Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks 23-24 Lineup
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on August 11, 2023

See Flo article, below:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11183541-2023-24-ohio-state-wrestling-team-set-for-massive-lineup-changes?fbclid=IwAR2j2o2QZP64_mABbJurh7zxDfjQBJq4Pm1AzwbUIKputHUhdii6rRf-4Vo_aem_AQORfe-3oiYq1A-5Qbm9LVxa9UfVXgRi_BmBf6wBx3IeYmbTu2sP-WtmpNYdxX1rZWc&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 27, 2023

With the latest news about Sammy’s health I think this marks a definitive changing of the guard in terms of eras. This is now truly a team where the recruiting class of 2022 steps in to take the reins. How guys like Bousakis, Mendes, and Feldman do will dictate the trajectory of the team this year and beyond. The Coaching staff has a lot to deal with to start the season. Losing a cornerstone to your program is a monumental task both emotionally and culturally.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 28, 2023

Praying for a swift and full recovery for Sammy, and I would never count him out.

But if it turns out Sammy can't or shouldn't wrestle this year, Mendez should redshirt, IMO.

Without 20+ points from Sammy, this team is not competing for a trophy, and it doesn't make sense to have Jesse's eligibility misaligned with Bouzakis and Feldman.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 30, 2023

Tom Ryan just did an interview on flo and a couple of interesting points he talked about.

125. He finally mentioned Fenton. 125 will be a three way battle that I don’t think anyone knows who is going to win. I hope it is Vinny and he has a coming out party. It seems to me that Tom maybe is rooting for mccrone.

141. Tom Ryan wants Mendes to wrestle. Don’t think any chance of a redshirt for him. Mentioned he wants best lineup wrestling

149. Demilio was happy sasso moved up because that is the weight he thinks was best for him

157. Paddy was never going to 165. He planned to wrestle off sasso. Tom said this is healthiest paddy has been.

165. Mentioned hepner had good results and is an elite athlete. Said the question is can he sustain it for a 30 match season

174. He expects big things from Carson. He said he expects it to be like like pletcher when he moved up in weight. Point scoring machine.

Tom also sounded very optimistic about Sammy wrestling again and how much he loved the sport. I wouldn’t count on him wrestling this season but by what Tom said absolutely wouldn’t count him out for next season if all goes well. If Sammy did come back next year they would be a legitimate championship contending team with a healthy Sammy.

Luke geog was also interviewed and I am really pulling for him to win the spot to gain experience. Seems like he is gaining confidence.

Tom Ryan just did an interview on flo and a couple of interesting points he talked about.

125. He finally mentioned Fenton. 125 will be a three way battle that I don’t think anyone knows who is going to win. I hope it is Vinny and he has a coming out party. It seems to me that Tom maybe is rooting for mccrone.

141. Tom Ryan wants Mendes to wrestle. Don’t think any chance of a redshirt for him. Mentioned he wants best lineup wrestling

149. Demilio was happy sasso moved up because that is the weight he thinks was best for him

157. Paddy was never going to 165. He planned to wrestle off sasso. Tom said this is healthiest paddy has been.

165. Mentioned hepner had good results and is an elite athlete. Said the question is can he sustain it for a 30 match season

174. He expects big things from Carson. He said he expects it to be like like pletcher when he moved up in weight. Point scoring machine.

Tom also sounded very optimistic about Sammy wrestling again and how much he loved the sport. I wouldn’t count on him wrestling this season but by what Tom said absolutely wouldn’t count him out for next season if all goes well. If Sammy did come back next year they would be a legitimate championship contending team with a healthy Sammy.

Luke geog was also interviewed and I am really pulling for him to win the spot to gain experience. Seems like he is gaining confidence.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 30, 2023

Did Tom Ryan just do an interview? :)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 30, 2023

Obviously I'm not in the room, and I have no idea or inside information about what the goes look like...but I'm rooting for McCrone. He's worked with a few of my guys here and there. He has a great rapport with young athletes...and a way of breaking things down and teaching technique that is far beyond his years.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 30, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"141. Tom Ryan wants Mendes to wrestle. Don’t think any chance of a redshirt for him. Mentioned he wants best lineup wrestling"

I think that's a mistake, but what do I know...

I know TR wants to challenge for a trophy but without Sammy's points I just don't see it. At the very least I would hold Mendez out through Vegas. If at that point 5 or 6 guys in the lineup are projecting to AA, you can then make the decision to go for it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 30, 2023

He's certainly consistent. From Sponseller to Bergman to Pletcher to Palmer, Coach Ryan has shown that he wants to put his best lineup on the mat, period. The real question is, does Mendez want to redshirt? Had it not been for injuries, I bet Feldman and Stieber would've wrestled their true freshman seasons.

I've disagreed with his stance on this in the past, but as I look back over his tenure, it's hard to argue with his record.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 30, 2023

Michael: I've argued against wrestling true freshman so much in the past as well. However, I think it's quite a different world than it was 15 years ago. The learning curve for true freshman is quite a bit shorter now than it was previously.

Don Bork added to this discussion on August 30, 2023

What has happened with Sasso throws a completely different view on the season, as it would for any team. I think you have to move forward, best team on the mat. Nobody knows if Sammy will compete this year, next or a few years from now internationally. Mendez should be the one to make the decision if he wants to go this season. I think we can compete for a trophy if several guys do well. Should we forfeit the opportunity, for that, for guys like Karchla and DeEmillio because of, maybe, a couple years from now we may get a trophy? Let’s compete to get one now.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on September 5, 2023

OK I finally got around to watching TR's most recent interview, and I did think this particular passage was interesting given some of the conversation we've had on this board:

"Listen, I love this team. This is a team, really, for the most part, no transfers. A lot of these elite teams, they grabbed a bunch of guys here and there. That might be us--it isn't us this year--so I don't want to knock that. It's the world we live in. It's the world of 'every year is free agency.' Our guys don't leave, they stay. And we really didn't need to go out and get anybody. On the front side of recruiting, we did really well. We did talk to some people, but the NIL space ultimately took them from us, and we weren't going to go there. I have too many good guys to pay that much money for somebody when I've got a great guy there, so we felt like we're gonna hold tight. We got a great team up and down the lineup, and this team's gonna fight."

Jared Ball added to this discussion on September 7, 2023

I think TRs approach is healthy. Logical to view it as a ROI (return on investment). Who were they going to bring in that was a sizable upgrade that justified spending the money necessary to get them. Shane Griffith maybe?? I can’t think of anyone else that gets you 15-20 more points at NCAAs that was a potential get.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 28, 2023

I didn't ant to start another thread for this question, so I just ask it here. I had an extra minute this morning and I was looking through InterMat's rankings and saw that Feldman is ranked 20th. How do you guys feel about that? Is it low or high or just about right? Or is it just that he's a rookie with no college results so he has to be there?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next