Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: TOSU v. Cornell
Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 3, 2024

Big match Friday. Jason can do the breakdown.

I have 2 tickets for the lowest and quickest bidder. Initial asking price $0.00.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 3, 2024

I’ll take a shot

125: McCrone #21 vs Diakamoholis/Ungar #16
133: Bouzakis #10 vs Aruja #2
141: Mendes #3 vs Cornella #10
149: D’Emilio #5 vs Fernandez
157: Gallagher #11 vs Shipiro #15
165: Wilcox #21/Hepner vs Ramirez #4
174: Welch/?? vs ??
184: Shumate/ Hoffman #14 vs Foca #7
197: Geog #20 vs Cardenas #8
285: Feldman #18 vs Fernandez #19

Cornell sat a lot of guys at the collegiate duals, and they did so previously when these two teams met up. I hope we see both teams at least with majority starters this go around. Cornell is very very good, and could turn this into a lop sided win even though OSU is ranked higher in duals. Ohio State has performed above projections in duals all year outside of Pitt. Big questions remain about 165, 174, and 184. There is a path to victory, but OSU has to minimize bonus. Bousakis could have a roller coaster match or get tech’d. Should be fun to watch. Will Welch be tabbed the starter for the rest of the season? Will Hoffman continue to get the nod at 184, and where is Shumate? For my money 285 and 157 are pivotal. I’m not confident in Paddy beating the stud freshman, and we really need to see Feldman get back on track if he is going to challenge for a podium spot in the post season.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 3, 2024

Per OSU website
125-No. 23 Brendan McCrone (R-Fr)vs. No. 12 Brett Ungar (So.)
133-No. 13 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr.) vs. Ethan Qureshi (Fr.)
141-No. 3 Jesse Mendez (So.) vs. No. 17 Vince Cornella (So.)
149-No. 5 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr) vs.No. 24 Ethan Fernandez (So.)
157-No. 12 Paddy Gallagher (R-So.)vs.No. 15 Meyer Shapiro (Fr.)
165-No. 21 Isaac Wilcox (Sr.) vs. No. 3 Julian Ramirez (Jr.)
or Bryce Hepner (R-Jr.)
174-Rocco Welsh (Fr.) vs. Benny Baker (Sr.)
184-No. 16 Gavin Hoffman (Gr.) vs. No. 8 Chris Foca (Jr.)
197-No. 24 Luke Geog (R-Fr.) vs. No. 7 Jacob Cardenas (Sr.)
285-No. 18 Nick Feldman (R-Fr.) vs.No. 19 Lewis Fernandes (Sr.)
or Hogan Swenski (R-So.)

Should be some good match ups.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 4, 2024

Looks like a very close dual. If Vito isn't going to go, probably 5 matches to 5 on paper.

Something like:

125) Ungar dec. McCrone - 3-0 Cornell
133) Bouzakis maj. Qureshi - 4-3 OSU (could be worse)
141) Mendez maj. Cornella - 8-3 OSU
149) D'Emilio dec. Fernandez - 11-3 OSU
157) Shapiro dec. Gallagher - 11-6 OSU (could be worse)
165) Ramirez maj. Wilcox - 11-10 OSU
174) Welsh dec. Baker - 14-10 OSU
184) Foca dec. Hoffman - 14-13 OSU (could be worse)
197) Cardenas dec. Geog - 16-14 Cornell
285) Feldman dec. Fernandes - 17-16 OSU

McCrone has looked better in a dual setting than tourney, so could easily see that result flip. Bouzakis already teched Vito's backup so we could see that again, or a pin. I expect Cornella will be better prepared for Mendez vs. what we saw in Vegas. Hard to know what to expect out of Shapiro, but if he's on, bonus isn't out of the question. If Feldman doesn't wrestle, Swenski is obviously a huge underdog.

Should be fun.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 4, 2024

If Welch's redshirt officially burned yet based on the number of matches he's wrestled so far?

