Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: SDSU win over Michigan
Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 7, 2024

The Jack Rabbits won going away in a dual with the Wolverines. No starters at 125, 133, and at least one other weight. Two takes.
1. Damian Hahn is a great coach. His lineup is replete with solid guys up and down the lineup with real all American threats at two or three weights. I would love to see them push towards a top ten finish this year. Great for wrestling, great to see Hahn continue where Bono left off. I’m curious if Hahn gets a crack at a Big Ten job at some point. His Alma mater likely won’t come open anytime soon.
2. Michigan has a team of mercenaries plucked from the transfer portal. Lots of 5th and 6th year guys. They will likely be a much different and more competitive team in February and March but I just think this reinforces my belief that bringing guys in over people you recruit out of high school is unhealthy for a program. What possible kind of team culture can exist in a program where you don’t develop guys, you just scavenge other programs for them? Doesn’t speak much to the much overpriced and over hyped Michigan staff IMO.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 7, 2024

Jared: The Cliff Keen Wrestling Club has a lot of money as well as a wealthy donor base to draw from. I think they're trying to figure out how best to compete given their assets.
I'm sure that a number of the wrestlers they've brought in plan to stay in Ann Arbor to train.

In addition they have an excellent frosh class

What would the Bucks do if they had similar assets (I'm assuming they don't although I have no deep knowledge of the situation)? I think the Bucks have committed to their recruits because it makes the most sense given their finances.

UM has bought a squad and so far the results are subpar given the investment. As you noted, we'll see in March.

Damion Hahn is doing an outstanding job at S Dakota State. Same for Troy Nickerson at Northern Colorado. Not sure who runs Little Rock but that's another program on the rise. We're seeing some very good coaching throughout the country. Many lesser name programs have at least one legitimate AA candidate. That's good for the sport.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 7, 2024

Hahn recently tweeted that SDSU has all ten guys in their line up as ranked (either top 33, top 30, or maybe even top 25) - a program first.

That’s legit for any team, but surely for the Jackrabbits.

And I do believe they have two Ohioans on the squad.

► Add to the Discussion