Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: 2023 World Championships
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on September 19, 2023

Hank do I think Snyder is the favorite? Yes. Can cox beat him? absolutely I still believe. I never thought Zane Richard would beat Gilman and I never thought marsteller would ever beat Burroughs. Cox is the only one domestically that really has a chance. Weigh ins will not be a factor again I’m sure. If cox isn’t 100 percent he has no chance. A healthy cox is a tough match for Snyder or anyone else in the world. Cox may also not wanted to show his arsenal before the trials imo. Saduluev wasn’t healthy and clearly wasn’t the same. You need to be healthy at this level to even have a chance. Spencer Lee couldn’t even get away with it at the NCAA level even though he was way ahead of anyone else during a healthy season. Cox has proven himself internationally and has beaten snyder and David Taylor before. No one has seen cox getting beat badly lately. We have just seen him not compete and drawn conclusions that he isn’t the same. I am giving him the Benifit of the doubt that it’s going to be a very interesting match.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

Nick...When you say Cox has beaten Snyder before, are you talking about their bout in high school or did I miss a match on the senior circuit?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

They went back in forth in high school so I guess the only matchup they had was the Rudis event in Detroit as seniors which Kyle won 5-5 and 7-2. Cox has beaten dake, Taylor, Bo nickal, Myles Martin, Kollin Moore domestically and two world titles internationally. If both are healthy this will be a razor thin match I believe. All I’m saying is don’t count out jden cox. I am looking forward to this matchup along with dake and Burroughs for the trials. (I know I’m overlooking chance but he will not be the best representative for our country imo).

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

If I'm remembering correctly (which there's a good chance I'm not) Cox won one bout against Snyder at Fargo when they were in high school. It may have been greco? Since then, it's been all Snyder. There's not a single metric where they compare favorably for Cox except that they both won three NCAA titles.

Obviously, Cox is a fantastic wrestler, but there are levels and (at least up to this point) Snyder has been a different level than Cox. Is it possible that Cox beats Snyder in the trials and wins gold in 2024? Absolutely. Is it likely? Nothing about the last ten years points to that being the case.

Just one guys opinion, and I'm wrong a lot.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

After Worlds does anyone care to predict their Olympic lineup for Paris?

Really curious where Vito fits in?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

Tazhudinov is the next big thing. He wins for the foreseeable future at 97 kg if healthy.

He was uncontested, which is an amazing feat, especially against the group of which he competed.

Sadulaev showed up in not top shape. Snyder is excellent but a younger more athletic wrestler with a unique style and length will be difficult to figure out. He did get played on the second four point move as Tazhudinov kept enough space between he and Snyder with leg positon. Snyder thought it was a run him out of bounds or power through scenario which has worked against everyone else. This guy is not everyone else. Could have scored by switching to a single and working from it.

Young lion asserting himself. This is the dynamic that plays out as history repeats itself.

Tazhudinov overtie offense and length is going to give anyone fits of frustration.

Back in the 80s, I had videos of the World Championships. When a guy was dominant, he would own the weight class. Definitely part of our collective infatuation with sport. Being so great that no one compares.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

Michael…… cox and Snyder went 2-2 in high school. 1-1 in both freestyle and Greco apiece.

Rob my projected USA lineup for Olympics
1. Vito… if can’t make the weight Gilman
2. Retherford
3. Dake
4. Taylor
5. Snyder
6. Steveson

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

J'Den Cox's drop off over the last few years is bizarre. The missing weight... the injury... all the "moving" to different training centers... then a few unexpected losses. Seems some focus is not there. He had been stunning for a few years leading up to that.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

Let’s be honest. Bumping up to 97 kilos, Cox looks pudgy. This ain’t his best self. His days of hoping to beat Kyle Snyder are probably over.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

I don't think Kyle's days of winning gold are in the past -- though Taz and Sad will be difficult for anybody to beat.

Kyle wants to wrestle until he's 40. :) He LOVES the sport.

Cox can beat Snyder, he just won't 2 out of matches.

I don't think he's slipped any. Sheesh, he's only 27.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 20, 2023

Yui Susaki. Japan's 50 KG. Freak.

Quick. Technical. Tenacious. P4P #1 woman in the world. Elor is #2.

In a chaotic world championships filled with chaos and upsets, the Japanese women restored order.

At these championships, heading into tomorrow, the are 32-3. Gold medals at 50, 55, 57, 65,& 76 kg. In the Gold medal matches at 53 and 62 kg. Bronze medal matches at 68 & 72 kg. Only 59 kg didn't place -- she lost to the American Paige.

And this year isn't the outlier. It's the norm. Japanese women are more dominant than any country in any style - maybe in any era. They are so impressive.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on September 20, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 21, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"J'Den Cox's drop off over the last few years is bizarre. The missing weight... the injury... all the "moving" to different training centers... then a few unexpected losses. Seems some focus is not there. He had been stunning for a few years leading up to that."

I have similar thoughts.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 21, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"...
And this year isn't the outlier. It's the norm. Japanese women are more dominant than any country in any style - maybe in any era. They are so impressive."

I do not care what Dan Strope says about this topic. I will maintain the same stance I have held for over a decade on this matter. I will not be swayed by his beguiling speech.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2