Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Updated season lineup
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

Kilkeary I am not entirely sold on. He was ranked number 9 in his weight class in high school which doesn’t scream all American at the next level. . Ohio state needs to expect all American at each weight class or recruit it to find one to contend. If davino can make 125 then I say we are set. He looks like an immediate impact guy. If he can’t make 125 I have no idea what they do with this lineup. Bouzakis looks like a career 133. So either mendes or davino has to go 149?? Middle weights are the place Ohio state needs to look the hardest. Upper weights are the least I am concerned for the future.
174 Rocco best recruit we could have got
184 rotogotzke. I am high on him unlike some other people. You don’t win two super 32 over big national ranked fields without being elite. And beat two guys Cael recruited on top of that. He is exciting to watch and looks to score
197 geog another guy I can’t wait to see his year two Jump. You can tell Tom
Is excited for his future.
285 Feldman 4x AA if healthy.

Birden Herman and cannon are all great additions but not sure about huge NCAA point scorers type.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 23, 2023

I think this is where a guy like Marcus Blaze plays into the recruiting focus. While he is a 120 currently, he is only moving into his junior year. I hope the contingent of Bousakis, Mendes, and whatever Buckeye coach is there do some convincing at U20 worlds next month. Blaze’s older brother Joey wrestled 160 as a senior, so I have to think genetically the Marcus will get a little bigger. Maybe the 149/157 range? Perhaps.
Regarding Sammy. TR did say that the decision to move up was Sammy’s. You have a defending national runner up out of PSU that looks like the next bet thing. You also have a slew of returning AA’s in comparison with 149 which cleared out with the exception of Sammy. It’s national title or bust this year for Sasso. 49 is the better option, IMO.
Kilkeary is electric. He has also grown into a full size 125. You don’t win three PA state titles without a little moxy. 125 is not a deep weight either. Wide open for someone to step in

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 24, 2023

Jared: in his first interview he said it was Sammy’s choice. In his most recent interview he claimed it is likely he is going 157 but it would be determined this week. Sasso imo is the significant favorite at either weight class. Haines will be great but isn’t a favorite over sasso. When he wrestled up weight in freestyle he looked much better and energized. I think he will have a season like Luke pletcher’s senior season. Once the weight cut didn’t detriment his performance his results were noticeably better.

As for future recruits I think Bassett and blaze are the two biggest targets right now.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on July 25, 2023

I think Vinny gets thrust into the program right away. He is our best option on paper at this point and 125 looks to be a pretty weak weight overall. Hope he surprises many people.

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Kilkeary I am not entirely sold on. He was ranked number 9 in his weight class in high school which doesn’t scream all American at the next level. . Ohio state needs to expect all American at each weight class or recruit it to find one to contend. If davino can make 125 then I say we are set. He looks like an immediate impact guy. If he can’t make 125 I have no idea what they do with this lineup. Bouzakis looks like a career 133. So either mendes or davino has to go 149?? Middle weights are the place Ohio state needs to look the hardest. Upper weights are the least I am concerned for the future.
174 Rocco best recruit we could have got
184 rotogotzke. I am high on him unlike some other people. You don’t win two super 32 over big national ranked fields without being elite. And beat two guys Cael recruited on top of that. He is exciting to watch and looks to score
197 geog another guy I can’t wait to see his year two Jump. You can tell Tom
Is excited for his future.
285 Feldman 4x AA if healthy.

Birden Herman and cannon are all great additions but not sure about huge NCAA point scorers type."

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 30, 2023

Just FYI, Flo has the 24 minute interview with Tom Ryan available this morning. It is available to all, not behind the paywall.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 30, 2023

After listening to that video here is the more than likely lineup
125 kilkeary/mccrone
133 bouzakis
141 mendes or Decatur if he redshirts
149 demilio
157 sasso
165 hepner/ paddy
174 kharchla
184 rotogotzke/ shumate
197 geog/ Hoffman
285 Feldman

Additional notes

Feldman is weighing 245 and is stronger and faster than the Ohio state linebackers on the football team Tom claimed.

Geog is basically fully committed to 197 and continues to get better and thinks it will be a great wrestle off with Hoffman

Tom claims he has no transfers so it makes me wonder if Fenton is even on the team. If he is he is a non factor bc Tom is adamant that all starters are his recruits.

Demilio is moving up and sasso are moving up

Mendes is still unsure whether he redshirts but Decatur is a guy that can fill in if he needs. Mendes is done being a 133

He mentioned 184 as shumate or rotogotzke or geog but thinks geog is too big. I think just mentioning rotogotzke means he will really challenge or take the spot.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 30, 2023

Pretty much my take on the lineup as well based on Tom’s comments, other than I will be shocked if anyone other than Mendez ends up at 141. Not sure why he was being so coy about Mendez redshirting.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 30, 2023

I agree with you don. Mendes is more than likely the starter based on Tom Ryans willingness to put the best team out there. However if for some reason he doesn’t the buckeyes always have Decatur in their back pocket.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 30, 2023

First of all, Tom Ryan is a remarkable speaker. I listen to him at age 60, with my chronically stiff back not to mention some knee and ankle issues, and I just want to start training.

A couple thoughts:
--I think he'd love if Geog could make 184 because he probably sees the lineup as stronger with him and Hoffman in it. But I also believe he feels that option is unlikely.

--He appears to want Sasso and D'Emilio to move up. That creates a gap at 141. Decatur does not get mentioned. Is he still seeking a transfer? I've never seen him in the portal. Is there some other issue? Personally, I'd love to see Mendez compete but I think the team would be better off long term if he redshirts.

--He sees the problems with the NIL and how it will affect smaller programs. His solution is to suggest all transfers lose a year of eligibility. Seems like a reasonable idea but I doubt it will happen.

--Did the Bucks ever recruit Fenton? He's still listed on the transfer portal as having enrolled at Ohio State as of June 2. Still, Tom Ryan probably didn't let something slip his mind and my guess is Fenton will not be at Ohio State.

--I love the idea of an NCAA Duals championship as well and see the potential it has to become a much more televised event than the NCAA tournament.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 30, 2023

As Hank says, Decatur is not mentioned. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard his name mentioned by anyone associated with the team. My sense is we won’t see him in the lineup for any meaningful amount of time, if at all.

Mendez is the guy at 141. I’m worried about now, not three years down the road. No reason to sit a returning AA given the potential replacements.

Tom Ryan wanted Sasso at 157 last year. Sammy opted for 149. First I had heard that.

I get the sense Bouzakis drives Tom nuts a little bit but that Tom is loving the results so he deals with it.

Paddy Gallagher will have to win a tough wrestleoff, at 157 against Sasso or at 165 against fellow St. Ed’s alumnus Hepner.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2