Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Best Ohio state wrestler to not All American
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 23, 2023

Another topic I think that is interesting for the off-season

I think I would have to go with Keshawn Hayes. Just got stuck behind McKenna and Jordan. Could have been a multiple time AA. Bad draw one year getting Sorensen in blood round who got upset.

T.J. enright. Had jaggers and Humphrey in front of him.

Malik heinselman injury ended his career when he had a solid chance. Beat noto who I think finished 4 pretty easily this year.

Jordan Decatur-him and demilio are pretty close. Has never got to wrestle a whole season at his correct weight. Hope to see him succeed somewhere else

Gary traub- stuck behind tate and eventually went to blood round at ncaas. Someone no one recruited out of high school.

Those are my top five I can think of. I’m sure I’m missing a lot.

Best one time all American. Colt sponseller

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 23, 2023

Johnni DiJulius had some impressive wins but never seemed to be at his best in March. Same can be said for Josh Demas.

Jason Johnstone was a stud who never got to compete at his optimal weight.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2023

JDJ beat multiple AA's in his career. His style made him defensible for top caliber performers but if you didn't know what was coming you were in trouble. Without digging in on Bucks history, he seems like the best call here.

Other guys who come to mind: Demas, Johnstone, Enright, Mark Martin, Heinselman, Cody Magrum.

I'm sure that "back in the day" there were other studs who have been forgotten. Ex wrestlers would

Best one time AA is not Sponseller. It's Keaton Anderson. His senior season he defeated 2x champ Ryan Bertin, 1x Champ Luke Becker, Multiple AA Grey Maynard and Multiple AA Shane Roller.

Ultimately we are arguing over who was stronger--Mighty Mouse or Superman. Everyone mentioned is a standout and there's no perfect answer.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 26, 2023

Johnni dijulius and demas I forgot about. Worthy names to add

Keaton Anderson was just a little before my college wrestling era. Didn’t start paying attention to college until I got into college 2005 and after lol.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 26, 2023

Near the top of my list is Ian Paddock. Was very good early in his career but ran into injuries and a family emergency. As I recall, Hunter Stieber may have displaced him from the lineup. Kid could never catch a break.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 26, 2023

In the time I’ve been paying attention (started in 06/07 season), it’s got to be DiJulius or Demas. Hard thing to track though. So many people that don’t ever finish on the podium.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 26, 2023

The number of scholarship wrestlers in the Tom Ryan era who exhausted their eligibility without an AA finish is fairly small.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 27, 2023

You would be hard pressed to find someone with the hit list that JDJ has, that consistently performed at a high level and managed to push deep into the tournament more than he did. So many hard breaking R12 loses. I think he was ranked as high as 3rd in a brutal 133lb weight class. His unorthodox technique was infuriating to watch, but man was he consistently great with it. If you haven’t kept up with him in the post grad years you might want to venture over to YouTube and take a look at his thrill seeking adventures. He’s bold.
Keaton Anderson had PSU level cradle capabilities from the top position. I’d put him up there with the best. His sixth place finish was not indicative of how good he was prior to being injured his senior year. I thought he was ranked number 1 at some point prior to getting injured. His high school senior state finals match against Grey Maynard was something else. Maynard had transferred in to St Ed’s his senior year and there was talk that he could upset the 2x defending champ from Pickerington. Not so fast my friends. I do think that Anderson might have been losing heading into the 2nd period, but then Maynard made the mistake of choosing bottom. I’m fairly certain I remember the audible disbelief from the crowd that occurred. I think Maynard ended up getting bonused or pinned as a result if memory serves.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 27, 2023

I just looked it up and the Maynard-Anderson match occurred in '97 when both were juniors. According the OHSAA web site, the final score was 11-4.
Hard to believe it has been that long!

https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/PastResults/1997.pdf

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 27, 2023

Maynard was winning 4-1 at the end of the first and then it was his choice. I remember the St Eds coaches pointing to bottom and shaking their fists. Then all hell broke loose. Pretty sure Anderson got three cradles and scored 8-9 points.

Now here's where it gets crazy. They met in college when Anderson was a senior at National Duals in Columbus. And the same thing happened. Maynard dominated the first period on his feet and was in on yet another single leg in the second. Anderson liked to do that crazy dive through his opponents legs and he was able to execute it and go right into his cradle. Next thing you know, the match was completely upside down and Anderson ended up winning by several points.

Then, the next round, the Bucks were wrestling Okie State and Anderson had Shane Roller. Same thing happened. Roller was winning on his feet, Anderson hit that dive through and went into a cradle and took over the match.

Roller and Maynard were both multiple AA's and Anderson was ranked #1 heading into Big Tens. He got hurt against Purdue (?) and I think it was while trying to execute that single leg dive through counter yet again. Not positive.

Anderson had to mff out of Big Tens, then went to NCAA's on a torn ACL and made the NCAA semis where he lost a very close bout to Ryan Bertin. He actually had Bertin in a cradle but Bertin kicked out!

Going on memory of course which is subjective and probably not entirely accurate. If anyone wants to make corrections or add some detail, go ahead.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 28, 2023

Hank- great read.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 28, 2023

As everyone knows I am not adept at pasting links to matches. However, YouTube has the 2003 Bertin Anderson semi if you put it in the search bar.

Anyone have the Anderson Maynard State Match?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 28, 2023

As everyone knows I am not adept at pasting links to matches. However, YouTube has the 2003 Bertin Anderson semi if you put it in the search bar.

Anyone have the Anderson Maynard State Match?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 28, 2023

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"As everyone knows I am not adept at pasting links to matches. However, YouTube has the 2003 Bertin Anderson semi if you put it in the search bar.

Anyone have the Anderson Maynard State Match?"

Bertin https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=keaton+anderson+wrestling

1998 Maynard vs Lange https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD7IOmUDoQ4
Toby Dunlap had the match with Steve Long assisting

I can not seem to find Anderson vs Maynard

► Add to the Discussion