Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: TOSU v. Cornell
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 5, 2024

Takeaways from this match:

-Bouzakis is a ferocious pinner. You can see the Stieber influence in a lot of the lower weights particularly Bouzakis.

-Hepner was in a tight match with 3rd ranked Ramirez and appeared to have the winning takedown before being reversed with 3 seconds left.

-Rocco Welsh is a freaking hammer and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Buckeyes. I hope they keep the redshirt off as I really like watching this dude wrestle.

-They have to consider giving Shumate or Rogo the start as Hoffman is clearly not the answer for the Bucks at 184.

-Feldman showing some grit to go get that takedown late to win the dual.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 5, 2024

I just hope Hepner stays healthy, I see why he has wins over Kharchla and Amine. Nearly beat #3 Ramirez, so so close. Rocco looked great. Maybe we see Shumate at 184 for some matches, Hoffman just doesn't seem himself at 184. And after seeing that big brace on Feldmans knee I see why they recruited Neves. You just can't predict who will remain healthy in college wrestling.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 5, 2024

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Takeaways from this match:

-Bouzakis is a ferocious pinner. You can see the Stieber influence in a lot of the lower weights particularly Bouzakis.

-Hepner was in a tight match with 3rd ranked Ramirez and appeared to have the winning takedown before being reversed with 3 seconds left.

-Rocco Welsh is a freaking hammer and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Buckeyes. I hope they keep the redshirt off as I really like watching this dude wrestle.

-They have to consider giving Shumate or Rogo the start as Hoffman is clearly not the answer for the Bucks at 184.

-Feldman showing some grit to go get that takedown late to win the dual."

I like the announcer who said "he looks like a Rocco" when watching Welsh. Also enjoyed watching Bouzakis wrestle like we know he can.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Takeaways from this match:

-Feldman showing some grit to go get that takedown late to win the dual."

I like the announcer who said "he looks like a Rocco" when watching Welsh. Also enjoyed watching Bouzakis wrestle like we know he can."

Shane Sparks is the man, such great energy, but I was watching Oklahoma State - NC State before switching over, and nobody beats Rock Harrison

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

I see some trends in the Buckeye lineup that are a little heavy on counter dependency. I’m not sure outside of Mendes and D’Emilio that took many guys can create enough offense to get to their takedowns when needed against upper tier competition. The Bucks are having a tremendous dual season in no small part to big time performances as the right time. Food for thought,
I sat behind the Cornell bench for the dual. Always interesting to see teams and coaches interact. I was extremely impressed in Meyer Shipiro following the match. I found it interesting that Mike Grey spent inordinate amount of time preparing Shipiro for his match, but hardly spoke to the rest of the team. He even warmed him up and stretched him. Perhaps that’s what he requests, but I just thought it was odd that he would hyper focus on one athlete. Following Shipiro’s win I watched him kneel down and spend several minutes coaching up a redshirt senior that had just lost. Tremendous leadership stuff there, and very unique.
Hoffman has not demonstrated one iota of effectiveness in the lineup since December of 2022. He is too slow, rigid, and sucking too much weight for 184. He is a liability at this point. It’s well past time to move on. 7 years is plenty.
While I think we should worry a little about Feldman squeaking a victory over a guy he majored earlier in the year, and he is at a disadvantage when his opponent doesn’t shoot on him, I think he showed tremendous wits in changing tactics at the end of the match. Get probably to six or seven shots where he was stuffed and was not able to finish. In the last takedown he brilliant faked his shot before shooting head outside which allowed him to double off and score. Gutie performance.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"

Shane Sparks is the man, such great energy, but I was watching Oklahoma State - NC State before switching over, and nobody beats Rock Harrison"

I am on the other end of the spectrum, i don't care for either of them.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

After the match, Tom Ryan confirmed Carson Kharchla’s injury is a season-ender. Rocco Welsh asked to replace him. He’s the permanent starter.

The Big Ten season begins next week against Illinois. The way it goes will hinge on the progress of Hepner, Welsh and Feldman, imo. For various reasons, all three are still waiting to get into a groove.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

I love Shane Sparks. He relentlessly promotes the sport on social media in addition to being an enthusiastic broadcaster.

