Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa Gossip
Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on June 26, 2023

C.P. on Flo said last Thursday that Cassiopi is taking an Olympic redshirt. How that effects any possible suspension is hard to say.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 22, 2023

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"C.P. on Flo said last Thursday that Cassiopi is taking an Olympic redshirt. How that effects any possible suspension is hard to say."

According to Mineo and Iowa boards the following

Wrestling:
Tony Cassioppi--suspended for season?
Nelson Brands--suspended for season?
Abe Assad--suspended for season?
Cobe Siebrecht--suspended for season?
Cullan Schriever
Patrick Kennedy

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 22, 2023

Iowa Gambling suspensions released

Tony Cassioppi
Nelson Brands
Abe Assad
Cobe Siebrecht

>>>All suspended for full season.

Schriever and Kennedy partial suspensions.

All wrestlers have filed appeals

#bookemdano

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 23, 2023

Schools won’t release names due to FERPA laws, but Pat is typically on the forefront of “don’t give a rip” reporting. He always puts out information way ahead of time before it’s vetted sometimes, but…he’s right a lot.
The implications for the program are huge, but the writing was on the wall when they recruited and brought in the transfer portal guys. Right now, IMO, even though these guys are appealing I don’t think these investigative institutions can allow them to skirt the punishment through redshirting. My guess is they eat a year, which means all but Siebricht are done. Tough way to go out. I’m also curious why or how this is just occurring at Iowa/ISU. I’m sure there are other places this happens. Odd that two schools close in proximity are the ones getting hit. Brands being the son of one of the coaches has to sting a little extra.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 23, 2023

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I’m also curious why or how this is just occurring at Iowa/ISU. I’m sure there are other places this happens. Odd that two schools close in proximity are the ones getting hit."

Believe it's a state investigation, so it's specific to Iowa. If other states wanted to do the same, I think it's pretty obvious what they'd find.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 23, 2023

Very weird time in sports with the onslaught of gambling becoming legal across the country and almost every professional league fully embracing it.

The hypocrisy of it all is amusing. For example - the NFL has suspended players for up to 6 games for betting on other sports, meanwhile every NFL game and stadium has some level of sponsorship from one of the major gambling sites.

As long as you're of legal age and not betting on your own sport, I don't see the issue.

Different for college athletes, I suppose.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on August 23, 2023

The issue is the danger of an athlete becoming addicted, getting in a hole to a bookie or someone dangerous, and being in a position that they have to shave points or throw a game to settle a gambling bet.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 23, 2023

what defines gambling, in this instance, what code did they violate? did it involve other than wrestling?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 23, 2023

Jason - it’s much more regulated now that it’s legal and online. Highly unlikely any of these kids go through a bookie.

And you can’t gamble more than you can add to the account.

I understand the danger of betting on your own sport, but I don’t see the issue in betting legally on other sports.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on August 24, 2023

Let's say a basketball player becomes addicted to gambling, only bets on Australian rules football, runs their account empty and borrows money from someone shady. They keep losing and can't pay the money back. All of a sudden, the person who gave the loan sees that the spread for that athlete's game is 9.5, and they want the other team to cover. Pressure is applied. The other team covers.

Said athlete borrows more money, keeps losing and now is forced to throw a game. It's not likely, but not impossible. The rules are in place for a reason.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 24, 2023

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Let's say a basketball player becomes addicted to gambling, only bets on Australian rules football, runs their account empty and borrows money from someone shady. They keep losing and can't pay the money back. All of a sudden, the person who gave the loan sees that the spread for that athlete's game is 9.5, and they want the other team to cover. Pressure is applied. The other team covers.

Said athlete borrows more money, keeps losing and now is forced to throw a game. It's not likely, but not impossible. The rules are in place for a reason."

This can be applied then to any situation where an athlete would have to borrow money.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 24, 2023

Art Schlichter is a case study.

Degenerate gambler. An addiction. A hole in the armor. An Achilles tendon.

Gambling is just not good idea unless you are math genius that can calculate numbers and a figure out a glitch in the system.

Gambling and someone on the team with a bookie 'friend' has been around since I was in college.

Everyone is looking for that dopamine rush.

Best just to look at it as it is. The house always wins in the end; unless you are in that Ed Thorpe category.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on August 24, 2023

There’s a reason for the large palaces in the middle of the desert. Beating the house doesn’t consistently happen, even for a math genius. It’s best to not even start. Not even a little bit. The lines are set for a reason. Millions and millions of simulations. Just watch the “Bad Beats” segment on the late night Sportscenter.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 24, 2023

For me, it’s pretty simple. It was a rule they knew it was a rule, and they broke the rule. So to quote Terry Brands, “ you get what you earn.”

Bill Splete added to this discussion on August 24, 2023

More buyer beware…all buses are free to profit on…why would it be illegal to bet on football if it’s not your sport…but a donor can give u $250k to jump ship…Addiction is a problem that needs treatment. I don’t think any of this applies to the Iowa guys. They are of age and not their sport, they are marketing on campuses. They’re adults not children, don’t bet on your sport…not following unless they bet on thief matches if it’s not their matches, the only conflict is their match? Listen it’s all stupid? But this world is buyer beware…please beware of gambling…

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next