Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Messenbrink
Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Whether or not the portal should be used more I hope he has a biased view of his team. While the portal is the blatant use of money to acquire talent, a lot of money, time and effort goes into building relationships with these top guys he has recruited — and brought in.

Also, you want Bousakis for 2-3 more years or a one year rental who may cause Bouzakis to leave because you brought someone in to replace him for one year?

I don’t.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Nick, if Messenbrink’s decision to go to Penn State came down to NIL it’s not Tom Ryan’s fault. It’s ours. Someone with resources needed to step up.

And if that person is reading this, please pony up for Marcus Blaze and Bo Bassett. I’m good for $20.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

I know I'm old and wrong about a lot of things. I just find it sad about all the talk of buying a championship. Sorry it's come to this. If you buy a championship doesn't that just reduce it to who can be the highest bidder? I personally hope we keep building relations with our wrestlers, keep them here because of the culture and get a few individual championships. Really it seems to me that the thing Cael has over all the other programs is the culture there. Everything I read from the wrestlers is they love being in the Penn St room. and last night proved a point to me. It's a lot more exciting pulling out a win by homegrown talent over the mercenaries than the opposite could ever be

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Roe: Bouzakis may have already been replaced. Don’t need the transfer portal for that one. Davino is that good. He may be better already. Davino has stated he is going 133. 141 has cannon and mendes who I think both are better than Bouzakis also. It may be Bouzakis using the portal. Interesting to see what happens there.

Hey I don’t like this transfer portal thing either. It absolutely ruins small programs, but I also hate losing to Penn state and Iowa every year also. Tom Ryan says that if a kid transfers they should lose a year of eligibility to stop it from happening so much.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

[quote="Mike Stann"]I know I'm old and wrong about a lot of things. I just find it sad about all the talk of buying a championship. Sorry it's come to this. If you buy a championship doesn't that just reduce it to who can be the highest bidder? I personally hope we keep building relations with our wrestlers, keep them here because of the culture and get a few individual championships. Really it seems to me that the thing Cael has over all the other programs is the culture there. Everything I read from the wrestlers is they love being in the Penn St room. and last night proved a point to me. It's a lot more exciting pulling out a win by homegrown talent over the mercenaries than the opposite could ever be[/quote

I’m with you. I do think TR has a great culture, too. A little different. What TOSU doesn’t have is about 10 titles in 13 years. Like Saban at Bama, talented kids will want to go where titles can be had.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2024

Here's the good news. While PSU remains in the drivers seat, there's more talent out there than any one school can bring in. If you're a stud recruit and not interested in PSU for one of many legit reasons, the Bucks, with a NCAA title, 3 BT Titles an Olympic Gold Medalist, a 4x champ, etc...present one of the few programs that can entice.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 29, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Tom Ryan says that if a kid transfers they should lose a year of eligibility to stop it from happening so much."

I agree. There needs to be something in place to curtail it. I think of it somewhat similarly to regular students switching schools midway through - you're free to do it but some of your credits may not transfer directly to your major, which may delay your graduation. For college athletes transferring, instead of making them sit out a year, simply take away a year of eligibility so they end one year earlier.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 30, 2024

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

"Tom Ryan says that if a kid transfers they should lose a year of eligibility to stop it from happening so much."

I agree. There needs to be something in place to curtail it. I think of it somewhat similarly to regular students switching schools midway through - you're free to do it but some of your credits may not transfer directly to your major, which may delay your graduation. For college athletes transferring, instead of making them sit out a year, simply take away a year of eligibility so they end one year earlier."

Isn't there something about violating Federal restraint of trade laws, which is the reason the old system fell apart? Congress was going to step in...?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 30, 2024

https://youtu.be/DW8kII_d6FY?si=lHzctwMdW4RmGzfX

Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

" Davino has stated he is going 133. 141 has cannon and mendes who I think both are better than Bouzakis also."

I don't project Bouzakis at 133 next year and that has nothing to do with Davino. i have heard that it is a tough pull for him to make 133. I assume Jesse is good at 141, so I project Nick to get swoll over the next offseason. He seems to have the physique to do it too. More so than Jesse.
Hopefully, we can get a healthy Sasso at 157 as well.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Bouzakis is a 133 in my opinion and should remain there for another season. 149 is the winner of Cannon and D'Emilio if DD comes back. Davino is a great prospect but he redshirts while the situation sorts itself out...unless he can cut to 125.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 2, 2024

There are 20 spots available for tonight’s match-up.

My question is, of the 20 who wrestle tonight, how many will enter the B1G tournament?

I think both teams are still working through line-up issues so it might not be 20 of 20.

Go Buckeyes!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3