Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: 2023 Clarion Open
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2023

Nic Bouzakis had a crappy tourney. But its way too early to make assumptions about him. Bouzakis is fresh off a world bronze and his pedigree is amazing. Call it a bad weekend for him and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also true--Ben Davino is the same weight class and arrives next season.

Also true--Go get Marcus Blaze and solve your 125 dilemma.

Other frosh: Brandon Cannon is why we love this sport. He is a scrappy everyman with a motor, slick technique and a huge heart.

Rocco Welsh wrestles like he's born to the task. Ideally he redshirts but if Kharchla can't go...the Bucks have a plug and play frosh ready to step in.

Rogotzke is a bowling ball full of switchblades. He has a lot of room to grown but what a blast it is to watch him.

Feldman is the most athletic 285 since Tommy Rowlands. He's a tad undersized but it won't matter once he gains strength and tightens up his strategies.

I loved how Mendez, D'Emilio and Gallagher got sharper each match. They always looked calm and focused as the tourney wore on. Tom Ryan needs to relax when Paddy's wrestling. He's making me uptight.

Bucks have a nice team with upside. Assuming Bouzakis gets straightened out the "weak spots" are 125, 165 and 184 and they have plenty of comp for those wts.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Rob, the number of college wrestlers who would handle Bassett is very small. Bouzakis I’m thinking isn’t one of them."

This was a bad call by me, I will admit.

Bouzakis is the only wrestler from tis past weekend where I am scratching my head a bit.

125 is ho hum. No one emerged out of the 3 wrestlers competing.

Agreed that many of these high school wrestlers, Blaze especially, looked great.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Of the wrestlers I watched.

Cannon is a gamer. Struck me as a guy that is wired to win. Did most of the little things right.

Paddy's foot work, hand fighting and attacks were super strong. Opponents never came close to anything offensive. The way he shut down Wirnsberger's attempts at scrambles was telltale that he was already anticipating and ready with contingent attacks.

Love the middle weight offensive scoring machines in Mendez, D'Emilio and Paddy.

I love Rocco Welsh's style. Just great position, highly efficient attacks and great decisions. There was one evolution in which his opponent locked a cradle. His fight and intelligence to avoid the takedown were big league. That was special.

I watched Rogotzke this morning. He's a gamer too. He was throwing the kitchen sink at guys. Cradle, banana splits, headlock, three quarter nelson. He is a unique talent. Shumate does some things extremely well, but then doesn't. He was taken down within two seconds of a whistle start. That's always a position and readiness thing.

Feldman is a beast. Has a motor and is strong as an ox. My only concern is that he is coming off injury and ready to prove himself. The freshman season is a tough one to navigate as is. He can All American today. Just need to get him to March healthy.

Regarding Bouzakis, I really like him. His hand fighting, offense and defense need work. As has been stated, he's explosive. He's had better showings at freestyle. That is not by coincidence. He has a style that rewards being able to expose your opponents back.

I know the feeling. There is a lot of overlap between the two styles. But, they are two different things.

That being said, great scrambling is hugely important. Just ask Brayden Palmer.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Great points by Hank and Rex.

Don't think I have too much to add. I was encouraged by the weekend and this is a really exciting team to root for. Welsh was a known quantity. Rogotzke and Cannon might end up just as good.

Also, loved seeing Sammy coaching in the corner. That guy has carried the torch for this program for years now... gives a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling seeing him shepherd in the next generation.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I was impressed with Paddy Gallagher's performance, 3 MDs and 2 TFs. In all the 3 majors he had riding time, which I don't remember last year him riding that much."

+1

Not a strong bracket, but he wrestled like he knew he was going to win, and then did. Last year you could feel the nerves every time he stepped on the mat. Probably a product of the time lost to injury during his redshirt year. Most of the country probably forgot about Paddy... I think they'll take notice this season.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

Something else that struck me about the Bousakis losses. He continues to fail to defend underhooks effectively, or make mid match corrections. His loss in the world semis was very consistent to the way he lost here. Very puzzling how this continues to be a glaring defensive hole.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Something else that struck me about the Bousakis losses. He continues to fail to defend underhooks effectively, or make mid match corrections. His loss in the world semis was very consistent to the way he lost here. Very puzzling how this continues to be a glaring defensive hole."

Good catch on noticing that. Had to go back and watch and see what happened.

Nick is heavy on that right foot and leads with that right hand. It's problematic.

Here's the catch 22. His offense is predicated on that right foot right lead hand attack. Looked like a champion in the first period against Rini when his offense was flowing.

Whenever your hand is out of position, it creates a pathway to the leg.

