Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: OSU v Edinboro
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on November 12, 2023

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

" But I still want to watch a dual at their place someday just to see the plaid mat. Hopefully they still have it."

I saw it a few years ago when they wrestled Lehigh (miserable blizzard getting there). I didn't really care for it but it certainly was different.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 13, 2023

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"When Flynn was coach at Edinboro this was a competitive dual meet. I wonder if the new coaches are hampered in any way by reduced scholarship money. I know that there were financial issues with Edinboro University as a whole the last few years."

Right, this exactly. Beyond the scholarship issue, there's significant financial stress for most of the PA System universities, including Edinboro. HEERF funds have kept them afloat the past two years coming out of COVID but FY23 is likely to be ugly for a number of them.

Edinboro I believe is already in the process of being academically integrated with Clarion and California. Remains to be seen how that works but it's an effort by the System to try something different before potentially closing anyone down.

I think in general from an Edinboro wrestling perspective you'd be hard pressed to find a compelling selling point for recruits. Mediocre to poor academics. Campus is old and in need of maintenance/investment. Wrestling facilities are worse than what you'd find at many high schools. Team has been terrible the past few years. Coach is young and doesn't have a track record of success. School is in financial turmoil. Etc.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 13, 2023

Brian: that’s …grim. Oof.

David Rourke added to this discussion on November 14, 2023

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I ended up getting JLJ’s set. #MuchLove my man.

Crowd was okay in numbers but into with each TD & PIN!!!!!!

"

IMO...the attendance was disappointing considering that the high school season has not officially started so there is no conflicts...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 15, 2023

Interesting comment David. Paid attendance was a bit over 3k. Historically speaking that's a good crowd.

Curious as what people feel the Bucks should draw? Should every dual be sold out?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 15, 2023

Sunday @ noon is different than Sunday @ 2p. Not saying that would fix things, but it would certainly be nice to see any difference.

Additionally, Edinboro did not add any intrigue. Cornell is coming in early Jan.. They are currently a top-5 team. My guess is that that dual would draw more for a Sunday noon dual that Edinboro. Sunday @ 2p would be nice to compare too. (This dual is Friday night before Saturday events; a handful in Central OH. We’ll see how things pan out.)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2