Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Jesse Mendez makes U20 Finals
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 17, 2023

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"

"I hadn't even heard of Mesenbrink until all this transfer portal news and NIL stuff came into play after NCAA's. It is interesting Mesenbrink wasn't even a top 50 recruit. It possibly to be great at FS like Mesenbrink is, but maybe just average/decent at folkstyle? Maybe he just matured late, and I know he is a great wrestler who will only get better in that PSU room."

Are we more nervous to see Mesenbrink or Haines suit up at 157 next year for the Nitanny Lions in terms of who poses a bigger title threat to Sasso?"

I would say Haines. Mesenbrink is a stud freestyler but doesn’t have the folk style results yet to scare me. He seems like he went to PSU to focus on freestyle based off an interview I heard.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on August 17, 2023

Mendez sitting is a bad idea and I doubt it happens. Not only is there not a viable replacement - I'm not counting on Decatur at the moment - but the guy is on fire and should contend for a national title. Taking a year off might blunt that momentum. Bucks should be all-in for a team trophy.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 18, 2023

Askren hinted on an FRL that Messenbrink was a huge PSU fan. As soon as they expressed interest it was over and unlikely that anyone else was in the running. Askren’s guys have a tendency to be late bloomers, outside of O’toole. I know he looked impressive this week, but as others have indicated he hasn’t always trended in that direction.
As far as Decatur goes, do we even know if he is on the roster or attending school at OSU? I thought he had graduated and was in the transfer portal.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 18, 2023

"It possibly to be great at FS like Mesenbrink is, but maybe just average/decent at folkstyle? "

Yes -- think Braxton Amos. Now by "average/decent" we're talking about average/decent at the highest DI level. Like saying that guy in the NFL is average.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 18, 2023

Mesenbrink was ranked in the top 20 on some big boards by the time the last round of rankings came out, and that was even before he placed at Junior Worlds last summer. I imagine he'd have been top 10 if they were re-ranked in August.

He just decided to honor his initial commitment. When it came to PSU vs. OSU I don't think that was a fight the Bucks were ever going to win.

Also don't think he's who TR was referencing when he mentioned "paying for a few extra points at NCAA's." I think that related to some of the 1 or 2 year rentals that were out there.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 18, 2023

TR might not be talking about PSU at all and maybe referring to Iowa bringing in a guy who placed 7th at 165 to compete with a guy who was r12 of guy.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 26, 2023

I finally saw the Mendez U20 finals on youtube, looked like a bunch of pushout points. Jesse came close to a TD with a single but failed to bring the kid down to the mat. This international scoring baffles me.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3