Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Sammy Sasso update
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 27, 2023

Jaggers talked in an interview on Flo about his update. Walking around now without crutches and is coming to practice. Even put on his wrestling shoes the other day. Jaggers said basically if Sasso is fit to come back next year then Sammy will do so. Sammy is taking this year off school and next year wants to be in a two semester certificate program. This year he qualifies for a Olympic redshirt. If Sammy comes back to top form this is going to be a very very good team.

125 Davino
133 Bouzakis
141. Cannon- calling AA next year
149 mendes
157 sasso
165 hepner/ paddy/bird
174 kharchla/ Rocco /bird
184 Shumate/Rotogotzke
197 Geog
285 Feldman

10 strong weights that all can score points at nationals. 184 is probably my biggest concern. If needed may add a transfer portal. I just think mendes bumps up again as Tom said he may go up multiple weight classes and Cannon seems to make the best lineup on paper.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on October 27, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Jaggers talked in an interview on Flo about his update. Walking around now without crutches and is coming to practice. Even put on his wrestling shoes the other day. Jaggers said basically if Sasso is fit to come back next year then Sammy will do so. Sammy is taking this year off school and next year wants to be in a two semester certificate program. This year he qualifies for a Olympic redshirt. If Sammy comes back to top form this is going to be a very very good team.

125 Davino
133 Bouzakis
141. Cannon- calling AA next year
149 mendes
157 sasso
165 hepner/ paddy/bird
174 kharchla/ Rocco /bird
184 Shumate/Rotogotzke
197 Geog
285 Feldman

10 strong weights that all can score points at nationals. 184 is probably my biggest concern. If needed may add a transfer portal. I just think mendes bumps up again as Tom said he may go up multiple weight classes and Cannon seems to make the best lineup on paper."

I'd be on board with Mendes moving up to 149 in future seasons, especially if he wants to be a solid 65 kg freestyler in the next Olympic cycle.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 28, 2023

65 kg is 143.3 lbs., so it seems to me 141 lb. weight class would be ideal for Mendez. And Cannon is a lot taller than Jesse so I would think he could add more weight/muscle easier.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on October 28, 2023

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"65 kg is 143.3 lbs., so it seems to me 141 lb. weight class would be ideal for Mendez. And Cannon is a lot taller than Jesse so I would think he could add more weight/muscle easier."

You're right, 65 kg is closer to 141 than 149, but someone who makes 141 on a weekly basis is smaller than a post-grad who makes 143.3 a few times a year. Many of our 65 kg reps have been guys who were 149 in college. When Yianni moved up to 149 the guys on Flo commented that it would probably help him be a full sized 65 kg.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 29, 2023

How incredible of a story would it be if Sammy returned???? That’s a story that wrestling could use. There are a lot of obstacles to overcome between now and then. Not to mention that you’re talking about a guy competing in what will be his 8th year of college. I do not know what medically was done to him following the shooting but if even half of it is accurate I’d say wrestling, in general, is the least of his concern. All the best Sam.
Maybe it’s the pessimist in me but I don’t think Kharchla is back next year. Too many years, too many injuries. He also strikes me as a guy who is more likely to stick to freestyle if he should continue to compete. Besides, Rocco Welsch is primed to be the next great Buckeye! Would have liked to see him compete at wrestle offs.
Cannon seems more likely to be a 149 than Mendes, just based on size IMO

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2023

Jared: I agree with everything you said.

One more question: Are we overreacting to Cannon? Or is there something special about this kid?

Don Bork added to this discussion on October 29, 2023

Fans overreacting? That can’t be, ha ha. Cannon certainly looked bigger than Mendez from my view point, but looked impressive to me. The answer will become more clear as the season progresses. Last season true freshman were not permitted to enter open tournaments (if I recall correctly) but could wrestle 4 matches in duals. Has this changed? Will we see our freshman at the Clarion Open? I hope so.

Jeff Mowrer added to this discussion on October 29, 2023

RsFR were permitted to wrestle in opens last season. We should see a lot of the roster wrestle at Clarion.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 29, 2023

As I recall the rule, true freshman get to wrestle 4 (or 5) events without burning their redshirt.

However, true freshman cannot wrestle unattached during the first semester, so if they wrestle at Clarion, it counts as one event towards their five.

Any upperclassman with a redshirt available should be able to wrestle unattached at Clarion and keep the redshirt option open, i.e. Mendez.

Don Bork added to this discussion on October 29, 2023

After rechecking last year’s MSU Open results (now I remember), our true freshman did participate. So, I’m thinking, Coach Ryan will have this year’s freshman (Kilkeary, Cannon and Welsh) registered. Looking forward to seeing them compete.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Jared: I agree with everything you said.

One more question: Are we overreacting to Cannon? Or is there something special about this kid?"

Sure we are over reacting. But, I think the look test matters. He was a relatively high national recruit that came on late. He has some national level accolades from high school, and appears to demonstrate a willingness to pull the trigger in situations that others may lack. It’s a reach, but on shear speculation I think he’s got some tools for success.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Over reacting? I m not sure we are. Let’s break down his high school career. Freshman year. Beast of the east champ over a tough field that included one of the top recruits in his class in Marc Anthony McGowan. Then health issues occurred where he could barely walk and lost 20 pounds and nearly didn’t survive. He took off 22 months of wrestling during a crucial time in his development. Senior year wrestles Ironman in a very very deep bracket and had the 13 seed and tough draw. Tech falls Ohio division 2 state champ. Beats number 4 ranked mason convincingly. Beats Bouzakis convincingly. Beats number one Bailey and only loses a one point decesion to kannon Webster. Wrestled four straight top 7 nationally ranked kids. The same Webster who defeated mendes this past offseason. Of course you want to see him prove it at the college level in opens but his body of evidence is that he is a very elite wrestler and probably has more upside than any other recruit bc he didn’t wrestle half his high school career. Four time all American? Maybe not but I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if it happened. Him and Geog may be two straight diamonds in the rough for this program. I am excited to watch these twos future development.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Nick: Not sure which is more impressive....Cannon's accomplishments or your recitation of them. Well done.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on November 1, 2023

Ugh. Just ugh.
And ongoing prayers.

https://www.facebook.com/FloWrestling/videos/sammy-sasso-shares-some-of-the-details-of-the-injuries-he-received-from-a-gunsho/1044520969927890/

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 3, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Him and Geog may be two straight diamonds in the rough for this program. I am excited to watch these twos future development."

Not trying to get into a semantics argument, but Cannon and Geog are top 30ish recruits. I don't think they can be considered diamonds in the rough.

Good value for the ranking, more like, but both still have a long way to go to prove that.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next