Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Updated season lineup
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 19, 2023

Very interesting from Tom Ryan’s mouth on wrestling saved my life podcast.
Sasso is very likely going 157. Mendes may be the 141 also bc of that.

Looks like lineup will be
133 bouzakis
141 mendes
149 demilio
157 sasso
165 Hepner/ paddy

Mendes redshirt will probably depend on sasso moving up. Tom won’t leave a huge hole at 149. He said he will know within next week but more than likely sasso is going 157

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 19, 2023

Nick: Interesting stuff. What about the rest of the lineup?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 20, 2023

I thought Mendes is/was a lock for a redshirt. I also don’t subscribe to a D’Emilio move up to 149, but I’ve been more wrong than right on many things. I’m curious where guys like Gavin Brown (3x Ohio champ) and Isaac Wilcox fit in. We know TR loves Wilcox, as he was a spot starter and vaunted blackshirt last season. I also don’t know if anyone pushes Shumate for the spot at 184.

Freshman (hs last ranking/wt)
125- Kilkeary (#9/126)
141- Cannon (#1/138)
174- Welch (#2/170)
197- Rogotzke (#3/195)

My guess
125- Depending on how Kilkeary looks and whether or not Rodriguez can make the weight it’s likely that Brandon McCrone is your starter. We probably see a couple of guys wrestle here.
133- Bousakis
141- D’Emilio. RS Mendes. No reason to have him wrestle with an AA returning. Spot starts for Cannon.
149- I think Sasso stays down. He will be the preseason #1 with his title completion likely being PSU, unless Gomez comes out of retirement. Outside shot that the super frosh Shapiro out of Cornell is a contender. I think you wrestle Brown a lot early in the year to let Sammy ease into the weight. The new two hour weigh in rule helps with duals here.
157- Paddy. No reason to think otherwise
165- I know many of us are penciling in Hepner, and by all accounts he has had some impressive wins (Amine, Kharchla, and Wilcox), but he has also been inconsistent during his three year stint on the team, and has had limited matches. He likely wins the spot, but I’m not shocked if we see heavy doses of Wilcox either.
174- Carson. I definitely think that Welch is the real deal. I think he wrestles the full accompaniment of RS frosh matches in duals this year. He will be a staple in the Buckeye lineup in the coming years.
184- This is where it gets interesting. Both Geog and Hoffman did not wrestle this freestyle season. Shumate has wrestled here and earned some notable victories. I think Geog likely attempts to go down, but I think he struggled to maintain. Whoever ends up here will be competitive, but certainly not at Romero levels yet.
197- Assuming Hoffman is back, but have heard nothing. If he is, he starts. Big boarder Regotzke gets some dual exposure.
285- Feldman. Probable spot starts by Missista and company.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 20, 2023

Jared Tom Ryan just said a couple days ago Sasso is likely to go 157. Mendes may still wrestle he also said. I am in favor of a redshirt for mendes but then 149 is a big void. My guess if they try to move demilio up to 149 and maybe mendes or Decatur goes 141.

Jared Tom Ryan just said a couple days ago Sasso is likely to go 157. Mendes may still wrestle he also said. I am in favor of a redshirt for mendes but then 149 is a big void. My guess if they try to move demilio up to 149 and maybe mendes or Decatur goes 141.