A dual meet is completely different from tourney action. I saw smart, strategic wrestling out of several young Bucks including Feldman and Geog. Feldman knew he could get to that shot but waited until it made sense to attack. It was good wrestling and good coaching.

Geog, who has underwhelmed at times, held a very good Cardenas to a decision by keeping position and not overcommiting on offense. Those team points mattered. Kudos to him for a smart, game effort. Again--good coaching.

That was an exciting dual meet. Obviously, I hated watching Paddy take a beating but Shapiro is a title contender right now and a matchup nightmare due to his length.

The What Ifs...A healthy Sasso, a healthy Kharchla and a healthy Hepner and this team could have challenged for runnerup at NCAA's.

The Reality--184 is a mess. We have no 174 unless Welsh gets pulled out of redshirt. And they really need a healthy Hepner in the lineup. He's a very good folkstyle wrestler. Otherwise, enjoy this team. We're missing the superstars but they compete hard and are fun to watch.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

I also thought Geog managed the match better than he has in the past. He usually gets gassed by the third period, but he slowed things down this time. And Welsh meets #3 Ruth next week vs Illinois so we should get a barometer on his progress up to this point. He doesn't seem to lack toughness. At 184 I think you have to give Shumate a shot, still think Rogotzke needs more time. Hepner is fun to watch, never out of the match. Considering his limited action, he gave Ramirez a scare last night.

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"

Shane Sparks is the man, such great energy, but I was watching Oklahoma State - NC State before switching over, and nobody beats Rock Harrison"

I am on the other end of the spectrum, i don't care for either of them."

I get that perspective, but I'm a millennial with ADD, so the naked enthusiasm works for me lol.

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I also thought Geog managed the match better than he has in the past. He usually gets gassed by the third period, but he slowed things down this time. And Welsh meets #3 Ruth next week vs Illinois so we should get a barometer on his progress up to this point. He doesn't seem to lack toughness. At 184 I think you have to give Shumate a shot, still think Rogotzke needs more time. Hepner is fun to watch, never out of the match. Considering his limited action, he gave Ramirez a scare last night."

Agreed on your Geog point, but man did Grey/Cardenas give away a team point there, very poor match management in the third.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

Great dual! Crowd energy really came through on the TV. I like Sparks and Rock. Tim Johnson is brutal to me.

Side question. Has the big weight cut down ever worked for Buckeyes? Admittedly, I have only started really paying attention to Ohio State wrestling in the Tom Ryan / internet era but I can only remember the times it didn't work.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

Doug, yes. J Jaggers won two NCAA titles with a brutal cut to 141. Granted, there were times in the regular season the cut proved too much and he lost to an inferior opponent. But by March he had his weight under control and was unstoppable.

Your point is well taken. Stronger, happier wrestlers tend to perform better. Hoffman took a small risk in cutting to 184. He would be having similar results had he stayed at 197.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

184 needs to be shumate. You’re not losing anything starting him
Excited for Hepner. Sparks is fine. Can’t stand Tim Johnson. I can tolerate Jim gibbons

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 6, 2024

The interesting matches to me were Paddy, Hepner, Welsh.

As mentioned, Shapiro was getting coached throughout his time at Covelli. He has a legitimate shot at an NCAA championship this season. Wrestlers need to develop rituals and a mindset for college wrestling. I suspect that he has all the requisite wrestling skills in place but still needs to shape how he thinks about competitions.

I rewatched the first takedown on Paddy in slow motion and his hands weren't in great position. He was fighting unsuccessfully for a tie when Shapiro ankle picked him. Hand positioning is more than important in this game as just about every successful set up is preceded by getting the opponent's hands out of position.

Hepner made two mistakes. Part of unorthodox wrestling is knowing when to switch back and wrestle orthodox. Had he run the near side cradle to the head and far hip in the first period and freed his leg and hip heisted down in the third, he shuts out #3 Ramirez with a major. I do like the way he competes. Looks large for 165.

I love Rocco's relentless attack. He's looked great this season. He looks ready to compete for AA this year.

I won't be surprised if Buckeyes have 5 All Americans this year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next