Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan was Ohio State’s fifth choice
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

On a recent podcast episode of Wrestling Changed My Life, Tom Ryan revealed he was Ohio State’s fifth choice when Russ Hellickson left in 2005.

The others, per Ryan, were:

1. Tom Brands, Virginia Tech
2. Cael Sanderson, Iowa State assistant
3. Rob Koll, Cornell
4. Zeke Jones, Penn

This excellent crop illustrates just how much Gene Smith and Ohio State prioritized winning after decades of mediocrity. Any of the five would have come and won big.

Brands went to Iowa to replace Jim Zalesky, who was shoved out by Iowa in fear of losing Brands. Sanderson replaced his boss, Bobby Douglas, and Koll and Jones stayed put. Ryan says that Jones had a huge buyout if he were to leave Penn.

OSU also interviewed Terry Brands of Chattanooga, Tom Borrelli of Central Michigan, and the Hefferman brother from Illinois.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 21, 2023

It was a great interview.

After listening, I did a little research on Hofstra. Tom Ryan mentioned their success and here’s what I found. This was the team he left…

2007 (Auburn Hills)
Hofstra - 7th (60.5pts)
7 NQs
4 AAs
141: Griffin-3rd
157: Strouse-4th
165: Patrovich-6th
197: Weidman-3rd

Pucillo placed 6th for OHST. Rovelli (HOF) was the #8 seed but went 1-2. Pretty impressive build at Hofstra for Coach Ryan. And he’s done amazing things here too.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

Mark, as you heard, had Hofstra released those guys to OSU, Tom feels the Bucks would have won a title.

Pucillo was an exception because he had asked out before there was any inkling Tom was leaving.

What Tom Ryan did in building Hofstra into a top 10 program is nothing short of remarkable.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"On a recent podcast episode of Wrestling Changed My Life, Tom Ryan revealed he was Ohio State’s fifth choice when Russ Hellickson left in 2005.

OSU also interviewed Terry Brands of Chattanooga, Tom Borrelli of Central Michigan, and the Hefferman brother from Illinois."

AND Tommy Rowlands who was a legit candidate behind Ryan, oh yes he was #bookemdano knows

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Mark, as you heard, had Hofstra released those guys to OSU, Tom feels the Bucks would have won a title.

Pucillo was an exception because he had asked out before there was any inkling Tom was leaving.

What Tom Ryan did in building Hofstra into a top 10 program is nothing short of remarkable."

Drew: I thought Tom's point was that he thought that HOFSTRA could win a national title. If he had a few more years there, he could have made it happen type of thing. But then he took the Job at OHST.

It seems your point is that Tom wanted to take all of those guys with him, but Hofstra would not release them (except for Pucillo for the reason you listed), but had they released them, OHST would have won the title sooner than 2015.

I'll have to go back and listen a little closer.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

I believe Patrovich also transferred to Ohio State and wrestled 165 for the Bucks, but only had one year left.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 22, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I believe Patrovich also transferred to Ohio State and wrestled 165 for the Bucks, but only had one year left."

I think that was his brother. Something in my mind is telling me Mike (Hofstra) and then Ryan (OHST). And I think Ryan ended up transferring out. …interestingly enough, to Hofstra!

► Add to the Discussion