Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Congrats Kollin Moore
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 18, 2023

Sr Nationals Champ by TF over Nate Jackson. Quality performance by a guy who's had some injuries of late as well as some tough luck.

Interesting to see Quincy Monday cruise to a tite over Alex Marinelli. Monday appears to be a guy who's rapidly improving.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on December 19, 2023

Kollin is so consistent. Every time he steps onto the mat you know to expect a quality performance.

Congrats to him. Easy guy to root for.

Wonder what lies ahead for him once his competitive days are over. Will he coach?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 19, 2023

In his post match interview, he admitted to having a very cranky back. I'm assuming that it's been affecting him for a while.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 22, 2023

I went back and watched the matches against Aiello and Jackson.

He looked very good against Aiello.

I love technology.

I understand his offense so much better.

Everything Kollin does to score on his feet is misdirection.

Against Jackson, he was losing through the first four minutes.

Jackson could not sustain the pace and Kollin was able to secure a takedown and lit up a gut wrench bonanza.

Some things he might consider furthering his evolution are:

Have a healthy lower back.

Conventional lifting of squatting, deadlifting and reverse hypers are only going to exacerbate the problem.

1.) Become excellent at defense- can't give up takedowns.

2.) Develop an offense from a front head or body lock- need to score points when guy shoots

3.) Develop a counter shot. Guys are most vulnerable when they shoot.

That being said he won National Open which is a great accomplishment.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 22, 2023

Rex: Watching his finals match with Jackson, Kollin looked sluggish (likely due to a back issue) and Jackson seemed in control. Then, suddenly, Jackson gave up a TD with relative ease. Then he got gut wrenched like it was his job to give up points. I could tell Moore wasn't 100%. But I couldn't figure out what was going on with Jackson.

What are your thoughts?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 23, 2023

I assume it's a level of conditioning as he was pushing a high pace and controlling the tie ups and then slowed down and to my recall, gave up a spin behind and then did a poor job of defending the gut wrench.

He should have already been transitioning to a gut wrench defense if he felt takedown was imminent. he was slow to transition and as we see in a lot of matches, guys concede the position after giving up that first one.

I'm with you, allowing for multiple turns in a row is dumb and gives the turner an unfair advantage.

Jackson is not a big at 97 kg. A lighter guy trying to over horsepower a big guy uses a lot of energy. Also, he was doing everything right which can overwhelm your processor if too much of a sprinter pace.

The more fatigue you endure, the more likely to make mistakes or have a significant break down of position.

At the 2000 Olympic Trials in Texas; I was in shape but was overcome with fatigue in my first match against Sharratt. It was two three-minute periods and at the end of the first, I hit a wall. I was leading 4-2 and if the last score had been 2-0 me, rather than 2-2, would've had a 4-0 lead. I ended up losing 5-4. That level of fatigue when it comes up on you, just sucks. I attributed it to my pace, the weight cut (weighed 235 the day before weigh ins) and the humidity.

Anyway, it looked like some fatigue level event happened to Jackson.

► Add to the Discussion