Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU v Virginia Tech 11/10
Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Following a marathon opening weekend the Bucks travel to Blacksburg Friday night to take on the Hokies. Really hard to say what line ups will look like but I’ll give it a go.

125: #4 Ventresca vs ?? Fenton (maybe)
133: #4 Latona vs #9 Bousakis
141: ??? Vs #5 Mendez
149: #4 Henson/ Crook vs. #9 D’Emilio
157: #6 Andonian/ Ulry vs #15 Gallagher
165: #18 Brady Vs #17 Hepner/ Wilcox
174: #3 Lewis Vs #7 Kharchla
184: #15 Fisher vs Hoffman/Shumate/Regotske
197: #15 Smith vs Geog
285: #21 Catka vs #27 Feldman

On paper, clearly the Bucks do not match up well. Virginia Tech is a top three team, that represents the class of the ACC. They return five AA’s if they all wrestle. My guess is this early both teams sit some dudes. I do think the Bucks could hang in the dual based off of some 50/50 matchups in the upper weights. Either way it will likely be up hill sledding. My one major hope is that Flo carries this event and not the garbage ACC network.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

OHST schedule shows that it is on the ACC Network. However, my ESPN+ app shows that it will be available through it (via ACCNx).

I think purchasing the ESPN+ subscription was up there with my Flo account. I get access to dozens of duals each year. Most are worth watching, but at a minimum it is great to have the option.

EXAMPLE:
Thursday, 11/09: OKLA v. CMU; 7p. Freaking SWEET!
Friday, 11/10: OHST v. VT; 7p.
Friday, 11/10: BUCK v. OKST; 8p.
Saturday, 11/11: The Citadel v. GMU; Noon.

Sunday: 11/12: KSU/CSU/Duke/WVU - But I'm thinking about attending this one. :-) #RoadTrip

Last edited by Mark Niemann on November 6, 2023; edited 2 times in total

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

My guess is we see McCrone at 125. None of the 125s podiumed at Clarion. Since McCrone won the wrestleoff and was trotted out at the preseason press conference, gotta think he’ll get first crack.

This weight doesn’t need to be resolved until January.

Kilkeary looks smaller than his opponents. Thinking the staff would like to keep him in redshirt.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Wrestlestate has VT 24-12 over Bucks

125 D VT
133 D Bucks
141 Pin Bucks
149 D VT
157 Md VT
165 D VT
174 D VT
184 D Bucks
197 D VT
285 TF VT

Latona lost to a n unranked kid this weekend.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

I think all three guys at 125 are going to get the nod at various times. If I had to pick one just to keep it close, it would be Kilkeary. His D is good...his offense needs work.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Sheesh, they've got a nice line-up.

But call me naive, I'll take the "under" on Catka tech-falling Feldman.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 6, 2023

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"Sheesh, they've got a nice line-up.

But call me naive, I'll take the "under" on Catka tech-falling Feldman."

TDs are now worth 3 points. Just saying. ;-)

I just hope we win a match.

Go Buckeyes!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

This dual could easily get turned upside down into a barn burner. The one thing about the Bucks is that they are young and talented. I’m not shocked if Bousakis turns around and beats Latona. Nor am I surprised with a D’Emilio win in OT. 184, 197, and 285 are all up for grabs. Less we forget that Kharchla (if healthy) owns a freestyle win over Lewis.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

Jared I don’t think 285 is up for grabs. Feldman wrestled him a couple months before his injury and won 2 straight matches pretty convincingly.

Latona is a wild card. Sometimes he takes bad losses and then again he also beats all Americans frequently. I wouldn’t bet on Bouzakis at this point.

Geog is probably my most anticipated match. I have a feeling he made strides this off-season and this will be a good measuring stick.

Will kharchla, hepner, and Hoffman compete?

125 you wrestle Kilkeary imo. He stays in matches bc he just has good defense. Least likely to give up bonus. He could keep it close then go for a last second Hail Mary like he almost did against Ramos.

