Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeyes whose careers were cut short
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 28, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

" Another non-OSU one from Ohio, to go along with Felipe Martinez... Jamie Clark."

good call. I have vid of interview with David Taylor at Ironman when he visited back from Penn St. Asked who was Taylors toughest foe in high school, without hesitation he said "Jamie Clark"..Bad shoulder & unsuccesful ops ruined him his senior year.... his Jr year AWN had Clark No. 1 at 119, he was fo' reeeeeeel.

(Ben, recall u and i were mistakan for head table and given dinner box at US Open, by caterer who was miffed when she realized her mistake. Was it a reuben? )

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 28, 2023

Russ Hellickson took a lot of chances on talented but risky wrestlers during the early to mid 90's. I don't remember too many names but there were a number of super talented guys who weren't ready mentally/academically, etc...to compete.

I do think we ought to distinguish between guys with credentials who weren't ready for the grind of D1 college vs those guys who had the ability but got hurt/unlucky.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on June 30, 2023

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"

"Yeah Felipe was incredible as a freshman and sophomore. Someone mentioned his destruction of Ramos... who's the other top guy he torched, in a dual. Austin Ormsbee?
Also, Taylor had bumped up a few weight classes his senior year so wasn't quite as dynamic as he had been, as he was growing into his body and adjusting to stronger wrestlers."

An awesome dual. We torched Brands' squad that year. Quite a few huge wins/upsets."

In my mind this was the most thrilling wrestling event I have ever attended. It broke a 46 year losing streak against Iowa. To me this was the match that cemented Tom as head coach. This was the great recruiting class that ended up not quite measuring up but that night they came through with flying colors. The Stieber brothers both pulled off upsets against the number 2 and number 3 ranked wrestlers. The match was a St John's and the crowd went more crazy with every match. When we had to substitute at 174 a fellow named Joe held his lose to just a decision against his ranked Iowa wrestler and the place went wild. An unranked Derek Garcia pulled off a huge upset of a top 5 wrestler. It was the day before my birthday and it still is the best gift I have ever received

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 30, 2023

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"

"Yeah Felipe was incredible as a freshman and sophomore. Someone mentioned his destruction of Ramos... who's the other top guy he torched, in a dual. Austin Ormsbee?
Also, Taylor had bumped up a few weight classes his senior year so wasn't quite as dynamic as he had been, as he was growing into his body and adjusting to stronger wrestlers."

An awesome dual. We torched Brands' squad that year. Quite a few huge wins/upsets."

In my mind this was the most thrilling wrestling event I have ever attended. It broke a 46 year losing streak against Iowa. To me this was the match that cemented Tom as head coach. This was the great recruiting class that ended up not quite measuring up but that night they came through with flying colors. The Stieber brothers both pulled off upsets against the number 2 and number 3 ranked wrestlers. The match was a St John's and the crowd went more crazy with every match. When we had to substitute at 174 a fellow named Joe held his lose to just a decision against his ranked Iowa wrestler and the place went wild. An unranked Derek Garcia pulled off a huge upset of a top 5 wrestler. It was the day before my birthday and it still is the best gift I have ever received"

Mike: Are you saying a win over Iowa is better than Mister Brisket Hanger Steaks? (shameless plug)

Mike Stann added to this discussion on June 30, 2023

Well hank your steaks are the Caels of steaks. However, since I have never received one as a gift I can't really say. Only one way to find out...shameless plea for steak

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 30, 2023

Nothing wrong with a shameless plea for steak. The steak gods are benevolent.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 1, 2023

Monty Dagley.

Tied Greg Randall in a dual vs Iowa freshman year.

Injured his knee. Done.

The thing about this thread which goes unmentioned is the ability to withstand injury, burnout and distractions amongst other variables while maintaining a level of excellence in the practice room, track, weight room and ultimately on the mat in competition.

It takes a mindset and lifestyle that literally take a toll on wrestlers. Hence, the high turnover and reason for this list.

To me, the injuries, burn out and distractions can be mitigated with excellent life coaching and getting a wrestler reconditioned to be excellent.

The problem that occurs is that it is still only the strong will survive model. The kids with excellent coaching that are'nt in dire need of direction will survive.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence is not an act, but a habit.
-Really smart dude over 2000 years ago

Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 1, 2023

Also, I remember seeing Paul Bartolone wrestle in a dual and hold his own against an All-American type wrestler and thinking he was going to be really good.

I remember asking my dad, who was president of the booster club about him. "He is not going to be back." Even then, it was a bummer.

Dane Tussel, Richard Burton, Todd Darbyshire, Jeff Golz. These guys were all top talents in their own right.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 1, 2023

im gonna awaken some memories, this guy belongs with Johny McGhee, Chad Owens, Felipe Martinez----- Shjamil Pattie- how many remember 20 years later? i do.

D: July 15, 2021 at 10:51 a.m. Lorain Journal

LORAIN — It is one of the bigger what ifs in the history of Lorain County wrestling. In 1987, Shjamil Pattie was the toast of Lorain County as a member of the Elyria Pioneers. As junior, Pattie went into districts undefeated. In the finals he lost to St. Edward’s Alan Fried, who became a three-time state champion.