Jeff Mowrer added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"My guess
125- Depending on how Kilkeary looks and whether or not Rodriguez can make the weight it’s likely that Brandon McCrone is your starter. We probably see a couple of guys wrestle here.
133- Bousakis
141- D’Emilio. RS Mendes. No reason to have him wrestle with an AA returning. Spot starts for Cannon.
149- I think Sasso stays down. He will be the preseason #1 with his title completion likely being PSU, unless Gomez comes out of retirement. Outside shot that the super frosh Shapiro out of Cornell is a contender. I think you wrestle Brown a lot early in the year to let Sammy ease into the weight. The new two hour weigh in rule helps with duals here.
157- Paddy. No reason to think otherwise
165- I know many of us are penciling in Hepner, and by all accounts he has had some impressive wins (Amine, Kharchla, and Wilcox), but he has also been inconsistent during his three year stint on the team, and has had limited matches. He likely wins the spot, but I’m not shocked if we see heavy doses of Wilcox either.
174- Carson. I definitely think that Welch is the real deal. I think he wrestles the full accompaniment of RS frosh matches in duals this year. He will be a staple in the Buckeye lineup in the coming years.
184- This is where it gets interesting. Both Geog and Hoffman did not wrestle this freestyle season. Shumate has wrestled here and earned some notable victories. I think Geog likely attempts to go down, but I think he struggled to maintain. Whoever ends up here will be competitive, but certainly not at Romero levels yet.
197- Assuming Hoffman is back, but have heard nothing. If he is, he starts. Big boarder Regotzke gets some dual exposure.
285- Feldman. Probable spot starts by Missista and company."

Shumate will likely be the 184 unless he gets hurt. Geog won't see 184 again. He'll wrestle off against Hoffman for the starting spot at 197.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

184 I think will be shumate to start off but I wouldn’t be surprised if rotogotzke the true freshman could challenge him. he will be at 184. He bumped up to 195 for the season to have his own vision quest and take on the top ranked guy in the nation up a weight class at state and nearly succeeded but fell short. He is a big move pinning machine. He has beaten both the penn state mirosala recruit twins also.

125 is probably the weight I’m most worried about. I hope kilkeary is clearly better than mccrone and Fenton or it’s gonna be a weight where Ohio state won’t win much in the big ten.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

Watching Rogotzke, I don't think he's ready. He relies on a lot of big moves that just aren't going to fool people at this level.

Brady has mentioned that there are people who think he's a stud but I think he has a significant adjustment to make to be a viable college wrestler.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

I have a hard time believing Tom Ryan will start a project in McCrone over an acclaimed recruit in Kilkeary. In reality, neither guy is ready to compete every night in the Big 10. Same is true of the UVA. But when in doubt, go with the guy with the strongest credentials. That’s VK.

My guess is Kilkeary gets a heavy dose in practice of Lou and Logan. He’ll be fine. His pace and physicality will translate.

Shumate may be better now but I see shumate as a guy who basically has peaked and Rotogotzke as a guy with a much higher ceiling and has a lot of potential . He nearly bumped up and beat the number one kid in the nation up a weight class. With a few technical adjustments that he can learn in the room he can be a problem for anyone potentially. I am much more excited to see his future than Shumates.

125 Beric Jordan just opened up as he decomitted. Is Beric Jordan a kid Ohio state goes after and challenge kilkeary?

Shumate may be better now but I see shumate as a guy who basically has peaked and Rotogotzke as a guy with a much higher ceiling and has a lot of potential . He nearly bumped up and beat the number one kid in the nation up a weight class. With a few technical adjustments that he can learn in the room he can be a problem for anyone potentially. I am much more excited to see his future than Shumates.

125 Beric Jordan just opened up as he decomitted. Is Beric Jordan a kid Ohio state goes after and challenge kilkeary?

Jason Fair added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

Jordan would be interesting but with Kilkeary and eventually Davino, plus Bouzakis at 133, there would definitely be an interesting logjam. Put me in the camp that believes both Kilkeary and Rogotzky will be better than many here seem to think. However, that could also just be wishful thinking on my part.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Shumate may be better now but I see shumate as a guy who basically has peaked and Rotogotzke as a guy with a much higher ceiling and has a lot of potential . He nearly bumped up and beat the number one kid in the nation up a weight class. With a few technical adjustments that he can learn in the room he can be a problem for anyone potentially. I am much more excited to see his future than Shumates.

125 Beric Jordan just opened up as he decomitted. Is Beric Jordan a kid Ohio state goes after and challenge kilkeary?"

You can say that again. :-)

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

Bucks are set at the lower weights, so unless the staff views Jordan as a career 125 and a clear upgrade over Kilkeary, I’d pass.

The need is at the middle weights. Gotta believe they’re pursuing Fargo champ Vince Bouzakis. Anyone else on the radar?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next