Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: A J Ferrari disqualified at Soldiers Salute final
Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

After the match concluded, Ferrari and Iowa's Glazier exchanged shoves, then Ferrari appeared to swing at Glazier which resulted in Glazier pointing at Ferrari and Ferrari holding up his middle finger. Ferrari was then disqualified for flagrant misconduct. Wow, what a piece of work this guy is going to be.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

He's a great wrestler but a low class individual. I hope he implodes the entire Hawkeye program which would serve them right for taking him in.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

https://youtu.be/iMyipvEcJMI?si=Z8hX-huGU-U8M5x6

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

Glazier has really good head hands defense and reaction slowed in overtime.

The 2nd stall in overtime came right after a Ferrari shot; which is on par with Iowa referees. Might have been different if A.J. had on the black and gold. It was at that point, the wheels of frustration really started to wobble.

Reminded me of the Randleman v Stiltner match in Iowa City dual for a lot of reasons.

The Ferraris are worse behaved than the Brands. That's saying a lot.

Most of the wrestling world is talking about it.

Saw the Iron Claw movie yesterday. Succeeding in pro wrestling is about popularity and causing buzz. Amateur wrestling is heading in that direction. All about the clicks.

Iowa fans are a mob and can be won over if they wrestle in an Iowa singlet. All will be forgiven if they win.

Ferraris vs the World ;)

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

Rex that second stall was in regulation which took it to overtime. I am on the same page as you, that was not a stall at all. Looks like it visibly frustrated him. These kids seem to not be able to control their emotions. What does Iowa do now? These kids on the team don’t seem to be Ferrari fans and can really hurt team chemistry. The younger Ferrari had some pushing also at the end of the match also. Iowa already lost Chittum because of these kids. Would you want to send your kids to coaches that tolerated this behavior and had it in the room? This is a very dangerous line that the Brands are walking.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

Nick-
I do think it is different than taking on DeSanto.

You have potentially three Ferraris all wanting the starting spot. All of them have large personalities and are boundary challenged. No one on the existing roster is rolling over for them.

That being said, Brands encourage pushing, bullying and intimidation but no punching because that is misconduct.

Brands like to play both sides of the aisle with their wrestlers.

Steering that ship was their karmic destiny.

Last edited by Rex Holman on January 1, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Rex that second stall was in regulation which took it to overtime. I am on the same page as you, that was not a stall at all. "

Watching it, I disagree. He played the edge a lot and it bit him. Actually I felt the first call was more questionable. However, IMO, he could have been hit for stalling after that second call when he was playing to the crowd and whining to his coaches. Then he did it again as they went from regulation to OT.
The moves at the end (the punch and the bird) are pure punk.
He is a showman and perfectly suited for the WWF or whatever it is called these days.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

What an embarrassment to the sport, and to think that over 46,000 people have already watched it... This video popped up on YouTube for me before I even came to this thread or looked at last night's result, and I watched it out of morbid curiosity.

Antics aside, he definitely isn't in peak form yet. Compared to his 2020-2021 season he looked sluggish and lacked offense in regulation, and his stance was too upright at times. His takedown in OT was good, so it baffles me why he didn't fire off an attack like that in regulation - or why he had the energy to do a full splits in front of the crowd after the match.

Unless he was just sandbagging in regulation, this version of A.J. doesn't sniff an offensive point against Aaron Brooks (IF A.J. ends up wrestling for the Hawkeyes this season).

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

https://x.com/_wrestlersgrind/status/1741272710959792485?s=46

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2024

So.....

A.J. Ferrari is still looking for a program. We know the down side. But he's a great wrestler. If you were Ohio State, would you look into it?

--Great workout partner for Kollin Moore
--Strengthens the Bucks at a weaker wt.
--Might end up bringing in his youngest brother who could really help the Bucks at 165.

--A narcissitic jerk
--may or may not have sexually assaulted at least one woman
--a poor fit for your culture

I know how most of you probably feel. But its still worth discussing.

Mark Wilt added to this discussion on January 8, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So.....

A.J. Ferrari is still looking for a program. We know the down side. But he's a great wrestler. If you were Ohio State, would you look into it?

--Great workout partner for Kollin Moore
--Strengthens the Bucks at a weaker wt.
--Might end up bringing in his youngest brother who could really help the Bucks at 165.

--A narcissitic jerk
--may or may not have sexually assaulted at least one woman
--a poor fit for your culture

I know how most of you probably feel. But its still worth discussing."

Under no circumstances do I think they should pursue Ferrari. I for one want to be proud of the program and the young men it produces first, even before production and results. Winning is secondary. Luckily at Ohio State, you shouldn’t have to choose. You can have both. My two cents, I think Ferrari is a culture killer.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 8, 2024

"So.....
I know how most of you probably feel. But its still worth discussing."

Hank,
Over the years I have had conversations with a number of coaches who had an outstanding wrestler in their room. However, when asked, almost to a man they would say that they would not miss the drama that this particular athlete brought to the team.
Some might say a cancer.
You were a coach. Would you choose a prized athlete over team harmony? How are you going to deal with him when he goes off the reservation? Are you going to treat the other wrestlers differently? Kids are damned smart and they fully understand what is going on.
I agree with the previous post, NO way.
You asked the question so inquiring minds want to know, what would YOU do?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2024

Jim--agree with your sentiment. As a coach, you'd rather win or lose with good people.

I thought this was an interesting conversation to have. It doesn't reflect my personal opinion.

I also doubt Tom Ryan has any interest.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 8, 2024

"I know how most of you probably feel. But its still worth discussing."

Appreciate you stirring the pot. It's worth discussing for fans on a forum, perhaps, but if the discussion among the staff lasted longer than 10 seconds, and ended with anything other than a resounding "no," I would be extremely disappointed.

Each of your last three bullets are almost in and of themselves complete non-starters. All three in one package?

And to be clear, I'm not against giving second chances in some instances. But (1) there are certain things you don't deserve a second chance for, and (2) second chances require contrition and a clear change in behavior--two things we haven't and aren't likely to see in this case.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 8, 2024

Separate from his behavior issues, his wrestling in the final at that event indicated to me that he is far from being at the level of where he was when he won the national championship.

Even back then, I wasn't impressed with his performance since it was a weak weight that year and he stalled when on top by grabbing the ankle and driving the bottom man out of bounds repeatedly.

In short, IMO, he has limited appeal from a wrestling perspective and no appeal from a behavior perspective.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next