At the regional, Pattie avenged the loss with a 9-3 win. In the state final, the match went to overtime tied 7-7 after Pattie was deducted a point for grabbing clothing. Fried would win in overtime. (Fried then a senior, said it was the toughest match he ever wrestled, that he vomited and almost blacked out.)

Expectations were sky high for Pattie’s senior season. “When I started wrestling I did it for fun and there was a lot of pressure on me back then,” Pattie said. Not many knew what was happening behind the scenes in Pattie’s life. The summer after his freshman year his family moved to Detroit where no city high schools had a wrestling program. He stayed with an Aunt before her family broke up then with his sister before her house caught fire. By the time his senior year came around he was bouncing from house to house. His classwork suffered. He was suspended from the team for missing practice and then was declared academically ineligible. His finished his high school career 92-14 and never was pinned.

Pattie could have easily disappeared. He moved back to Detroit where he moved back in with his mother. He repeated his senior year and graduated. A few colleges were still interested in Pattie but he decided to serve his country. “I decided to go into the military and thought I could wrestle but that didn’t happen because of the first Gulf War,” Pattie said. “I was always in the field during wrestling season. I did wrestle one tournament there and I won.”

While stationed in Germany, Pattie met the woman who is now his wife. After leaving the military, he remained in Germany. He now works as a contractor for the U.S. government. “I have been to Kuwait and Iraq twice each in the last six years,” he said. Pattie returned to Lorain County to accept his membership into the Lorain County Wrestling Coaches & Officials Association Hall of Fame. “I was really surprised,” Pattie said.

“I made this trip especially for this. My boss said no problem but he wanted to see the plaque. I got the plaque so I still got a job when I get back.” Pattie was touched and honored. “If they would put me in the hall of fame again next month I would fly back,” he said. “My whole family is excited. I have about 50 family members here. It means a lot to them. I am really proud to be recognized.”

The match against Fried for the state title never ventures far from Pattie’s mind. “It always come back,” he said. “Sometimes I blame myself. Sometimes I blame my coach. Sometimes I blame Fried. Sometimes I blame the ref, but it was just a good match. I lost.”

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 1, 2023

Great story, Bob. Pattie was an incredible athlete. Broad shoulders, thin waist and powerful. Mike Buddie had the same build. I think it's called a diamond shape. Fried had dominated so many good wrestlers that no one could believe a relative unknown could pop up and challenge him. But Pattie was so physically gifted and hard nosed in his own right. What an amazing rivalry!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 1, 2023

Awesome post/story, Bob!

Mr. Pattie - if you ever read this, thank you for your service and thank you for the example of grit and persistence!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 1, 2023

Good story, indeed!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 2, 2023

"Monty Dagley.

Tied Greg Randall in a dual vs Iowa freshman year.

Injured his knee. Done.

The thing about this thread which goes unmentioned is the ability to withstand injury, burnout and distractions amongst other variables while maintaining a level of excellence in the practice room, track, weight room and ultimately on the mat in competition.

It takes a mindset and lifestyle that literally take a toll on wrestlers. Hence, the high turnover and reason for this list.

To me, the injuries, burn out and distractions can be mitigated with excellent life coaching and getting a wrestler reconditioned to be excellent.

The problem that occurs is that it is still only the strong will survive model. The kids with excellent coaching that are'nt in dire need of direction will survive.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence is not an act, but a habit.
-Really smart dude over 2000 years ago"

Thanks for sharing these insights. Having you on this forum is a gift.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on July 2, 2023

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Awesome post/story, Bob!

Mr. Pattie - if you ever read this, thank you for your service and thank you for the example of grit and persistence!"

He posted as himself on yappi, however, many years ago...

Eddie Jayne added to this discussion on July 6, 2023

I had a great interest in the Alan Fried vs. Shjamil Pattie trilogy: district, regional, and state finals. My dad coached Elyria High School at the time and I was in the stands watching all three matches in person. I was 10 years old at the time and I knew that Alan Fried was an outstanding wrestler. Pattie started wrestling in junior high school compared to Fried who started as a youth and competed for Longwood the dominant youth program in NE Ohio. For Shjamil to defeat Fried, one of his few HS losses, and to go into overtime in the state finals was shocking to many people.
In that finals match you see it so often how the Ohio H.S. refs feel like they need to call stalling on the winning wrestler. Pattie got called for stalling three times giving Fried 2 points. The second stalling call was when both wrestlers were battling in the small circle in the middle of the mat.
Around 7 years after this match (1993 or 1994), my dad was coaching at St. Eds and I was wrestling there. He got in touch with Shjamil to come in and wrestle with me for one practice. I am sure Shjamil had not wrestled in years and to this day I have never felt someone with the type of movement he had. No wonder he gave Fried fits. It is hard to describe but to me his movements were effortless like he was gliding around the mat. And his shots were so silky smooth and slick. And this was him after years away from the sport at a one-off practice.

Bob in your post you said it was Fried's senior season. It was actually Fried's sophomore season and his first of three state titles. Pattie was a junior in that state finals match and would not complete the wrestling season his senior year. A lot of what ifs there.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next