is special. His wrestling IQ is off the charts. He is a great leader, great student and the most competitive human being I have ever met. He has all of the intangibles and wrestling abilities to be on the short list of the greatest Ohioans of all time. I am excited to see his recruitment process, but in the mean time I am going to enjoy the next two years watching him cement his legacy and lead our program to new heights."

Does he like brisket?[/quote

I’m sure he does and I know his coaches do for sure :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 10, 2023

[quote="Matt Nutter"]

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Does he like brisket?[/quote

I’m sure he does and I know his coaches do for sure :)"

Excellent. Bucks fans on this forum might want to pony up and send me some cash. In turn, I'll offer a smoked wagyu brisket to Marcus as an NIL enticement to select Ohio State. Is that how this works?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 10, 2023

https://youtu.be/doXAJ1jH77I

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 10, 2023

no doubt a great one, at this stage, but comparing greats to greats is tricky. ...Freestyle disallows what Logan Stieber dominated with, arm bars on top. In college Blaze will face "on top freaks" like Mendez, like Pagoa, like O'Toole--- like Dake who rode David Taylor out all 3rd period to win his 4th. That is Superdupergreatness..

great freestylers have not always dominated in college-- e.g. Heinselmann, Decatur, KeShawn Hayes. why not? maybe because freestyle matches are short & slick, don't require the level of "guting it out" that great folkstylers do?

Fact. let's look at the 4 Monroeville kids, each a ohio 4xer: 2 Stieber bros, Phillips and Cam Tessari. IN FACT, of the 4 Monroeville 4Xers, EVERY hs loss was in the Ironman. ...the Ironman was and is a "separater.."

Blaze took 3rd at Ironman 120 filled with a handful of "perhaps-elites", Liledhal (sp?), Jax Forest--- losing to Deluca of Blair in SV, then beating Deluca for 3rd place. The Ironman was and is a separator. ...just sayin, time will tell.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on May 11, 2023

Just goes to show how tough Ironman is every year!

Most of our Ohio wrestlers who place at state may not even win 1 match, amongst other scenarios that really bring out how tough this tourney is on a national scale.

With that, I do think Blaze is a top of the line blue chipper. I think he's the best prospect to come out of the state since....Who knows, haven't had my coffee yet. (Immediate thought was Dean Heil, Micah Jordan? but I'm sure that'd be up for debate)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 11, 2023

Marcus Blaze = David Carr. My opinion. And that's mighty high praise

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on May 11, 2023

Marcus = 1st and 3rd at Ironman through 2 attempts. Hasn’t been taken down or turned in high school. Again, I look at Marcus through a biased lens, but no matter the lens that’s impressive. Add his freestyle credentials in there and I would say you have as good of a Blue Chip as we have seen since Carr. He just started focusing on wrestling his 8th grade summer. Before that he was soccer first, and was elite at that. His wrestling is still growing, he’s an excellent student and lives life right, I see why colleges can’t wait for mid June to reach out.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 16, 2023

Just some thoughts regarding the broader themes talked about here.

Yes, freestyle and folkstyle are two different things.

I beat an NAIA Champ from Olivet Nazarene (he'd just won) while in high school in a freestyle tournament. Then I watched him go very even with John Ginther (2x AA) of ASU until he got pinned at a folkstyle tournament about 8 months later. I beat Mark Whitehead of Northwestern in April at the National Open 4-3, after he finished 2nd at the NCAA tournament in March. And again at the Sunkist Open of that same year by a much bigger margin right before my freshman campaign. I then went on to have a good but not great freshman year in college with a record of 28-14-2. I lacked a disciplined offense that focused on hand position and counter offense, top and bottom wrestling.

You get beat when those hands come out of position or you lack a significant portion of offense, which makes you predictable. Also, a little thing called riding and escaping really come into play.

Had I spent that time during my redshirt acquiring technical skill with a knowledgeable coach who was paying attention to my deficiencies, I would have crushed it my freshman year.

That was the era of just work really hard philosophy. I think the Nike slogan was Just do it.

Which is terrible advice for a guy trying to figure it out largely on his own. It almost ensures a long painful path.

If you have a coach that gets you and invests time in you; that is all that you can ask for. That and teammates should be given sole consideration when picking a university if your aim is to be a great wrestler.

Also, acquiring the relevant information is huge in a world full of noise.

So, if Marcus gets the attention to detail and the right training partners to further develop; There is no reason he can't compete and be outstanding at the next level (RIGHT AWAY) based upon all of the indicators I'm seeing.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 17, 2023

Rex: Who was your coach at ASU?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 18, 2023

Bobby Douglas

He taught me an over tie offense.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 18, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Bobby Douglas

He taught me an over tie offense."

Was this helpful to you? Did it fit your style?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 19, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Bobby Douglas

He taught me an over tie offense."

And you taught it at the Bishop Ready camp, circa 2007. I love it. I use it when wrestling kids and like to teach it to kids who have a strong hand-fighting game. Just an added trick in the books.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 19, 2023

Niemann...I think I was at that same camp. He showed an elbow pass that day too...we were working on clearing ties yesterday with the Little Eagles and I was able to contribute with a couple of plagiarized Holman quotes.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 19, 2023

Overtie offense helped.

My point is that you need to evaluate a wrestler and determine their level of completeness. If they lack skills in a critical area, they will get beat. You have to be really excellent at a lot of technical skills to win a championship. I was excellent at somethings but weak at others. Those weaknesses undermine performance.

You are only as strong as your weakest link. You can still win but unlikely because weaknesses show sooner or later. Usually sooner.

A guy that I thought could have been a 4x AA is Colt Sponseller. He had a motor and was willing to go hard for seven plus minutes. He lacked good hand fighting until his senior year. This lack of handfighting undermined his effort as those hands being out of position pretty much account for giving up points on your feet. It won't show right away in the first part of the match but it was like clockwork later in the match. He spent a lot of energy to move his opponent but at the expense of giving up position later in the match. I knew it because I had endured the same issue.

I picked up the elbow pass from Les Gutches in maybe 2000; 7 years after graduating college. If that had been in my skill set while in college, I'd have been a different wrestler. A big value add for me or anyone that wants looser tie wrestling.

I appreciate you, Mark and Mike. Thank you.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next