Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Girls Sub-Regional (sectionals)
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 31, 2023

This past week, OHSAA and Dustin Ware, working with OHSWCA leadership, finalized four sub-regional (sectionals) into a regional model for the girls postseason. With girls numbers well over 2,000 and OHSAA set on a one-day model for regionals, this is a necessary step to keep girls regionals to 16. While the sectionals will probably be small the first couple years, this is the model. They will take place on a Friday or Sunday.

4 subregions --> NE Mentor

4 subregions --> NW Marysville

4 subregions --> C/SE Orange

4 subregions --> SW Harrison

Additionally, the regions will likely be slightly redrawn to balance the huge growth in the NE, but that will be finalized by OHSAA. I'll share anything as I get it. Post or reach out with questions.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 1, 2024

Brian, I have to claim ignorance on this, I was watching some of the Women's Midlands matches and they were freestyle scoring and not folkstyle. Is that the way it is in girl's high school matches?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 1, 2024

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Brian, I have to claim ignorance on this, I was watching some of the Women's Midlands matches and they were freestyle scoring and not folkstyle. Is that the way it is in girl's high school matches?"

I really wish this was the case (NY girls wrestle only FS) but it's not. Folksytle for OH girls.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 1, 2024

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

I really wish this was the case (NY girls wrestle only FS) but it's not. Folksytle for OH girls."

I agree with you 100% but I have to wonder if there are anywhere close to enough FS officials in Ohio to handle it? Going FS at the start would have been the smart move. Downstream would be much harder to make a change.
Just a personal opinion but I doubt the OHSAA would want to give up control, or the money, of girls wrestling. It is growing so fast that they see dollar signs.

► Add to the Discussion