Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: 2023 World Championships
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 16, 2023

What an amazing day for Team USA. 14-1. Vito, Zain, and D.T. in the finals, with Mason P in the Bronze medal match (falling to Geno P 8-6).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 16, 2023

Incredible start! I am looking forward to the rest of the event.

Go USA!

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on September 18, 2023

Snyder gets absolutely killed. He won’t medal for first time ever. The Russian tank will have to lose to qualify USA for the Olympic weight.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on September 18, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Snyder gets absolutely killed. He won’t medal for first time ever. The Russian tank will have to lose to qualify USA for the Olympic weight."

Snyder looked more than a little lost there. Perhaps he needs to move to Iowa City to get him over the hump. Maybe they have the answer (kidding of course, hard not to think about the what-if's)...

Anyway, Sadulaev could definitely lose. He's looking very mortal and Tazhudinov is killing everyone. Wouldn't bet on it, but there is a chance we see Snyder/Sadulaev for bronze.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on September 18, 2023

The kid that beat Snyder trains at Sadulaev club so curious to see what happens.

Snyder should come back to ORTC or go to Nebraska OTC because he hasn’t won anything at NLWC that he didn’t win at ORTC.

Tazhudinov I am not sure will win even if he is better. He trains at saduluevs club and uses saduluev coach. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is ordered to lay down/forfeit to saduluev. This is Russia not the USA. Kyle may get screwed on a chance to medal if so.

Other thoughts

David Taylor may be the best pound for pound wrestler in the world. He is getting better at the age of 32, which is very rare in this sport.

Zane richards and chance marstellar are not the best us representatives at the weights. I really wish Burroughs and Gilman would have made the team. I was afraid they would both have these kind of results.

Gable stevson would have won fairly easily. It’s amazing how good he is even when training wwe full time. Hopefully he makes an Olympic appearance.

Saduluev was getting worked and then withdrew. Looks like saduluev may be done. Kyle should be able to get bronze now, probably fairly easily.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on September 18, 2023

Is Spencer Lee done with FS wrestling? And why did Steveson even wrestle in the Final X if he wasn't going to Worlds?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 18, 2023

Congrats to Stevan Micic for winning a world championship as a Serbian rep. He's an American but you do what's necessary to make a world team. Great performance by an outstanding young man.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 19, 2023

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"The kid that beat Snyder trains at Sadulaev club so curious to see what happens.

Snyder should come back to ORTC or go to Nebraska OTC because he hasn’t won anything at NLWC that he didn’t win at ORTC."

What could he win now that he didn't at the ORTC?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 19, 2023

Micic, Amines, Finesilvers, Rivera all reppin other countries. Very smart. They don't have to worry about making the team and can just train. Great results and couldn't be happier for them.

They (Micic, Amines) are also HUGE stars in their respective countries.

Snyder medals in his NINTH consecutive World tournament. AMAZING -- and doesn't get enough credit in the US for it (like Big Bruce B before him). When he gets to D.T.'s age, he could have 14 medals. The 20 yr old is a problem. His length will give KS fits like D.T.'s does for Yaz. Will be very interesting to see how he adjusts for future bouts.

A reminder for the "KS is past his prime and won't ever win again" crowd -- JB was tech'd in Rio. Dake was tech'd in Tokoyo. They both won gold after that.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on September 19, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Snyder medals in his NINTH consecutive World tournament. AMAZING -- and doesn't get enough credit in the US for it (like Big Bruce B before him). When he gets to D.T.'s age, he could have 14 medals. The 20 yr old is a problem. His length will give KS fits like D.T.'s does for Yaz. Will be very interesting to see how he adjusts for future bouts.

A reminder for the "KS is past his prime and won't ever win again" crowd -- JB was tech'd in Rio. Dake was tech'd in Tokoyo. They both won gold after that."

It's not the first time Snyder's been dominated either. Lengthy explosive athletes can give him some trouble, and it appears Tazhudinov is going to be giving everyone trouble for the foreseeable future.

The Bruce comparison is a good one. I don't really see Snyder adding more gold to his cabinet, but perhaps 14 medals actually is achievable, as insane as that sounds.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on September 19, 2023

How much longer does Kyle compete? Let’s also not forget about jden cox. Jden can still beat him. I’m sure he does fine financially with wrestling but maybe he goes the UFC or coaching route after this Olympics. His window to ever win gold again is shrinking by the year. Ecspecially with this new young kid that will only get better. Do you compete another Olympic cycle if you he loses to jden or lose to the tank/ 20 year old again. Also who is the next young American to unseat him? I always thought it would be A.J. Ferrari. Will he wrestle again or go straight to mma?

I am on the side that thinks Snyder has finally started to regress just a tad bit finally. Lucky for him saduluev did also.I am counting that more towards an injury however. Sounds like it may be serious. I hope he heals up bc I want to see all the best in the world compete for Olympics.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on September 19, 2023

Here’s a Flo link to 20 year old Tazhudinov’s wins against Snyder and the Russian Tank:

https://fb.watch/n9CkprWffv/?mibextid=v7YzmG

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 19, 2023

Nick: I enjoy your posts and often find nuggets of wisdom swimming within your verbage. But you lose me when suggesting Cox might still beat Snyder. Cox has had two opportunities to take him on. First, he scrwed up the weigh in. Then he got hurt and no one knew it. Cox will be remembered as a great competitor but his best days are well behind him. Mentally, he's not the guy to beat a superstar...at least not anymore.

I don't think Snyder has faded. He simply ran into a guy whose style and youth make him impossible to beat at this time. Snyder has always been a better version of Nate Tomasello. Long guys can give him trouble but they still need to be really good. Well Tazhudinov is both really long and incredibly good. Kudos to him for beating Snyder and Sadulaev back to back and making it look easy.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next