Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Discussion Topic: Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational 12/2-12/3
Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Great job Bouzakis, tons of hard work, well done!

Mendez with a great tourney!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Schein added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Hank I agree with you, we were spoiled with nato, Martin, etc…. Like you said lots of season to go

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on December 2, 2023

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"anyone gonna issue a mea culpa about Bouzakis? lol"

Haha. Looks like he heard us talkin' !@#$!

For real though his run on the back side is maybe the most encouraging thing from this tourney, outside of Mendez cementing himself as "that dude."

The reason people here were more critical of him than they are of others is because he has so much talent that it's just obvious he shouldn't be losing some of these matches.

That's also a reason for patience, but patience is a job for coaches... fans have the liberty to be reckless jack!@#es.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on December 3, 2023

A brief summary of placement versus seeding for the Buckeyes:
Weight Seed Finish
125 12 DNP
133 6 3
141 3 1
149 4 4
157 10 7
165 12 DNP
174 2 3
184 6 DNP
197 8 DNP
285 7 6

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 3, 2023

A couple things stand out to me:

The amount of counter wrestling is way more than it ever was.

A lot of very good coaching/wrestling at smaller schools. i.e Campbell, Stanford, SDSU

All those wrestler bleed passionately what they do; all are heroes in a way.

The guys that win have excellent technique, attitude and confidence.

A couple special moments for me. When:

Jesse Mendez bounced Kevin Jack's head off the mat to score the go behind two. The thing about counter wrestling is that if you give the guy an inch, he will take a proverbial yard. Translated, He will avoid the takedown, create a stalemate or score on you. Jesse did everything right there. It was just one moment in a match, but was a beautiful display of skill and attitude that I went back and watched a couple times. If actions spoke words, He emphatically said, “No, you don’t get away with that garbage on me. Here’s a helping of wrestling mat. Let me make the introduction, Mr Head meet Mr. Mat."

Second period Paddy Gallagher’s 7th place match against a game Chumbley. I literally saw a switch flip in the way he attacked. Up until that point in the match, the outcome was in question. He hit another gear and got the needed takedown and rode like a champion. Finished super strong. Outstanding effort and attitude.

Bouzakis had a great tournament. I like when he wins close matches. He wants to dominate but must first learn to win by slimmer margins against excellent wrestlers. There is a learning curve there that needs attention. Winning 20-5 does not prepare you for the Round of 12. A tighter match like the one against Zaccone does.

D’Emilio and Kharchla are doing solid. Wrestling well and winning against quality wrestlers.

I would have enjoyed seeing Rogotzke compete as he is so much fun to watch. Plus, I want to see if he can beat Pinto.

Geog is a couple wrinkles away from being very good, but his attack is too linear and can be felt by game opponents. Needs that element of surprise which would open up a lot of offense. The foundation is solid and obviously passionate.

Those heavyweights are some big strong hosses. Biggest thing for Feldman is to keep him healthy through the season.

Last edited by Rex Holman on December 3, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 3, 2023

The kid that Nic lost to went all the way to the semis and lost to Frost 2-1. Then Zaccone beat him by 10, and Nic beat Zaccone for third. So yeah Nic lost his first match but Knox is a good wrestler and Nic out placed him in the long run. Lots to build off for Nic from this tourney!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 3, 2023

Rex: Love you observations on Mendez. He won convincingly but in both the semis and the finals he fended off very good attacks early. His defense and his mat wrestling appear to be twice as good as a year ago. If Vegas were giving odds on who was most likely to win the NCAA title at 141, my guess is he'd have the best odds...ahead of Woods.

As I watch Feldman, I keep thinking about how he's built a lot like Snyder. But Snyder went High C whereas Feldman shoots low. High C is a higher percentage finish position in my opinion. Feldman's problem is finishing shots against quality opponents. He's young and will adjust. But I'd break out the Snyder videotape if I were the staff and start working with him to improve his High C.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 3, 2023

The next dual against Pitt will be interesting for Nic as he is set to face Santaniello who beat him 11-4 back in the Clarion Open.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on December 3, 2023

I'll be there and I hope that match starts at 141-157, give Nic time to recover if the cut is a challenge.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on December 4, 2023

My 2 cents after the dust has settled from Vegas:

McCrone does impress me more each time he steps on the mat. I liked how he beat the Columbia kid who majored him just a few weeks ago. Lost to 2 good wrestlers, but gave away that match against Jordan.

Bouzakis, crummy first round loss but that Stanford kid had a great tourney. Was really happy to see him bounce back for third, including a few bonus wins.

Mendez looks like a title contender. I'll leave it at that.

DD- Good tournament I guess? held seed but was really worked byboth Lovett and Parco. Yes 2 wrestlers ranked ahead of him but would have liked to see more competitive matches.

Gallagher- Bad loss to Downey from UNI but placed higher than his seed, including a win over Chumbley who beat him last year.

Wilcox- Meh, maybe give Hepner another chance

Hoffman- Really hard to stay entertained during his matches. I'll just leave it there

Geog- Just needs more experience, probably the most upsetting wrestler on the team this weekend but I still have a lot of confidence in him

Feldman- Will adjust, will be fine.

Overall I am happy with the team and 3rd place performance. Go Bucks!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6