Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Bucks 23-24 Lineup
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on September 28, 2023

Michael 20 is way too low. Since he has no results previously from his redshirt year they usually will make you earn your ranking. He has wrestled hunter catka (who is ranked number 16) last summer, and beat him 2 matches to 0 in a freestyle world team wrestle off pretty convincingly. I think realistically he should be in the 5-7 range currently. I think the only clear favorites this year over him are kirkvliet and Hendrickson. After that 3-8 I could see him being in that next group.

He also nearly majored a NCAA qualifier two years ago while in high school. I think he would have been a borderline 20 ranked guy his senior year in high school. He has only gotten bigger and stronger since then.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 28, 2023

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I didn't ant to start another thread for this question, so I just ask it here. I had an extra minute this morning and I was looking through InterMat's rankings and saw that Feldman is ranked 20th. How do you guys feel about that? Is it low or high or just about right? Or is it just that he's a rookie with no college results so he has to be there?"

I think it's perfect for a guy who has not competed in a B1G dual or season. Make him earn any rise in the rankings.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on September 28, 2023

I think it's perfect for a guy who has not competed in a B1G dual or season. Make him earn any rise in the rankings.[/quote]

I agree completely. Although I think he has the capacity to finish way higher than 20th, he hasn't earned anything yet. Also, ranking a guy higher could put undue pressure/expectations on him. Let the kid determine his own value and ranking on the mat.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 28, 2023

I agree with all of you on why he’s ranked where he’s ranked…but it makes me think about how much I enjoyed what Brian Brakeman did, and how much I miss his work. Feldman’s ranking is reasonable and calculated and easily defensible…but it lacks any actual knowledge beyond data. If everyone thinks he’s a top ten guy, then sack up and rank him there. I’ve always thought the best “rankings” are the ones that were based on how the tanker actually thought they’d finish.

"I agree with all of you on why he’s ranked where he’s ranked…but it makes me think about how much I enjoyed what Brian Brakeman did, and how much I miss his work. Feldman’s ranking is reasonable and calculated and easily defensible…but it lacks any actual knowledge beyond data. If everyone thinks he’s a top ten guy, then sack up and rank him there. I’ve always thought the best “rankings” are the ones that were based on how the tanker actually thought they’d finish."

I mean I don’t know how hunter catka is ranked above him when they wrestled two matches and hunter got pinned once and scored zero points in two matches. At minimum Feldamn should be ranked one person in front of him. As long as Feldman is healthy he should no doubt be in top ten.

"I agree with all of you on why he’s ranked where he’s ranked…but it makes me think about how much I enjoyed what Brian Brakeman did, and how much I miss his work. Feldman’s ranking is reasonable and calculated and easily defensible…but it lacks any actual knowledge beyond data. If everyone thinks he’s a top ten guy, then sack up and rank him there. I’ve always thought the best “rankings” are the ones that were based on how the tanker actually thought they’d finish."

I mean I don’t know how hunter catka is ranked above him when they wrestled two matches and hunter got pinned once and scored zero points in two matches. At minimum Feldamn should be ranked one person in front of him. As long as Feldman is healthy he should no doubt be in top ten.

I mean I don’t know how hunter catka is ranked above him when they wrestled two matches and hunter got pinned once and scored zero points in two matches. At minimum Feldamn should be ranked one person in front of him. As long as Feldman is healthy he should no doubt be in top ten. I feel it would be a big disappointment if he can’t make the podium.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 29, 2023

Repeated post.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 29, 2023

"Repeated post."

Thrice.

My dude is all about getting his point across! :-)

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 2, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Tom Ryan just did an interview on flo and a couple of interesting points he talked about.

125. He finally mentioned Fenton. 125 will be a three way battle that I don’t think anyone knows who is going to win. I hope it is Vinny and he has a coming out party. It seems to me that Tom maybe is rooting for mccrone.

141. Tom Ryan wants Mendes to wrestle. Don’t think any chance of a redshirt for him. Mentioned he wants best lineup wrestling

149. Demilio was happy sasso moved up because that is the weight he thinks was best for him

157. Paddy was never going to 165. He planned to wrestle off sasso. Tom said this is healthiest paddy has been.

165. Mentioned hepner had good results and is an elite athlete. Said the question is can he sustain it for a 30 match season

174. He expects big things from Carson. He said he expects it to be like like pletcher when he moved up in weight. Point scoring machine.

Tom also sounded very optimistic about Sammy wrestling again and how much he loved the sport. I wouldn’t count on him wrestling this season but by what Tom said absolutely wouldn’t count him out for next season if all goes well. If Sammy did come back next year they would be a legitimate championship contending team with a healthy Sammy.

Luke geog was also interviewed and I am really pulling for him to win the spot to gain experience. Seems like he is gaining confidence."

Does this still look like the lineup? Geog down at 84 and Hoffman 97? Geog didn’t look huge at 97 but 13 pounds is 13 pounds.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 3, 2023

Is there any reason that we wouldn’t see both at 97? Hoffman is a seventh year guy (what is he 24?) who was injured for much of last year. I think one very common thing we’ve seen out of these extra pandemic years is that guys haven’t physically held up. Furthermore, Geog is a big dude. While it may be 13 pounds I’m just struggling to see him walk around during the course of a season depleting himself and still being effective. Do both go?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4