Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Shane Griffith to Michigan
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

This makes 4 new starters entering the lineup for U of M via the transfer portal.

Penn St is right behind them with 3 starters via the portal.

This would move Michigan above Ohio St in the preseason rankings one would think.

College is wrestling has really changed since COVID for a variety of reasons. Better for the sport I think not.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

They did lose lamer however. Blood round guy at 149. He would fit in good for bucks if sasso goes 157

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

They have 2 top 15 guys coming in at that weight next year. Don't think it'll be a big drop off for them.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

Stanford spends all this time and energy to keep their wrestling program, then Woods and Griffith leave??? That's gratitude for you...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

Cliff Keen Wrestling Club has a lot of money plus Sergei Beloglazov on staff. Kevin Jackson, too. Thats a reason to spend one last year of college in Ann Arbor and then train post-grad.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 4, 2023

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Stanford spends all this time and energy to keep their wrestling program, then Woods and Griffith leave??? That's gratitude for you..."

Shane had no more eligibility at Stanford so had to leave if he wanted to wrestle.

Not to mention he saved the program so I think he has earned the right to leave if he wants.

I think woods graduated as well.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on May 5, 2023

Yes exactly why I'm not a fan of it. Michigan and Penn St will always be big players in the portal aka the rich get richer. Ohio St needs to just rely on recruiting on and not losing anyone to the portal. Hopefully the TR trust factor is there.

Call it a little jealousy, sure but some adjustments needs to be made.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Cliff Keen Wrestling Club has a lot of money plus Sergei Beloglazov on staff. Kevin Jackson, too. Thats a reason to spend one last year of college in Ann Arbor and then train post-grad."

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on May 6, 2023

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"Stanford spends all this time and energy to keep their wrestling program, then Woods and Griffith leave??? That's gratitude for you..."

Shane had no more eligibility at Stanford so had to leave if he wanted to wrestle.

Not to mention he saved the program so I think he has earned the right to leave if he wants.

I think woods graduated as well."

But they didn't have to leave, did they? Stanford isn't Ivy League. Do they have the same rule as Ivy League in that grad students can't compete in sports?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 6, 2023

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

I think woods graduated as well."

But they didn't have to leave, did they? Stanford isn't Ivy League. Do they have the same rule as Ivy League in that grad students can't compete in sports?"

I can’t speak for woods but I’m pretty confident Griffith was out of eligibility at Stanford and if he wanted to use Covid year he had to leave.

Did anyone have an issue when McKenna left?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on May 6, 2023

But didn't McKenna leave before Stanford was in trouble of losing their program?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 7, 2023

"But didn't McKenna leave before Stanford was in trouble of losing their program?"

Yes -- but is that better or worse?

Griffith quite possibly saved the program. He graduated and is moving on. I don't see an issue.

Now for ttun, I'd be very wary of going there as a HS because they are clearly showing they will try and rent guys for a year over guys who are already there. Sorry Medley, you're out. Thanks for your service.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 8, 2023

"Now for ttun, I'd be very wary of going there as a HS because they are clearly showing they will try and rent guys for a year over guys who are already there. Sorry Medley, you're out. Thanks for your service."

One of the many twists of the NIL. I don't think it will stop top recruits from wanting to go there but they'll know to step into the portal if they're not performing. UM used to be a program known for getting the most out of who they had. They're setting themselves up now as a mercenary program--perform or portal. Perhaps that's the new reality for top ten teams?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 9, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"They're setting themselves up now as a mercenary program--perform or portal. Perhaps that's the new reality for top ten teams?"

If this is the reality for any team, it's sad. Not "sad" as in bad for them, just sad.

► Add to the Discussion