Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: 2023 Clarion Open
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Cannnon beats #32 ranked kid 10-6

Demilio has a close one with a high schooler and wins 8-4

Basset majors Gonzales.

Fenton only one left in championship bracket at 125 and beat the 6 seed

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Match of the tourney could be the quarterfinal between Jax Forrest and Marcus Blaze. That's like a Fargo/Super 32 Final.

Forrest reminds me of Cael.

Ryder Rogotzke loves big moves....loves...big....moves. He's fun to watch.

Sammy Sasso is coaching his butt off and all over the video screen. Good to see him on his feet and with the team.

Brandon Cannon took out the #2 seed at 141 from Gardner WEbb.

Ohio state is in real trouble at 125. It’s clearly the weakest weight. None of these guys are qualifying for nationals. I’m hoping Davino can make the weight.

Cannon wins and is into the semis. We may see a cannon mendes round 2.

I am not 100 percent confident Bouzakis beats Bassett. He is that good.

I wonder if the coaching staff went to the Clarion open in order to get a weekend with these high school recruits. If so good strategy. Blaze and Bassett are must gets. Blaze beats Forrest 9-4

Nick: You're probably right about 125. Also, I think you have to get Marcus Blaze if you're Ohio State. He justs so incredibly good. It will be fascinating to see him against a huge Ramos.

Brandon Cannon is not yet a great wrestler but he's special. He competes non-stop with passion and pressure. He is breaking his opponents.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Should Mendez and Cannon both make the finals I would be surprised if Ryan had them wrestle. They already wrestled in the wrestle off and are not competing for the spot at 141. No need to risk injury.
Looks like we will get Shumate v Rogotzke rematch in the consis.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Blaze beats Ramos in OT.

Unbelievable. This is Kolat-esque stuff. Probably bigger.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Did anyone watch the Bouzakis match? Just following on Flo I'm confused why he was riding so much in the 3rd down 3. RT was not a factor.

I watched the match. He was down 7-4. He rode him until he had exactly one minute of riding time. Once he secured it he kicked him. To make it 8-4. If he gets a takedown then then match would have been tied 8-8. He however got taken down so his riding time point was wiped out. Disappointing. I am a little worried about Bouzakis. He shouldn’t be getting taken down multiple times by a kid like this. Gonzales match was way too close also. He sometimes I think relies on his strength too much and that’s not going to work at like level. He may still All American but it is concerning. Bassett will probably expose this kid.

Rotogotzke is the future. He’s the most exciting wrestling Ohio state has had in a long time. I don’t think we have had a pinner like that since Logan. I can’t wait for him to completely develop. He is dangerous. He got three straight pins including one over Shumate.

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Rotogotzke is the future. He’s the most exciting wrestling Ohio state has had in a long time. I don’t think we have had a pinner like that since Logan. I can’t wait for him to completely develop. He is dangerous. He got three straight pins including one over Shumate."

I believe he is the all-time pin in Minnesota’s history. He could have easily won x3 (or 4) state title in MN but bumped ip to 195 to compete vs a guy going for x4. That is elite mindset.

Carson got hurt in his quarters. Hopefully it’s not serious. He finished the match but just stalled to finish the match. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out for a while for precaution. I don’t think he makes it another year. He just goes through too many injuries.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Carson got hurt in his quarters. Hopefully it’s not serious. He finished the match but just stalled to finish the match. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out for a while for precaution. I don’t think he makes it another year. He just goes through too many injuries."

Well his heir apparent, Welsh just won the Clarion open, so let's hope Carson gets back so they don't have to pull Welsh's RS this season.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Being the first week of the season I think it's fair to avoid hyperbole and dooms day thinking. No one was winning or losing a national title today. A couple take aways.

1.) You have to be pleased with the showing by the true freshman. I already said it once, and it bears repeating, I'm on board the Cannon train. I really like how that kid wrestles. You've all mentioned how Rogotzkge looked. I think both he and Shumate will go back and forth all year. Both like to throw bombs. Rocco Welsch is an animal. He showed why he was a blue chip recruit and is absolutely the future of OSU upper weights. He looked great positionally, and wrestled tough when he needed to.

2.) Mendez looked sharp, and has not lost a step moving up a weight so far. I'm anxious to see how he does going up against some top tier foes. D'Emilio equally looked very solid. Left off right where last year ended.

3.) Feldman looked solid after a year off. He will only get better as the year progresses. His speed will be a killer for 95% of heavy's. It will be interesting to see how his mat game progresses throughout the year.

4.) It would be easy to hit the panic button on Bousakis, the 125lbers, etc. I believe one of our founding .com'ers noted that guys are allowed to get better. You don't finish third in the world without talent and some real skills. Strap in for a roller coaster season on the Bousakis express.

5.) This could easily be #1. How about Marcus 'Friggin' Blaze. The scramble he had against Ramos in overtime was some of the highest level elite scrambling you will see. Ironicly he turned around and lost in the final, and looked like a high school kid against a collegiate athlete. What an incredible future he, Bo Bassett, and Jax Forrest have. I will also throw in that I thought Ethan Birden wrestled really well. He held his own from the neutral position, and had it not been for an akward slip in his last match I think he would have placed.

Easy to have an emotional (and physical) letdown after a win like Blaze had with basically no rest time in-between.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

I was impressed with Paddy Gallagher's performance, 3 MDs and 2 TFs. In all the 3 majors he had riding time, which I don't remember last year him riding that much.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next