Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Rowlands pins Crump, Hellickson tears ACL
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 25, 2023

Pretty good article, re one of the biggest days/wins in OSU wrestling history:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11156712-ohio-state-coach-tore-acl-during-wild-victory-celebration?fbclid=IwAR0qIodKlmsqlVEzmKerS9wgBAJdWjChw_Nw0_aBvufhyRHeG26qIo-IPYw_aem_ARVbM2m4qU_EH8FAVhC4DlcE2vgL9LkG_ESoi5pIW1M73mWFfqWhRGBI3C3GHFFjZnQ&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 25, 2023

I was lucky enough to be in attendance for that one. Simply one of the coolest sports moments I've ever witnessed.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on July 25, 2023

"Ohio State was the first program to defeat Oklahoma State and Oklahoma on the same day."

That is a pretty awesome trivia fact.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 26, 2023

There’s some names on that list I haven’t thought about in twenty years. Plus some real notable coaches. Jared Lawrence, Pat Popalizo, Damian Hahn. Just to name a few.
On an Ohio front you get Rudis co-founder and 2X state champ Jesse Leng, Robert Sessly (state champ AA). Sessley was probably the last great Columbus City League by product (Beechcroft HS). DeSales alum Nick Preston was fantastic. Was he a multiple AA?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on July 26, 2023

I remember Preston and Rowlands were a great 1-2 punch at the end of the lineup. I could be wrong, but I think back then they always started the duals at 125? So if it was a close meet, you wanted to finish with Nick and Tom.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 26, 2023

Yes, Preston was a two time AA. Third as a senior with his only loss at the national tournament to Cael Sanderson.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 26, 2023

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"I was lucky enough to be in attendance for that one. Simply one of the coolest sports moments I've ever witnessed."

I was also there and agree with your sentiment.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on July 26, 2023

Truly a great accomplishment to beat okie state and ok on the same day. I want to focus on the wrestlers and none on Russ. He did more harm than good. He said some of the dumbest things I have ever heard on my recruiting trip, and he does not have the tools to lead an organization to consistent success. OSU always had tough guys, and there was individual success, but we can all agree that current leadership is how an organization should carry itself.
Tommy Rowlands was a beast, as many of those guys were. We can argue about Russ's inability to manage, coach, or develop a program, but the guys that wrestled were tough. Yes, I am taking an opportunity to take a shot at Russ. He deserves it. I saw the way he talked to Blubaugh and Jordon and tried to get us to talk smack out of Kevin and Jim. He didn't expect Scott and I to respect the guys we wrestled with and didn't bite, plus I had to let him know my feeling about his approach and how he really didn't understand Ohio wrestlers. We are competitive but respectful, if not complimentary. Russ was phony tough, the kind that puffs up but, in the end, isn't real. Tom is a tough guy. I don't agree with all his choices, but it's clear what professional leadership looks like and accomplishes as opposed to the Russ tenure. I never had to talk to an adult like that in such a setting, but his behavior could not go unchecked. You may disagree, but my experience is first person and my own, and we could have done better for the athletes and the program. Thankfully we made the move.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on July 26, 2023

Bill -
Sorry to hear about your negative experience/feelings toward Russ Hellickson.
There are others who feel differently.
He came in following my junior year, after I’d opted for “early retirement”.
So I didn’t know him well personally.
But the guys I’d wrestled with had him for the next two years, their fourth and fifth.
And my sense from the ones I’ve spoken with is that he’d had a great, positive impact on their lives.
In fact, I erred on the side of checking with one of them, tonight.
His words: “Great coach, great man”.
Again, I’m sorry to hear that you feel differently.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on July 31, 2023

I drove up from Cincy and was in the first row at St. John when this happened. Was on the mat celebrating soon after it happened.

21 years ago and I still can’t believe that happened.

► Add to the Discussion