Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan interview interesting points
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 15, 2023

Two interesting things he mentioned on his recent interview

1. Lou Rosselli is back at ortc as a coach. That is great news. Maybe I missed something but I never saw this

2. Sasso may go 157. It is his decision and he had a very hard cut. The staff is letting him decide and he’s still undecided.

3. Tom Ryan says every starter will be recruited from him and not the transfer portal. I really thought Fenton could start since he had more success in high school and beat Mccrone but Tom Ryan is basically saying other wise.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on July 15, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 15, 2023

Link?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 15, 2023

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=to39vb0RbvI

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 16, 2023

I found TR’s perspective on NIL interesting. He clearly doesn’t subscribe to it as a means for betterment of collegiate sports. Time will tell if he’s right, although many said it would crush professional sports as well. Not the same, clearly, but I find his stance refreshing.

Last edited by Jared Ball on July 16, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 16, 2023

I’m glad to hear Lou has landed at the Ohio RTC! Of course it’s tough to know what that means since the Ohio RTC barely exists at this point. I shall be cautious in my expectations: the RTC was so great when Lou was there. It would be a tall order to build that anew even if the landscape hadn’t gotten a lot more competitive in the last 5 years. Plus NIL competing for $ potentially.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 16, 2023

Great for the Bucks, but I’m thinking this is not likely his final destination. Probably a hold over until he decides what he wants to do next. His son is a senior at Olentangy Liberty this year. I’m not sure if others are coming behind him, but after this year I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up somewhere else.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 16, 2023

Hearing of the return of Rosselli was great news. Though Ben is right, there is no longer much of a program. And Jared is likely correct that it is a short term landing spot. I’m hopeful that it may be the beginning of a rebuild, because Sammy has freestyle aspirations, as do Mendez and Bouzakis, if not Feldman. None of them will likely stay without a stronger RTC, and how might this affect future recruitment?

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on July 20, 2023

Having Rosselli back at the RTC benefits everyone. He's on a very short list of the best technical coaches in the country.

Maybe he'll be happy to stay? He did well financially at OU (didn't they give him an extension right before they let him go?), so perhaps grabbing the next highest paying gig won't be his primary focus. Also fairly certain TR can get him a reasonable salary if there's a will to do it.

If everything goes well, there should be a pipeline of talent coming through the program ready to compete internationally at the RTC. It has to start with OSU guys, and you need someone like Lou in place to keep the graduates around. From there you can add and strengthen the RTC.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 20, 2023

Why can’t I find the interview where Tom Ryan says Sasso is likely going up to 157?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

Drew: wrestling saved my life podcast. The link it posted on bucknuts wrestling forum

► Add to the Discussion