Dan St John would do this, but he was baiting you to shoot on his leg and he liked to counter leg attacks.

Bouzakis is not highly skilled at countering in his lead leg. He needs skill improvement.

It's a blind spot for him.

The thing about higher levels of competition is that exposes anything that might not be strong.

These things need direct work. Eliminating or reducing exposure to the position. Drilling until automaticity is achieved. Talk doesn't do it for most. Also, if a guy has been doing it whole life, it takes time to change.

When I wrestled Kerr in the NCAA semifinals, I had one weakness that was a big hole. I was not skilled at defending a leg attack to my left leg (back leg). It played a major role in that match. It provided him a takedown and later in the match when I had a lead, I was thinking about keeping that leg back. I was too far extended and actively thinking. Two no nos. He snapped and cradled.

Compare what Jesses does to Bouzakis. Jesse is stingy with position. He gives up few takedowns and is skilled at winning by narrow margins.

Bouzakis gave up two takedowns against Pitt in the first period. Unless you are wrestling Vito, that shouldn't happen unless their is a fundamental technical flaw. He gave up a total of three takedowns. I would qualify takedowns as due to : 1. right hand reach 2. weak shot + edge wrestling 3. short time + edge wrestling.

The thing is: the first takedown influences the rest of the match.

Stereotyping here, but those PA guys wrestle that edge like a champ. They'd be world champions in edge wrestling.

Going to watch Bassett matches. I understand Blaze. I don't get how Bassett is using conventional wrestling to bully grown men in the hand fighting and tie up game---yet.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

"Going to watch Bassett matches. I understand Blaze. I don't get how Bassett is using conventional wrestling to bully grown men in the hand fighting and tie up game---yet."

This is an absolute GLORIOUS quote. I am such a huge proponent of the basics. This mainly stems from getting first year kids in the room and having to coach them to a point of competence within the sport. What's the fastest way I can do that?? Basics.

"Advanced techniques are the basics mastered." - Samurai code

David Rourke added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

If Blaze had more experience and understanding of the danger TD criteria, he could've beat Palmer in the finals, as there were a couple opportunities based on Palmer's scramble positions. Most college guys still lack the awareness and understanding of the danger criteria and as result, many scoring opportunities become stalemates...

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"[Going to watch Bassett matches. I understand Blaze. I don't get how Bassett is using conventional wrestling to bully grown men in the hand fighting and tie up game---yet."

...and remember, he was controlled and pinned at Who's #1 at 138.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

"[Going to watch Bassett matches. I understand Blaze. I don't get how Bassett is using conventional wrestling to bully grown men in the hand fighting and tie up game---yet."

...and remember, he was controlled and pinned at Who's #1 at 138.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 8, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

...and remember, he was controlled and pinned at Who's #1 at 138."

Technically, Bassett did lose by fall and, to be fair, to pin someone, 98-99% of the time that takes control, but I think the bigger issue in that match (more than Zepeda's horsepower) was Bassett's willingness to go to his back. (Awful strategy, btw.) Twice, possibly three times, Bassett went to his back. The first time it cost him NF. The last time, the fall.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 8, 2023

Flo just posted on YouTube a compilation of all of Bassett's Clarion Open matches.
Impressive wrestler. Constant lower and upper body motion...it's like wrestling the energizer bunny.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 9, 2023

Nice call on the danger situation David.

Bassett competed at a high pace. He gave up two takedowns in the first period against Santaniello. His pace stayed the same the whole time, no indication of fatigue in all of his matches. It looked a lot like Terry Brands in terms of bullying and no let up.

But I've never seen a high school kid at 16 do this. So, it is an outlier performance as was his Super 32 against Kyler Larkin. Larkin wrestled Iowa recruit Petersen at Junior Nationals this past summer and wouldn't budge on position.

Anyway, the matches I watched with Birden and Wilson were scripted how I thought they would play out. Matches that were strategic and went to overtime. Some good wrestling but far from complete.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 9, 2023

"...

But I've never seen a high school kid at 16 do this. So, it is an outlier performance as was his Super 32 against Kyler Larkin. Larkin wrestled Iowa recruit Petersen at Junior Nationals this past summer and wouldn't budge on position.

Anyway, the matches I watched with Birden and Wilson were scripted how I thought they would play out. Matches that were strategic and went to overtime. Some good wrestling but far from complete."

Larkin - is that the son of Eric Larkin (ASU)? Nice set of genes if so.

I thought Birden may have been the victim of a HORRIBLE stall call. Could be Central District/OHST bias at play - willing to admit if so - but he lost 3-2 (I do believe) and the point was awarded with about 30 seconds left. Quite frustrating as a viewer/fan.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next