Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Buckeyes whose careers were cut short
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 7, 2023

Bob/Eddie -
Great stories re Shjamil Pattie, thanks for sharing.
I'm appreciative of his service to our country.
How could we not be?
But sheesh, I sure would have loved to have seen what he could have done his senior year, and/or in college, brawling with the likes of Fried and Brands, etc.
Again, thanks.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 7, 2023

Quote from Eddie Jayne's post:

"I had a great interest in the Alan Fried vs. Shjamil Pattie trilogy: district, regional, and state finals. My dad coached Elyria High School at the time and I was in the stands watching all three matches in person.

Pattie got called for stalling three times giving Fried 2 points. The second stalling call was when both wrestlers were battling in the small circle in the middle of the mat.

Around 7 years after this match (1993 or 1994), my dad was coaching at St. Eds and I was wrestling there. He got in touch with Shjamil to come in and wrestle with me for one practice. I am sure Shjamil had not wrestled in years and to this day I have never felt someone with the type of movement he had. No wonder he gave Fried fits. It is hard to describe but to me his movements were effortless like he was gliding around the mat. And his shots were so silky smooth and slick. And this was him after years away from the sport at a one-off practice.

Bob in your post you said it was Fried's senior season. It was actually Fried's sophomore season and his first of three state titles. Pattie was a junior in that state finals match and would not complete the wrestling season his senior year. A lot of what ifs there."

Thanks Eddie for posting more info and correcting me. As a 3x Div I state champ yourself at St Eds in early 90s, like your younger bro Mark, (and i think your coaching still somewhere near Columbus?) --we are pleased to see this forum add another high-quality poster. Welcome

u competed at st Eds in Div I (The Mentor Meatgrinder AAARRGGHHH) during the Walsh dynasty mid-90s, a GOLDEN ERA for Ohio wrestling, u had some great head to heads, Jim Johnson, Sonny Marchetti, Shawn Contos, maybe Willie Wineburg, Clint Musser-- who else?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 9, 2023

Three pages in and no mention of Will Betancourt?

Mark Wilt added to this discussion on July 10, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Three pages in and no mention of Will Betancourt?"

Well played lol

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on July 31, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci59xnYPPR0

For those of you wanting to watch the Fried / Pattie Match ~

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 1, 2023

I’m a HUGE Alan Fried fan, but I thought Pattie was the better wrestler when I watched it live and I feel the same watching it today. His defense was spectacular, and even though he played a counter game in this bout, I think the stalling call that put the match into overtime was unwarranted.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 1, 2023

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I’m a HUGE Alan Fried fan, but I thought Pattie was the better wrestler when I watched it live and I feel the same watching it today. His defense was spectacular, and even though he played a counter game in this bout, I think the stalling call that put the match into overtime was unwarranted."

Refs didnt do Pattie any favors but that's how they typically called stalling at this time. What stands out to me was that Pattie was riding Fried tough and then switched off to something else as time was under 30 seconds. He didn't need to and it took off the pressure and Fried immediately got out. Sht happens.

If you watch this match, Fried looks almost ordinary because Pattie is so strong and does a handful of things incredibly well. Fried was not ordinary. I will never forget how badly he beat up a fine Lon Lofton, Maple Heights State 4th placer, in the Mentor District Finals when they were seniors. The week prior, Lofton beat future D3 NCAA Champ, Mike Gillmor, in the Garfield Sectional finals, by wrestling a brilliant tactical match and hitting a late firemans. Gillmor had amazing defense and loved hitting lat whip counters to pin people.

Fried is still the only wrestler to win 4 Jr Freestyle titles in Fargo. He skipped Cadets! He was 129-6 in college with 5 of those losses coming to Tom Brands. When Brands was a high school senior, Fried, a sophomore, beat his ass. Dan Gable's coaching is the only reason Fried wasn't a 3x NCAA champ.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 1, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Refs didnt do Pattie any favors but that's how they typically called stalling at this time.
."

I have been watching a lot of these older videos. As Hank points out, things change and that includes the way stalling is called.
Watch how many times these guys go OOB's with no repercussions. Today they would be getting rung up any time they go OOB's and are not under direct attack. Of course, given that, they would wrestle differently as well.
When the current rules were put in place 4 or 5 years ago, the kids figured out pretty quickly that they needed to stay on the mat and not use the line as a safe haven.
Like I said, things change.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 1, 2023

Hank…The other thing people forget that made Fried look “ordinary” against the very best is the fact that he wrestled up every year. He could have made 105 his sophomore season, but St Edward had Castalana (2X placer, I think) down there. Pattie is clearly the bigger man. I remember he was ranked at 130 as a junior and Brakeman commented that he could probably make 125. He won the title that year by ten up at 135. Then, his senior year he dominated the eventual DI state champ at 145 in the MIT finals and his lone defeat was up at 152…then THREE YEARS LATER he’s a college 134-pounder.

Gilmor was a beast…third as a sophomore and then placed again as a senior, right? He was a fantastic pinner and a great example of a guy who went DIII and had phenomenal success. I wish more kids would choose smaller schools. Gilmor was poised to wrestle Fried in the finals but that’s the year the kid from Brunswick (whose name escapes me) stayed down in his semifinal with Gilmor and punched his ticket to the finals as Fried’s sacrificial lamb. Gilmor would’ve been much more competitive.

Jim…I get that they called it differently back then, but I remember watching this bout in real time as a freshman in high school and I felt that the first and the last stalling calls were not warranted.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on August 4, 2023

I’m throwing one out that was a beast as a youngster, coached by a guy that called his club Conrad’s Army(famous relatives, please google) finishes third his senior year behind Joe Collins and Robert Taylor taking third at 152lbs. His name is Aaron Shetter. I know he went to OSU but never saw him break the line up and didn’t know if he stayed on the team, but dang he could throw u around.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 6, 2023

Schetter's career was'nt cut short.

He was an excellent junior wrestler. Multiple time AA at Junior Nationals. Won as a senior in Greco.

His skillset was more geared towards Greco-Roman wrestling.

He did join Air Force and wrestled for Estrella for a bit. But, as with anything in this life, you need the right coaches, teammates and culture to be really successful.

And you have to willing to live a lifestyle rooted in discipline and sacrifice.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3