Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Pitt - 12/10/23
Sam Delio added to this discussion on December 11, 2023

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Sam Delio's post:

"Hi Roe,

Are your tickets to the Pitt match still available?"

Sam: I apologize. I didn’t see this until after the match started."

No worries Roe

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on December 11, 2023

A disappointing match, but it's a long season.

Positives:

- Bouzakis has made great strides in a short period of time. A few weeks ago people were wondering whether Gonzales might deserve a shot to man 133, and they weren't crazy to think that. Outside of the big 3 at 133 (Vito, Fix, Crookham), I like Bouzakis' chances.

- Mendez gets his loss out of the way in a lower stakes match. Sucks to lose, but Matthews is a quality wrestler, and big for the weight. Something Jesse will need to think about as Bartlett and Woods will be using the exact same playbook. None of the three want to get in a shootout with Mendez--he needs to find ways to create action and avoid falling back into the one score trap he was in last year. I know he's focused on this, not worried about it.

Negatives:

- McCrone has come back down to earth some. He's probably a qualifier, but certainly not guaranteed.

- Where's Hepner? Wilcox is a strong backup... but in the Big 10 that's what he is. A backup.

- Hoffman looks worse each time he goes out there. With Geog appearing to regress the decision makes less sense by the day, not that I think Hoffman at 197 solves any problems either.

- Geog needs a reset. Perhaps the Christmas break will give him that, but the schedule is about to be very difficult. He has Hidlay in the tri and then Cardenas right after new year. Those are going to be very one sided matches based on current form. I wonder if he might benefit from going to an open tournament and putting some wins on the board.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 18, 2023

That Mendez L looks really bad now that Matthew’s got MD by former Buckeye and now ISU starter. Then a NR kid from Little Rock beat him 10-6.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on December 19, 2023

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"That Mendez L looks really bad now that Matthew’s got MD by former Buckeye and now ISU starter. Then a NR kid from Little Rock beat him 10-6."

Here's Matthews' career highlights:
NCAA Qualifier (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023)
NCAA All-American (2022, Fifth Place)
ACC Champion (2022, 2023)
USA U23 Freestyle World Team Trials Champion (2022)

The kid's a stud, and will be a tough out come tourney time.

So while the loss was disappointing, sure, especially considering the 2-0 lead with twenty seconds to go, I don't know that I'd consider it a "bad" loss.

In any event, here's hoping we get him next time.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on December 19, 2023

I caved yesterday and paid $25 to watch the Collegiate Duals on Rofkin and I’m glad I did since the wrestling was excellent. The announcers were also very good and the video stream was high quality and uninterrupted. Ryan Holmes commented that Mathews’s footwork seemed extremely sluggish and his opponents were almost always successful with low level shots.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4