Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Rob Koll on Flo
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2023

Fascinating to listen to him discuss his approach to building a program. His primary focus isn't all about technique and training. It's fundraising. He engages alumni and gets them excited about his team. He does lunches, dinners, etc. He is constantly active in building an endowment from the moment he arrives so that the program will be stronger. He also makes sure his wrestlers have mentors for their post graduate interests so that they'll be successful. I'm summarizing here and undoubtedly leaving out too much. But suffice it to say he left Stanford in much better shape than he found it and will be very successful with UNC.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Hank - quick story.

I have a friend who wrestled at Cornell. He was telling me about the hand written newsletter Koll would send out every week. I emailed him and asked to be included and he immediately added me. I still get the current version from Grey.

I also emailed Koll after an NCAA tournament. Forget the scenario but one of his wrestlers lost because of a horrific call. He emailed me back in like an hour.

My point - Koll takes fan engagement very seriously. He was engaging with me and I didn't attend Cornell, didn't have a son he was recruiting, and wasn't offering to donate.

Pretty cool.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Fascinating to listen to him discuss his approach to building a program. His primary focus isn't all about technique and training. It's fundraising. He engages alumni and gets them excited about his team. He does lunches, dinners, etc. He is constantly active in building an endowment from the moment he arrives so that the program will be stronger. He also makes sure his wrestlers have mentors for their post graduate interests so that they'll be successful. I'm summarizing here and undoubtedly leaving out too much. But suffice it to say he left Stanford in much better shape than he found it and will be very successful with UNC."

im very puzzled why he would leave Stanford, talk about being where he could fundraise !!!..i know i know, for his alma mater but so what when compared to a school ranked #3 best in the World ?? plus many other benefits, he has recruited well and the current class of signees are ranked high. (the rankings i saw: Harvard, MIT, Stanford
Cambridge, Oxford for what its worth)

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Pretty sweet!

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Hank - quick story.

I have a friend who wrestled at Cornell. He was telling me about the hand written newsletter Koll would send out every week. I emailed him and asked to be included and he immediately added me. I still get the current version from Grey.

I also emailed Koll after an NCAA tournament. Forget the scenario but one of his wrestlers lost because of a horrific call. He emailed me back in like an hour.

My point - Koll takes fan engagement very seriously. He was engaging with me and I didn't attend Cornell, didn't have a son he was recruiting, and wasn't offering to donate.

Pretty cool."

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Bob: In the Koll interview he says that he raised a lot of money at Stanford but that he didn't get anywhere near the cooperation from the administration that he has at UNC. He was recruiting well at Stanford and feels he left a good situation for Chris Pendleton...much better than the one he found when he arrived. But he said that Stanford is relatively small and doesn't have as much interest in athletics in general.

Evidently, UNC is all in on Koll and the wrestling program given how prodigiously he fundraises.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 30, 2023

Koll is savvy no doubt -- but u r aware Stanford has won more Sears Cups, whatever its called now, than other college, Given annually to the best all around sports program University, includes womens and Olympic sports.

John Joyce added to this discussion on October 31, 2023

My understanding is that Rob’s college roommate is a more than significant portion of his bank roll and it’s something they’ve both wanted (return to UNC) combined with the cost of living difference and all the other perceived benefits of UNC/Chapel Hill.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 1, 2023

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Koll is savvy no doubt -- but u r aware Stanford has won more Sears Cups, whatever its called now, than other college, Given annually to the best all around sports program University, includes womens and Olympic sports."

It's been less than 5 years since Stanford tried to scrap the entire program. They've had a lot of volatility in administration. The support for the wrestling program specifically just isn't there, despite the historical Olympic sport success across their athletics programs.

When you coach at Stanford you're basically operating on an island out there. Virtually every competition requires long travel, doubly so now that they're joining the ACC. Cost of living is nearly 2x, and Koll has no history in the area. I don't see how he could've passed up the UNC offer--you never know when or if the opportunity might open again, and Koll isn't on the front 9 of his career.

► Add to the Discussion