157 is another match up I’m excited for. Paddy looks to maybe finally had a healthy offseason and I expect an all American run out of him. Andonian is a good indicator of where he is currently at.

If Carson can’t go it will be a good measuring stick with Rocco. Wouldn’t mind seeing him go against one of the best.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 7, 2023

It's Tuesday and I'm freaking AMPED UP for this event. I was half-tempted to leave straight from work (2:20p) on Friday and travel the 5h 03m to watch it live but decided against it a) since it is televised and b) I'm heading to Morgantown* on 11/12.

*WVU v. CSU, Duke, and KSU.

Woot. Woot.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 8, 2023

Very difficult to predict lineups for either side at this stage. Both teams dealing with some injuries. Less than half of Virginia Tech's starters wrestled last weekend--not sure what to do with that info.

If VT is at full strength, Bucks clearly need a couple of upsets or some surprise bonus to win it--in which case, Rogotzke may be your best option at 184 (regardless of Hoffman's status).

Side note, but how much time have Andonian and Gallagher spent on the mat together? Not sure it matters, but it seems to me the more looks you get at Andonian the better.

John Herren added to this discussion on November 8, 2023

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Side note, but how much time have Andonian and Gallagher spent on the mat together? Not sure it matters, but it seems to me the more looks you get at Andonian the better."

It could be very interesting for sure. They are best friends as well.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 9, 2023

Per Bucks Website.

125 - Brendan McCrone (R-So.) vs. No. 4 Eddie Ventresca
133 - No. 14 Nic Bouzakis vs. No.7 Sam Latona (Jr.)
141 - No. 5 Jesse Mendez vs. Hunter Mason (Fr.)
149 - No. 5 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr.) vs. Caleb Henson (So.)
157 - No. 16 Paddy Gallagher vs .No. 6 Bryce Andonian
165 - Issac Wilcox or Bryce Hepner vs. No. 16 Connor Brady
174 - No. 7 Carson Kharchla or Rocco Welsh vs. No. 3 Mekhi Lewis
184 - Seth Shumate or Ryder Rogotzke vs.No. 21 Sam Fisher
197 - No. 19 Luke Geog vs. No. 14 Andy Smith or
Sonny Sasso
285 - No. 20 Nick Feldman vs. No. 16 Hunder Catka (So.) or
Jimmy Mullen (F

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 9, 2023

I just love this dual for the Bucks.

They are underdogs in all but a couple matches but it’s not crazy to think they could win any bout.

Good November barometer.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on November 9, 2023

184 I hope it’s Rotogotzke. They are 1-1 now against each other but only one of them can pin anyone any given match and that should be the tiebreaker.

197 I am very excited about. If Geog wins this it is a huge confidence builder towards an all American run

157 Paddy looks to be a lot better wrestler than he has since being at Ohio state. He finally looks like the recruit we got out of high school. This will be a true test to see where he is at against one of the best

174 I have a feeling it will be Rocco. The staff probably doesn’t want to risk Carson this early in the season. Rocco is probably already a top 20 wrestler and again we will see where he stands against an elite guy.

149. Henson gave sasso an early season loss when Sasso ran out of gas. We will see how demilio is handling the new weight class with another good test.

133. Bouzakis can erase the doubts after the poor performance last week with a win. Big match and confidence builder for him

285. Feldman has beaten both their heavyweights rather easily in past so I predict the same.

141. Mendes is probably the biggest favorite of the night. Should get bonus here.

125. Mccrone just needs to keep it close. Really wish Malik would have used his redshirt last year and let 125 clear out. He has beaten at least half the top ten guys this season. We are going to miss him this year.

165. Hepner lost to Brady 3-2 a couple years ago but seemed to improve last year but has little data to go on.

This dual is going to be very tight. Ohio state can get bonus at heavy and 141. And if Rotogotzke wrestles he can always throw some haymaker for 6. Ohio state may need these bonus points to win. Excited for tomorrow

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next