Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Rex’s NCAA Final
Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 21, 2023

Just watched Rex’s finals match online for the first time. A few notes:

1) LOL at the ref saying “pick it up, guys” 20 seconds into the match when they had been moving and fighting with some seriously heavy hands the whole time.
2) I also chuckled that Rex’s first takedown attempt was a slide by to a merkle. I only chuckled because Rex and I have expressed differing opinions of the merkle position before.
3) I like Rex’s roll to reversal off the whistle in the second period.
4) The production value of the event has improved quite a bit. The decor of this tourney seemed more like a local high school tournament than what we enjoy at NCAAs today.
5) 1993… wow! 30 years ago.
6) Good match, Rex! I’m curious how you reflect on your performance 30 years out.

https://m.facebook.com/BuckeyesAllAccess/videos/rex-holman-1993-NCAA-championship-match/2357145767916059/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 23, 2023

Ben-
I did what I had to do to win. That was the fourth time we wrestled that season and he had Gable as a coach.

He changed a few things before the Big Tens and was getting good instruction on how to beat me.

I still had a couple of tricks up my sleeve. He wrestled a disciplined match but made a couple mistakes. I probably felt confident when I had a good-sized lead.

I teach the elevator from bottom. If you are longer than your opponent; can usually catch someone if they try to ride you.

Was texting with a friend last night.

The 90s were bonkers.

Revisited crazy events around weight cutting/weigh-ins.

Weight cutting back in the day exposed weakness. Guys cut so hard that they were miserable and broke mentally.

Shaving head at a weighin.

Rick Monge didn't make weight at '93. He'd literally just received a cortisone shot for his knee. Hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid. Basically, a salt. He did everything as usual but could'nt lose it because his body would'nt give up fluids. That sucked as he would've scored points.

Last minute replacements due to poor life decisions.

Wrestlers crying in saunas (great name for a rock band)

Creatine coming on the scene.

3 wrestlers dying within 3 months due to weight cutting.

January 1998 matside weigh ins.

Crazy times.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on May 23, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Ben-
I did what I had to do to win. That was the fourth time we wrestled that season and he had Gable as a coach.

He changed a few things before the Big Tens and was getting good instruction on how to beat me.

I still had a couple of tricks up my sleeve. He wrestled a disciplined match but made a couple mistakes. I probably felt confident when I had a good-sized lead.

I teach the elevator from bottom. If you are longer than your opponent; can usually catch someone if they try to ride you.

Was texting with a friend last night.

The 90s were bonkers.

Revisited crazy events around weight cutting/weigh-ins.

Weight cutting back in the day exposed weakness. Guys cut so hard that they were miserable and broke mentally.

Shaving head at a weighin.

Rick Monge didn't make weight at '93. He'd literally just received a cortisone shot for his knee. Hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid. Basically, a salt. He did everything as usual but could'nt lose it because his body would'nt give up fluids. That sucked as he would've scored points.

Last minute replacements due to poor life decisions.

Wrestlers crying in saunas (great name for a rock band)

Creatine coming on the scene.

3 wrestlers dying within 3 months due to weight cutting.

January 1998 matside weigh ins.

Crazy times."

Damn.

► Add to the Discussion