Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa Gossip
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 12, 2023

Lots of stuff flying around out there. Anyone who's on top of it want to summarize? Or is it too toxic to discuss?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on May 12, 2023

The reason chitttum left is because of Ferrari. They went to Blair together and Chittum was not a fan of the kid. Chittum was mad that the staff went after him is saying it lightly.

Another Iowa thing is some wrestlers are being investigated for betting on NCAA sports which is a violation. Not sure who however.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on May 13, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Another Iowa thing is some wrestlers are being investigated for betting on NCAA sports which is a violation. Not sure who however."

From what I heard it involves athletes from nearly every sport at both Iowa State and Iowa. I don't know specific names either.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 21, 2023

So the rumor on the street is Iowa is about to pay gable a truckload of money and he will be wrestling there.

Also they may be losing four wrestlers due to the gambling probe for the year. Woods, Cassiopi, Assad, and brands. The baseball player who got caught from Iowa was suspended the entire season.

If A.J. Ferrari is found innocent or pleads to a small charge he may also be a Hawkeye this year. Why hasn’t he wrestled any freestyle?? Seems to me he would be going and challenging for an Olympic spot. I could see him as one who could eventually take over the spot from Snyder and cox.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on June 21, 2023

Man I hope Gable doesn’t do that. He should have enough money from WWE.

I’ve heard A.J. days of college wrestling are done and couldn’t imagine a school taking a chance on him but I could be wrong.

If you can’t recruit or develop then buy.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 21, 2023

Iowas heavyweight AA Cassiopi is more than likely suspended this season. Iowa will haul out the biggest payday ever for a wrestler. I wouldn’t be surprised if it got mid 6 figures to even 7 figures. Other wrestlers have got 200k reportedly and gable is by far the biggest name if goes nil route.

After this season Tom better find some nil money or he will always be behind Iowa, Penn state, and Michigan no matter how good he recruits. The college game is no longer about recruiting and developing. It’s about how to improve your team through nil around the talent you already have. The bidding war era has begun. I can not not blame the kids. That can be life changing money for a lot of them. If I wrestled at a Mac school and did well and then was offered 6 figures a year to go elsewhere I won’t lie I would do the same. The system needs fixed somehow.

As far as Ferrari goes I am pretty confident that as long as A.J. is not guilty or a small charge he will be a Hawkeye. The Ferraris are a package deal and Iowa knows this. Iowa was very close to getting pd3 back in the day and pd3 I feel is much bigger red flag than Ferrari and Ferrari is a much better wrestler. Even Cael took Andrew long back in the day. Tom ryan would never touch him, brands on the other hand will as long as the charge isn’t too big. My only question really is why hasn’t he competed internationally and how much eligibility has he lost at this point? Would he be a junior?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on June 21, 2023

Nick with some HUGE news today!!!

Even if Iowa brings in Gable they will not beat Penn St, no matter who is o isn't suspended for them.

If this worth this supposed huge pay day? Not in my book but maybe its about the name and his accomplishments.

It's not like Iowa has any issue with attendance and stuff like that so a payday yes makes sense but a record breaking pay day? meh.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 21, 2023

Personally, I'd like to see Steveson remain a Gopher should he choose to compete. But I can see the appeal.

He wrestles a handful of duals in front of a raucous crowd and he gets paid a boatload of money. Cash, attention, endless publicity as he slices through opponent.

There are other programs who are going to rise out of nowhere to become major players at the D1 level. All it takes is one wealthy benefactor with an itch to influence the sport.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on June 21, 2023

An athlete being compensated for their name image and likeness is reasonable. But the smu model is flawed and corrupt with inherent conflicts backed in. It appears the rules are loose and open to interpretation with no consideration for how money can influence/corrupt/manipulate an under represented student athlete.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on June 21, 2023

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"An athlete being compensated for their name image and likeness is reasonable. But the smu model is flawed and corrupt with inherent conflicts backed in. It appears the rules are loose and open to interpretation with no consideration for how money can influence/corrupt/manipulate an under represented student athlete."

Sorry, what's the smu model?

Bill Splete added to this discussion on June 22, 2023

SMU model is where big donors pay athletes to incentive them to attend a particular university. The only difference I can see is the University and the donors appear to be open to coordinating efforts instead of hiding it…but it’s all same….break out the google machine.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 22, 2023

As a Michigan grad, I can assure you that our wealthy alums are all over it.

https://theathletic.com/4626280/2023/06/21/michigan-football-nil-m-power/

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on June 23, 2023

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"….break out the google machine."

That's what I did before I posed the question, but everything google gave me was either about Southern Methodist University or Source Measure Units.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on June 24, 2023

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1704731/plotsummary/?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on June 24, 2023

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1704731/plotsummary/?ref_=tt_ov_pl"

Thank you

► Add to the Discussion