Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio U v. Navy (12/10)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 11, 2023

While most on here were watching the PITT/OHST dual meet, I traveled out to Jefferson-Morgan HS* to watch Ohio take on Navy.

Pretty entertaining dual meet that saw Ohio surge out to an early lead, only to be overtaken by the back half of matches.

Navy 27, Ohio 12 (Match started at 149)
125 | Evan Tallmadge (Navy) fall Ryan Meek (Ohio), 4:10
133 | No. 22 Brendan Ferretti (Navy) tech fall Paul Woo (Ohio), 18-2 (6:34)
141 | No. 18 Josh Koderhandt (Navy) fall Aidan Waszak (Ohio), 4:39
149 | Dominic Hoffarth (Ohio) dec Nicholas Vafiadis (Navy), 8-5 **********
157 | No. 20 Peyten Kellar (Ohio) dec Jonathan Ley (Navy), 4-1
165 | No. 27 Andrew Cerniglia (Navy) dec No. 11 Garrett Thompson (Ohio), 7-5
174 | No. 21 Sal Perrine (Ohio) dec No. 20 Danny Wask (Navy), 4-3
184 | No. 28 Zayne Lehman (Ohio) dec No. 19 David Key (Navy), 8-5
197 | Jacob Lucas (Navy) dec Austin Starr (Ohio), 4-3
285 | No. 13 Grady Griess (Navy) major Jordan Greer (Ohio), 11-2

*JMHS is where Kolat went to high school. The school had a small tribute to Kolat and his accomplishments just before entering the gym.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 12, 2023

Thanks for sharing, Mark. Looks like a solid mid-major dual with 20 ranked wrestlers and 3 matches where both were ranked.

As I shared in the OU preview, they are solid from 49 - 285 but will really struggle in the lower weights. Almost impossible to win a dual giving up 17 points at the first 3 weights.

Interesting to see Hoffarth wrestle, I think that's his first action this year. Encouraging result.

Kellar, Thompson, Perrine, Lehman are a great middle of the lineup. Add Raike and Starr (who I think has potential) and it's a fun line up.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 12, 2023

Thompson losing is a bit discouraging when you look at his performance in Vegas. But, then again, it's a dual and Navy is very well coached.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

I've spent a bit of time researching the OU lineup. It's pretty good. They showed flashes this season but also had some bad moments. On paper however they return a nice squad assuming Kellar doesn't step into the portal.

149: Derek Raike, redshirt frosh--he's a hammer and won 17 matches. But he needs some fine tuning. I watched him beat the heck out of a kid from Buffalo only to get pinned while trying to pin him. He made the same mistake twice in that match. If he can wrestle smarter, he should be an NCAA qualifier.

157: Peyten Kellar, redshirt soph--5th in the country including pins of Andonian and Ed Scott. Went undefeated in the MAC. His only losses at NCAA's were 4-3 to Franek and to Cardenas of Stanford. Needs to learn to be more dominant. Brutal on top.

165: Garrett Thompson, redshirt soph--NCAA qualifier, beat Caleb Fish 1st round at NCAA's. 27-8 record this season. Again, needs to learn how to dominate.

174: Sal Perrine, junior--won 20 matches and placed 5th at the Cliff Keen. 7-1 in MAC duals but failed to qualify for NCAA's. Was nationally ranked for a substantial part of the season.

184: Zayne Lehman, junior--went 16-7 but had some injuries and a lousy MAC tourney.

197: Austin Starr, redshirt frosh--16-11 record.

285: Jordan Greer, redshirt jr--14 wins, NCAA qualifier--a nice sized, mobile 285, he needs to improve his tactics.

OU is decidedly weaker at the first 3 wt classes and really needs help. Mason Brugh from Wadsworth was ok at 133. Transfer portal or recruits...something.

OU could be a top tier MAC team next season if they can hold it together and continue to improve. Assistants Cody Walters and Shakur Laney seem to be doing solid work. Joel Greenlee is as good a guy as there is in the sport. I'd like to see him put together a few excellent seasons with this bunch. Also, this team needs to peak at the right time. They wrestle too many unnecessary matches and have too many injuries as a result. They need to focus more on peaking for the MAC's and qualify 5-6 guys for NCAA's.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Hank, I am curious what you mean by wrestling too many unnecessary matches?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Hank, I am curious what you mean by wrestling too many unnecessary matches?"

Let me rephrase--too much wear and tear. The trend in D1 is towards competing less often.

► Add to the Discussion