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"If Welch's redshirt officially burned yet based on the number of matches he's wrestled so far?"

If I'm remembering the rules correctly, I believe this would be his 5th "competition date." So any attached competition after the Cornell dual (assuming he wrestles) would burn his eligibility.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 4, 2024

The only other scenario would be if Hepner is back at 165, then move Wilcox up to 174, but that has to be a question mark given Hepners recent status. It's beginning to look like TR has no choice but to pull Welshs RS??

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"The only other scenario would be if Hepner is back at 165, then move Wilcox up to 174, but that has to be a question mark given Hepners recent status. It's beginning to look like TR has no choice but to pull Welshs RS??"

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it, unless Hoffman wants to continue his vision quest on down to 174.

Wilcox has made some spot starts at 174 in the past but he's extremely undersized there. Hepner probably fits the weight better given his length but as you said, who knows where he is.

Not a huge proponent of pulling Welsh's redshirt but with no viable alternative I get it. It's not a particularly deep weight so I'm sure the staff will be thinking he can contend for AA. Whether or not that's realistic remains to be seen.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 4, 2024

Thanks for the info. 174 is a tough weight and Bucks aren't in trophy contention this year, IMO (Obviously I hope i'm wrong) so it'd make sense if they keep Welch's redshirt.

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"The only other scenario would be if Hepner is back at 165, then move Wilcox up to 174, but that has to be a question mark given Hepners recent status. It's beginning to look like TR has no choice but to pull Welshs RS??"

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it, unless Hoffman wants to continue his vision quest on down to 174.

Wilcox has made some spot starts at 174 in the past but he's extremely undersized there. Hepner probably fits the weight better given his length but as you said, who knows where he is.

Not a huge proponent of pulling Welsh's redshirt but with no viable alternative I get it. It's not a particularly deep weight so I'm sure the staff will be thinking he can contend for AA. Whether or not that's realistic remains to be seen."

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 4, 2024

"If Welch's redshirt officially burned yet based on the number of matches he's wrestled so far?"

It's Welsh dammit!! lol

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 4, 2024

Roe if the tickets are still available I will take them. Should be a good one. I got free tomorrow.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 5, 2024

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

It's Welsh dammit!! lol"

Like the Celtic region, not the fruit snack! On it

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 5, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Roe if the tickets are still available I will take them. Should be a good one. I got free tomorrow."

They are yours. Enjoy. Go Bucks!

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 5, 2024

two tix available

Hi all -
Sorry for late notice, but I can't make it down to tonight's match.
Have two tix, great seats, 50 yard line/mid-mat, about four rows up.
Let me know if you can put these to good use.
Same price as Roe's (free). ;)

Go Bucks!!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 5, 2024

Very entertaining dual.

McCrone is always fun, needs to improve fundamentals. I don't think his performances have been bad considering his pedigree.

Bouzakis did what you would hope against an overeat he'd backup. Given the losses he has had, I'm thrilled to see him keeping up the positive momentum.

Mendez is that guy.

Dylan does what Dylan does, solid win.

Paddy, well, Shapiro was discussed as a potential preseason #1 for a reason. Paddy was overmatched and did not wrestle well. Back to the drawing board with him, still think he can put things together, but he hasn't yet.

Hepner is such a tough out, he could have pulled off a huge win tonight. He'll beat good guys, but he needs to create his own offense to be able to put multiple high level wins together.

Rocco looks fantastic, but I think this might be his 5th performance, so it's decision time with regards to his redshirt. I suppose the other option is Wilcox, who jas looked pretty undersized at 174, and probably has a lower upside. Welsh looks like a big contributor for the future if not this year.

I loved watching Hoffman make the podium. I would be very okay not seeing him in the lineup again, but I don't think they burn Rogotzke's redshirt for marginal potential points. Hoffman just doesn't look competitive.

Geog will get there, Cardenas is just better at this point.

Nice win for Feldman, not huge margins at heavyweight and that's a big brace on his knee. Great shot for the winning takedown.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next