Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational 12/2-12/3
Brian Mathews added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Great summary Jared.

Re: Hoffman, this is just who he is. He's slow. He's robotic. He has no dependable leg attacks. He's at 184 because he can't beat a RS FR who just went 1-2 at this same tourney. I'm glad he eked out the one AA finish because I don't think he belongs in the lineup this year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

I'm going to take up for Hoffman. When healthy at 197--which was basically one season--he was consistently able to get to his leg attack and usually finish. I don't like him at 184. Everyone says the drop was his idea but it's hard to imagine he wasn't influenced by the staff. Agree that the majority of his career has been "pedestrian" but this isn't helping.

When I watch Geog, my mind wanders to a young Malik Heinselman. Heinselman was always a good offensive attack wrestler but he needed to learn to slow down his pace and become more strategic. He became a very good wrestler--albeit undersized--once he made these adjustments.

I also find myself remembering Kaleb Romero when I watch some of these guys. Romero looked like a bust for two seasons. Then he got healthy, moved to a more suitable weight, wrestled smarter, and became a pleasure to watch. He also finished as a 3x AA which is a rare accomplishment.

Every team at this tournament must be scratching their heads right now. I'd argue that a number of once "lowly" programs (think Campbell) have more talented wrestlers than ever before. There are good coaches everywhere and everyone has access to the best techniques. If you're a stud and feeling sluggish, you're more likely to be in trouble than in the past.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Day Two (starts @ 1p EST)

CKLV 2023
Team Scores (into the SFs)

1. ISU - 88.5
2. OHST - 86
3. NEB - 82.5
4. CORN - 73
5. NCST - 72
6. ORST - 69
7. MICH - 67.5
8. STAN - 65
9. SDSU - 57.5
10. OKST - 50
11. VT - 48.5
12. UNI - 47.5
13. NAVY - 42
14. CAMP - 41
15. OHIO - 38

A few things that jump out at me...(again, I am unsure of who brought all of their starters, but)

I thought going in ISU was the favorite, and here we are.
I think Nebraska is a solid B1G team; comparable to OHST (as indicated by these scores)
MICH seems to be having a down event, but they may not have everyone. Same about NCST & VT.
I think STAN is having a remarkable tournament thus far. We'll see today if it is magic or who they really are.
In the last set of team rankings, NAVY was 17th. I feel that Navy*, Campbell, and Ohio* - add in WVU or Maryland - would be a 2x4 or quad I'd attend. Seem evenly match across the ten weight classes.

*Ohio v. Navy is happening on 12/10 at Coach Kolat's high school (Jefferson Morgan HS). Restraining order notwithstanding, I'll be there.

Good call on Stanford. When Rob Koll was interviewed on Flo, he mentioned that Chris Ayres did not inherit a bare cupboard. And he's a proven coach when it comes to developing young studs.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Anyone know how it was decided that Hoffman would get the nod for CKLV? Was there a wrestleoff?

The cut to 184 can’t be easy but I didn’t notice a lack of energy from him. To the contrary, he was fresh enough to pull one out in OT. It could be a while before the staff settles on a starter.

Glad Paddy made it through to today. That’s a confidence builder. A rematch with Andonian awaits and I’ll be interested to see if he can avoid scramble situations and avenge the loss to his St. Ed’s teammate.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Mendez!!!!

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

anyone gonna issue a mea culpa about Bouzakis? lol

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"anyone gonna issue a mea culpa about Bouzakis? lol"

LOL yes I will.

All bonus point wins on backside

Not shocked to see him remember who he is. In the same breath, this wasn't the cons bracket at the Big Tens. Let's see how he finishes against a much tougher opponent than he's seen since his opening round match. Zaccone is currently ranked #9 in the country.

DD and Paddy put everything out on the match each time they compete. It's a pleasure to watch them. DD beat the #9 and #5 ranked guys in the country. His only loss was to top ranked Lovett. He'll take on 3rd ranked Parco for 3rd place.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

1/2 Mendez
3/4 bouzakis
3/4 DD
3/4 karchla
6th Feldman
7/8 paddy
Is this where we are? I watched Carson’s semi match. Disappointed that he got taken down 3 times, that match was winnable. Any idea why Feldman mf’ed. Bouzakis reminds me of J.D. Bergman early in his career, drop an early match and run through the consos. I assume weight is an issue (as was the case with Bergman and Romero). I like geog, but I don’t see what the coaches do. I was expecting a kollin Moore type of situation, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Hoffman or shumate, don’t thing it matters, the best kid at the weight is going to redshirt. Just my 2 cents.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Not shocked to see him remember who he is. In the same breath, this wasn't the cons bracket at the Big Tens. Let's see how he finishes against a much tougher opponent than he's seen since his opening round match. Zaccone is currently ranked #9 in the country."

And Zaccone is a RS Senior and two time NCAA qualifier. Looking forward to the match.

"Is this where we are?"

Yes. And no disrespect intended but I don't think there's any comparison between J.D. Bergman and Nic Bouzakis. J.D.'s back side run was at NCAA's as a true frosh. Bouzakis hammered some stiffs. Nor do I think he's making a huge wt cut. Maybe I'm wrong but he looks like a proper sized 133.

Feldman tweaked something in his match with that beast from Campbell. He finished the match but obviously didn't feel right. Feldman is tough but when he can't finish his shots, the match is over. He reminds me of Snyder as a frosh (in terms of offense) except Snyder usually finished. He needs to work on techniques that allow him to control the leg better once he's in deep. It's going to take time for him to get used to the power of bigger, powerful opponents. His leg attacks are outstanding. When he can finish on anyone, he'll be a title contender.

I share your frustration over Kharchla. He's very good and the 3 point TD should be of huge benefit to him. But he needed to win this tourney. He seems looser this season. But he has to win that semis match. Except he didn't. Oh well. A lot of season still to go.

I think Geog is a pretty good wrestler. Nice offense but not enough mat skill or power--yet. I do think he's going to improve a lot over the course of his career.

We're spoiled by the likes of Nate Tomasello, Kyle Snyder, Myles Martin, Bo Jordan, etc....These guys were title contenders from the moment they took the mat. That's not the norm.

Enjoy Jesse Mendez. Keep in mind we lost Sasso. And give this team time.

And now we can say Bouzakis had a nice tourney. He wrestled smart and stayed cool under pressure. Congrats to him on a quality win for 3rd

Mendez is a beast.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next