Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Marcus Blaze in U17 Finals
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 4, 2023

What an amazing performance so far. Good luck to him in the finals.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 5, 2023

Now a world champ with a 4-3 win over India. First round he won 2-1 over Iran. Two tough opponents and he got it done. He shows tremendous sportsmanship--as well as skill--throughout. Class kid and a great accomplishment from my perspective. Congrats!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 6, 2023

Nice little arm drag series. Who is the last Ohio u17 world champ? Carr won a jr world title. I’m pretty sure Logan was a U17 silver.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 6, 2023

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Nice little arm drag series. Who is the last Ohio u17 world champ? Carr won a jr world title. I’m pretty sure Logan was a U17 silver."

Harry Lester in '99.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 6, 2023

Also, I don't see any world in which this kid could be seen as surplus to requirements at Ohio State. I don't really care if he's not the perfect lineup fit, I want him in my room yesterday.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 6, 2023

Blaze and Burnett are the two best collegians prospects from Ohio. Both from Perrysburg. These two need to be on the top of Ohio States wish list.

Blaze may not be a diehard buckeye since he moved in from Michigan. Not sure where Ohio state stands with him. Also might hurt his brother is going to Purdue.

Burnett I would guess Ohio state is in good standing with the Stieber connection to the family.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 7, 2023

I’ve see on other forms report that Blaze is at ORTC a lot. Any one else hear that?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on August 9, 2023

James, I’ve heard the same.

Purdue is a fine and improving program, but world champs don’t go to Purdue, not even to wrestle with their brother.

Ohio State’s bigger competition for Blaze I’d think is Cael Sanderson and Penn State.

Something to consider: instead of Marcus going to Purdue, maybe Joey Blaze joins up with Marcus at a college via the transfer portal. I hope not, as it would be bad for Purdue and bad for the sport, but it’s the reality we’re in.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 9, 2023

Just some thoughts.

High school athletes can train with RTCs. Coaching really matters in the game of position. Probably the difference between winning a Worlds and maybe third. You would feel different levels of indebtedness to people who helped you achieve your goals until they were no longer able to do so. Put another way, you would stay with them as long as things kept progressing.

Wrestlers are getting good money and guidance that affects trajectory but not 2-3 million which is a game changer. The money is nice but ultimately it is about being the best in wrestling. We are not baseball or football. Putting a dollar amount on our sport does'nt translate as well especially with the numbers being bandied about.

Lastly, brothers don't necessarily achieve the same levels of success in athletics and attending the same institution isn't always the highest priority. As a brother, you typically want the best for your brother.

Also, Marcus Blaze is excellent and his World Championship is testament to that. USA Wrestling is getting better as there are more outliers and kids that take the sport very seriously from a young age with resources to do so.

Objectively speaking.

No hype.

Blaze is positioned further on that developmental curve than anyone else his age.

He sets the bar by which elite is measured for his age group.

Last edited by Rex Holman on August 9, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 9, 2023

It's tough to predict the development of a athletes so young, but I wonder if you go back 1-2 years if Coach Ryan and staff would take a closer look at the elder Blaze.

Joey was a 3X champ and last year at State went fall, fall, tech, 9-3. Pretty impressive.

He was 5th at Ironman as a Junior, didn't compete there as a Senior.

Not to say OSU didn't recruit him hard and he just preferred Purdue - could absolutely be the case.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on August 9, 2023

Ethan, as a blue chipper, Joey Blaze was a late bloomer.

As a senior, already committed to Purdue, he won Super 32 and finished ranked first nationally at his weight. He was not at that level during his recruitment.

Both Blazes have jumped levels. Speaks highly of not just them but the Perrysburg coaches.

Also, I want to give Purdue credit. In beating Spencer Lee, the Boilermakers and Matt Ramos pulled off one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history. They are doing things well.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 9, 2023

Drew - good points.

I need to remind myself that OSU recruiting at such a high level that a Sophomore D1 state champ is no longer necessarily a blue-chip prospect. National success is a priority.

Perrysburg looks to be a pipeline that needs to be prioritized.

► Add to the Discussion