Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Redshirting in Elementary School and Middle School
Brian Davis added to this discussion on March 25, 2008

Should school districts and OHSAA re-evaluate athletes who are intentionally held back a grade so they can physically mature another year and be more successful in a sport?

This was an issue several years ago with a football program where students were held back (repeating 8th grade) in hope of earning more playing time during a sophomore or junior year.

I know the current rules in some states allow students who have learning disabilities or some other type of handicap to participate beyond the "alloted" age requirement.

What are your thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

Schools should not be complicit in letting some father live out his dreams through his son.

John Joyce added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

Explain how you can stop it though. Unfortunately, you can't. It is ultimately up to the parent and we hope they do what is right. Some parents abuse the system, that is not new. There is no way to stop it. If you have a method I would be glad to hear it.

You are correct, it would be tough.

All I can think of, and I know this is a long way from foolproof, is for the OHSAA to somehow require some form of "proof" that each holdback is academic or in some way developmentally related. And I don't mean that little Tommy is not as physically developed as Dad would like him to be, but rather intellectual or psychological development.

This sure won't catch them all, but any that are caught can only be a good thing.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

The other issue that comes up is that the child may be held back for other reasons. Maybe he/she is not mature enough and started school late. Maybe he/she has a learning disability (ADD, dyslexia, etc) that holds them back. Maybe they have a birthday that is on the cusp, so the parents hold them back so they won't be youngest in the class.

Just because a student is a good athlete means that they are being held back to compete at a higher level. While this is undoubtedly true in some cases, how do you go about proving which is which?

You would probably have to look at the timing of the holdback. Kids who start late did it when they were 5 or 6, and probably (hopefully) not for athletic reasons. Other developmental issues can be identified and understood.

It is the middle school holdbacks, often accompanied by a transfer of schools by a student with a B average or perhaps better, that smells terrible and should be looked into.

Not everyone can be spotted, but it is kind of like a beautiful girl. Not everyone might agree on the exact definition, but usually you can tell one when you see one.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

My son has a September birthday and I have chosen to have him start kindergarten next year as he turns 6. As he will be one of the oldest kids in his class, I guess he could be considered a holdback.

I asked him recently if he would like to participate in an organized sport this summer.

Max: "Yes, Dad."

Me: "What sport?"

Max: "Frisbee."

If they ever play "ultimate" in high school, he' ll be a major stud.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

Hank: I don't consider him a holdback. If he goes straight through he will graduate at 18 like most other kids.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Max: "Frisbee."

If they ever play "ultimate" in high school, he' ll be a major stud."

Sounds like a future 4xer to me!!! Ultimate frisbee is a great sport.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Hank: I don't consider him a holdback. If he goes straight through he will graduate at 18 like most other kids."

Well, I expect him to be working full time to support me by age 15 so that's not a concern...

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Hank: I don't consider him a holdback. If he goes straight through he will graduate at 18 like most other kids."

Exactly right. My oldest had a late September birthday, and graduated 3 1/2 months before he turned 19. He was on a college campus for his 19th birthday.

The sad conclusion to this could be a boy who is heldback at the beginning, repeats 8th grade, redshirts in college, and is 25 as a college senior. Something just smells bad about that to me.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

i don't agree with the 8th grade redshirt at all...
i think that the OHSAA should declare ineligible for kids that are held back by a parent other than obvious grades or for an uncontrollable disability

Ben Roerig added to this discussion on March 26, 2008

Hank,
Ben Askren is really big into frisbee golf. Does your son have an afro? If so, your definitely on the right track.

I think the kids that get held back for athletic purposes are usually pretty easy to detect, as many of them are 8th graders with relatively good or even average records. Who oversees this process of holding someone back? Is it strictly between parents and school administrators, or is it a district thing?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 27, 2008

Quote from Anthony Windsor II's post:

"I don't agree with the 8th grade redshirt at all...
I think that the OHSAA should declare ineligible for kids that are held back by a parent other than obvious grades or for an uncontrollable disability"

Perhaps a tad extreme. If it is shown that they were held back for athletic reasons I believe they should lose their final year of eligibility.

Brian Davis added to this discussion on March 27, 2008

Thanks for the great responses on this interesting topic.

From what I have read, there are three reasons hold a student back.
1. Child starts school late (July birthday would start the following year.)
2. Academic issues.
3. other psychological/medical related issues (note that this is probably the one that opens the can of worms.)

If "red-shirting" is a problem, as many of the posts here would suggest, does OHSAA have a responsibility to "police" this issue...or should it be a matter for school districts to enforce on a case by base basis?

Hank, if Bowling is now a OHSAA sanctioned sport...your son may see a state tournament for Frisbee Golf by the time he is in high school.

<crazy>

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next