Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ferrari eligibility
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 7, 2023

Case was dismissed. Three years of eligibility left. Looks like he will be joining Iowa more than likely. I can’t wait to see brooks vs Ferrari. I think Ferrari is the favorite.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 7, 2023

Ferrari after two years away has little chance against Aaron Brooks.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 7, 2023

There seriously needs to be a reality show covering the Brands brothers + Ferrarri family. Sounds like a powder keg.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 8, 2023

Promo for the reality series.

Branding the Ferraris.

You have to check in to see what happens next.

Off the chart drama.

Toughness, Style, Winning.

Crushing opponents, Fist pumping, Finger pointing and Flex appeal.

You asked for it, you got it.

Climb aboard the most the crazy intense ride of your life and experience life as an Iowa Wrestling Icon.

All jokes aside. I would totally watch a reality show with these guys. Probably grow the sport more in one year than it has in a decade.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 9, 2023

Ferrari hasn’t competed for a little while but he wasn’t just twiddling his thumbs. He may have character problems but his work ethic has never been questioned. Guy lives in the gym and has been training this entire time. He loves to show it on social media. He is a HUGE 197 and his size may give brooks trouble. If I had to pick who I would take by March I’m putting my money on Ferrari. This will be the most anticipated matchup of the tourney for me.

Rex I am a fan of A.J. and personally find his antics humorous. Being on an Iowa team will only encourage it. If he doesn’t make it in MMA he will definitely be a superstar in the WWE one day. he has much more of a wwe peronality and looks than gable does. . The sky is the limit for this kid as long as he stays out of trouble which he hopefully has learned his lesson and realize what he has to lose.

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Ferrari after two years away has little chance against Aaron Brooks."

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 9, 2023

"Ferrari after two years away has little chance against Aaron Brooks."

I’m with this.

Also, I thought there was some talk before he was charged that Ferrari may go heavy.

Is 97 for sure?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 9, 2023

197 I think is where Iowa would like him to go. There were rumblings that he may go heavyweight. They have Ben Kueter at heavyweight who is a true freshman. He is a top overall recruit that also plays football. If Ferrari ends up at heavyweight that will essentially probably end Kueters wrestling career I believe. Kueter isn’t going to play two sports if he is riding the bench for years. Also if Ferrari goes heavy I see him behind steveson, Hendrickson, and kirkvliet this year. So for both the team and individually I’m sure 197 is where he is targeting if possible.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 9, 2023

Nick-

I agree that he could be a superstar in WWE.

I see Aaron Brooks having his sites on David Taylor.

A matchup between Brooks and Ferrari is a very even. I would give edge to Brooks due to Cael and what PSU has been able to accomplish.

No question about his work ethic; just his decision making.

Needs his dad to reel him in and help guide him. Maybe get a couple others that are willing to provide good advice and discipline. i.e Brands

One of the problems is that the persona blurs with person.

There is Neon Deion and Deion Sanders. One in the same but two different things.

Admittedly, I stopped following him on IG when he rode a four-wheeler while maintaining a semi-automatic weapon. It was dumb. That stuff should get a hard no from pops. I don't know how long it was after that but auto wreck that he was lucky to walk away from.

My point is that he was blurring that line and not being objective or professional in his thinking.

If he is going to promote an over-the-top personality; really needs to keep it separate from A.J. Ferrari.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 10, 2023

Per Pat Mineo the plan is to enroll second semester and go 197.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 14, 2023

Brooks is better. Only way A.J. wins is a 1 point, sit on the ankle and ride him out -- which I personally don't see happening.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 14, 2023

Penn State’s track record of overcoming a size disadvantage at the upperweights is extraordinary. Max Dean, Q. Wright and Anthony Cassar all won titles after going up in weight and being small for the class. Same goes for Bo Nickal when he demolished the field as an undersized 197.

Aaron Brooks is world class. Anthony Ferrari is not. Brooks will pick him apart, something like 7-3. Keep in mind, a takedown is now three points. That is of course if the match happens. Hard to count on Ferrari avoiding off mat issues.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 15, 2023

What makes you think that Ferrari isn’t world class but brooks is? Inactivity because of a pending court case? Brooks lost to Coleman last year. He lost to Myles amine two years ago. Ferrari beat Amine 5-1. Brooks will pick him apart… not seeing that. This is a razor thin margin. If they wrestle 10 times i believe it could be split. Ferrari is quicker, bigger, and stronger imo. Brooks has the Cael factor but Ferrari won a national championship as a true Freshman and it wasn’t a fluke. I don’t think anyone is giving his the respect he deserves. Kid is an animal and no one in the NCAA works harder than him period. I guess we will see. And can brooks deadlift 655 pounds. Doubt it lol

"Penn State’s track record of overcoming a size disadvantage at the upperweights is extraordinary. Max Dean, Q. Wright and Anthony Cassar all won titles after going up in weight and being small for the class. Same goes for Bo Nickal when he demolished the field as an undersized 197.

Aaron Brooks is world class. Anthony Ferrari is not. Brooks will pick him apart, something like 7-3. Keep in mind, a takedown is now three points. That is of course if the match happens. Hard to count on Ferrari avoiding off mat issues."

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 16, 2023

“Kid is an animal and no one in the NCAA works harder than him period.”

I find these statements fascinating because this can’t possibly be proven — or disproven — because of a few clicks on Instagram or X. I’m also confident many D1 wrestlers work as hard, if not harder.

I certainly hope the match takes place. It would be fascinating.

I favor Brooks simply because he seems the better wrestler from a technique standpoint. Putting up massive amounts of weight is helpful but based on some videos I doubt anyone puts up as much as Kyle Snyder at 97 kilos. He is now probably 3rd on the ladder behind a guy who looks like he would have trouble carrying a bag of Mr. Brisket* reubens. His length and technique are his advantages.

*shameless product placement advertisement

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 16, 2023

You are right. Everyone at the d1 level works very hard and I am sure some harder than Ferrari. Tom Ryan has stated that Luke Geog seems to be Ohio States version of living this way and that’s why I’m excited for his future. He just has a reputation as a very hard worker. He talks about how he did hours of yoga a week to become more flexible and how much extra work he actually put in to win his ncca title. He doesn’t seemed to have slowed down either.

Myles amine is I would consider a world class wrestler and I don’t think that’s debatable. He has two world medals and Ferrari beat him. Ferrari had two convincing wins over the guys who were in the finals last year in Nino Buccorassi and Sloan.

A 22 year old Ferrari I would only imagaine as a better version than a 19 year old Ferrari. The 19 year old Ferrari gave up one takedown all year in a very tough weight class. Even a true freshman Kyle Snyder wasn’t winning NCAA titles. Redahirt freshman David Taylor couldn’t even start. Cael lost in his redshirt. It is unbelievable what Ferrari did at a upper weight class at 19. Even steveson finished second and is an all timer.

This is my most anticipated matchup since Dake/Taylor. Sure Brook may win but but I see this as a toss up type match. 7-3 no chance. He’s not getting taken down more than once. His defense is almost impenetrable. Not to mention at 19 he was walking around at 225 and probably bigger now. The more I think about it the more I like Ferrari as long as maybe his mma training may have got in his way for progression?? Everyone else seems to disagree with me. I just hope this match actually happens.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 16, 2023

Nick, well reasoned argument. I’ll still take Brooks, in part because Ferrari has missed so much time, but you offer a strong defense.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next