Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Fargo
Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 18, 2023

Women’s wrestling has concluded for both U16 and Juniors. Ohio managed two junior finalist and one champ at #200. Of note, Nick Bousakis’ sister took home a title. I also saw Ohio champs Dearwester (Harrison), and Leng (Marysville) managed AA finishes amongst a smattering of others.
The U16 and Junior men’s tournaments pick up today in the round of 32. Of note, current and former champs: Oyoub (Coffman), Birden (Coffman), Wilson (Scioto), Joy (Wadsworrth), and Herman (Brecksville). OSU recruit Herman lost in the first round by a point but has tech’d his way back thru his first couple of consi matches at 152. All others are in the round of 32.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 18, 2023

Savannah Isaac of Toledo Whitmer wins her 3rd stop sign at 200 after doubling up last year in juniors and 16U.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 18, 2023

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Women’s wrestling has concluded for both U16 and Juniors. Ohio managed two junior finalist and one champ at #200. Of note, Nick Bousakis’ sister took home a title. I also saw Ohio champs Dearwester (Harrison), and Leng (Marysville) managed AA finishes amongst a smattering of others.
The U16 and Junior men’s tournaments pick up today in the round of 32. Of note, current and former champs: Oyoub (Coffman), Birden (Coffman), Wilson (Scioto), Joy (Wadsworrth), and Herman (Brecksville). OSU recruit Herman lost in the first round by a point but has tech’d his way back thru his first couple of consi matches at 152. All others are in the round of 32."

Correction: Nick B's sis lost 2-2 (at 94 lbs) to her fellow world team member from IL (who took 3rd in their boys state tournament at 106).

#IHateCriteria

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 19, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"Women’s wrestling has concluded for both U16 and Juniors. Ohio managed two junior finalist and one champ at #200. Of note, Nick Bousakis’ sister took home a title. I also saw Ohio champs Dearwester (Harrison), and Leng (Marysville) managed AA finishes amongst a smattering of others.
The U16 and Junior men’s tournaments pick up today in the round of 32. Of note, current and former champs: Oyoub (Coffman), Birden (Coffman), Wilson (Scioto), Joy (Wadsworrth), and Herman (Brecksville). OSU recruit Herman lost in the first round by a point but has tech’d his way back thru his first couple of consi matches at 152. All others are in the round of 32."

Correction: Nick B's sis lost 2-2 (at 94 lbs) to her fellow world team member from IL (who took 3rd in their boys state tournament at 106).

#IHateCriteria"

Watched the match. Those two are studs

Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 19, 2023

I've watched some and have seen some great wrestling.

That being said; I'll reiterate that freestyle scoring is seemingly purely subjective in the grey areas.

I just watched an Ohio wrestler lose 8-6; who I could've scored 10-0 for him. Granted, I'm not an official, but I did wrestle for a long time and understand position better than most. The other wrestler got the benefit of the doubt on two separate occasions for 4 pointers.

It was garbage scoring to me. Meh.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on July 19, 2023

Scoring in freestyle has gone through its "changes," but as Rex noted, initiation seems very subjective., It's hard to understand.

I'm a Buckeye and rooting for all the kids, but Joy is one that I hoped would be in the finals. He lost a close one to the Ill kid, hard-hand fighting from two tough kids.

Of all the elite kids, the feedback is he is the most gracious with his time and technique. He goes to work with no special partners and is willing to work with anyone. All I hear is how he is a solid kid, and obviously tough as nails on the mat.

This is coming from the wrestlers, not the coaches, which I'm sure they hold him in high regard too, But when your teammates comment like that, it speaks to his character and leadership. Well done

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 19, 2023

Grey Burnett inserting his name into the 'next great Ohio HS wrestler' conversation.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 19, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I've watched some and have seen some great wrestling.

That being said; I'll reiterate that freestyle scoring is seemingly purely subjective in the grey areas.

I just watched an Ohio wrestler lose 8-6; who I could've scored 10-0 for him. Granted, I'm not an official, but I did wrestle for a long time and understand position better than most. The other wrestler got the benefit of the doubt on two separate occasions for 4 pointers.

It was garbage scoring to me. Meh."

I made a similar comment recently and took some criticism. I don't mind being criticized but I will point out...I was right! There is no way to understand exactly how the refs are going to score a variety of situations. When I was coaching, it was more clear cut. Now its a mess.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 20, 2023

Not a stellar showing for the Buckeye state. 16u with two champs and a smattering of AA candidates. Team Ohio finished 4th. Juniors had no finalist but five or six AAs. Team Ohio finished 9th. On the Buckeye front incoming freshman Brock Herman did not place but wrestled back from an opening round loss to win multiple matches in a row. Ethan Birden took 3rd at 160 following a semifinal loss to the eventual champ from Wisconsin. As already mentioned Mr Burnett has had quite the off season. World team trials runner up and now a Fargo title. Burnett is currently ranked 5th in the nation as an incoming freshman. None of the guys ahead of him were at Fargo. St Ed’s sophomore Ethan Timar is ranked three slots behind him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 20, 2023

"Not a stellar showing for the Buckeye state. "

That's the new normal for Ohio

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

You’re right. It’s a weird dynamic now with Fargo. 16u might be a better indication of the competitive ability of a state. Your elite level guys make world teams and don’t compete out there anymore, and hardly any seniors go. States like Jersey, Ohio, and even PA aren’t sending their best. You know who is….Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. Somebody like Burnett won’t be long for Fargo and he hasn’t wrestled a high school match yet. It’s also not a cheap trip. I see go fund me accounts pop up everywhere around this time of year

► Add to the Discussion