Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan in Buckeye HOF
Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 14, 2023

Well deserved, in my opinion. Turned an underperforming program into an annual national contender (most years).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 14, 2023

Very well deserved. Congratulations Tom!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 14, 2023

Coached an NCAA Champion Squad...a 4x NCAA Champ...an Olympic Champ and a couple different world champs...numerous NCAA Champs and AA's (averages around 4 per season)....Several Big Ten Team Titles....Built the Covelli Center...the best recruits want to come...those are reasons one gets into a Hall of Fame. In fact you build Halls of Fame for men like Tom Ryan.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on July 14, 2023

during his time as coach only one has been better

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on July 15, 2023

https://www.on3.com/college/ohio-state-buckeyes/news/tom-ryan-ohio-state-wrestling-coach-unique-perspective-nil-transfer-portal/

Tom's prospective and integrity really helps cement his legacy for OSU and the sport of wrestling IMO.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 15, 2023

Tom Ryan is always a little too optimistic is my concern. He says he has a top 12 guy in every weight class so doesn’t want to go to transfer portal to over recruit basically.

125 and 184 are not top 12 and may not even qualify. I mean I hope they do great but if you can grab someone out of the portal you do.

157 paddy is borderline top 12

165 I’m not believing either until hepner gets more matches under his belt. Four weights of some concern that need addressed

If he doesn’t go to transfer portal he will never win another title. That’s just the way college wrestling has become. PENN state will over recruit in a heart beat. But for him to just sit and say he basically has 10 strong weight classes is just a straight lie.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on July 15, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

" But for him to just sit and say he basically has 10 strong weight classes is just a straight lie."

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and beliefs (and I do not wear rose colored glasses) but your last statement is more than a little out of line IMO.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 15, 2023

Who is closer to the truth? 125 and 184 don’t qualify for nationals or 125 and 184 all American for buckeyes next year?

Malik heinselman was barely a top 12 wrestler and was well ahead of the rest of the 125s on the roster. There is no publication that has these two weights anywhere near top 12. Maybe it’s not a lie because Tom Ryan really believes his kids are that good but no evidence is supporting his statement.

149 may even be an area of big concern if sasso decides to go 157.

Point is there are many weights of concern for the upcoming season and Tom Ryan doesn’t believe that’s the case so didn’t choose to go to portal.

Difference between Cael and Tom. Cael went to dean over beard
Cael is going messenbrjnk over facundo essentially.
Cael is ruthless and wants to win and will hurt feelings, Tom is a genuinely good guy that may let that get in the way of winning.

This season is PENN states anyway and so maybe that had something to do with saving the Nil and transfer portal. It is better I do believe to take a look after this season. See how guys develop. Where will davino go? Will kilkeary and rotogokze and geog and Walsh be that guy who can be a high all American? Will paddy improve ?

There are too many question marks and it is too early to evaluate maybe future talent but I think it’s way too much to say every guy in the lineup is a top 12 guy. No one out there believes that for this season. Not trying to be mean or out of line but no way everyone in the lineup this season is a top 12 guy. Even demilio wasn’t until nationals last year. I would be happy with 7-8 guys that high. 197 is no give me either.

For sure guys in top 12
Sasso
Kharchla if healthy
Bouzoukis
Feldman

Borderline
Demilio
Hepner
Paddy
Geog/ Hoffman

Outside
125. Could be Fenton/ kilkeary / mccrone
Shumate/rotogozke

That’s giving the two freshman the benefit of the doubt and hoping Carson stays healthy.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on July 16, 2023

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

" But for him to just sit and say he basically has 10 strong weight classes is just a straight lie."

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and beliefs (and I do not wear rose colored glasses) but your last statement is more than a little out of line IMO."

Agreed.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 16, 2023

Yes, Tom Ryan perhaps overestimates his lineup. What in the world does that have to do with his credentials for the Hall of Fame?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 16, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Yes, Tom Ryan perhaps overestimates his lineup. What in the world does that have to do with his credentials for the Hall of Fame?"

I think Nick’s post was a direct response to the interview link posted immediately before Nick’s post. And yes, those are a little off topic.

► Add to the Discussion