Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bucks v Wisconsin
Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 21, 2024

OSU wins 27-15. McCrone gets decked with a dose of his own medicine in 37 seconds. Hepner gets tech’d by Hamati (so did Karchla last year), and Shumate gets majored by the #16 guy.
Buzakis gets within a few points of a tech then gases the whole third period but hangs on for a major. Mendes, D’Emilio, Wilcox, and Feldman perform per usual. Welsh gets a nice controlled win over #11 and Geog looks hesitant in a 7-2 win over a backup 184.
Decent showing for a mid January Big Ten dual. Big time matchup against an under rated Michigan team Friday night. No reason to think the Buckeye train can’t keep on rolling

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2024

Given that the Bucks merely needed Geog to win to clinch the dual, it's possible he was told just to do what was necessary. It's also possible he was nursing an injury. He did his job.

Rocco Welsh continues to impress. He's just so fundamentally sound and did a nice job against an experienced opponent.

We saw the best and not so best of Bouzakis. I look at it as this match gives the staff a lot to build on as well as correct.

McCrone made a mistake and paid against a 2x AA. They'll show this match repeatedly after McCrone wins NCAA's at this wide open weight.

D'Emilio faced a tough opponent who's strategy was not to shoot and try to keep it tight and pull it out in the end. In fact, quite a few Wiscy wrestlers utlized that strategy. For all of Jon Reader's talk on social media, I thought his team was decidedly non offensive. Maybe he should stay off Twitter and spend more time teaching leg attacks?

Dean Hamiti showed Bryce Hepner who was the Alpha when it came to this scrambling type of wrestling which both enjoy. I'm not surprised at the outcome and remain convinced Hepner can have a very good season.

Overall I'm enjoying the 23-24 Buckeye wrestling squad. Their upcoming match with Michigan could be one of the best duals of the season.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 21, 2024

Just wondering, I saw an interview about a month ago with Lou Rosselli, and he said he was going to be a volunteer coach at OSU but I have yet to see him on the bench at these duals, anyone know his status?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 22, 2024

Welsh is impressive. Those lanky guys who are also talented can give anyone fits, especially a freshman.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 22, 2024

Wow I was impressed by their 184 pounder Liegel. He can wrestle, dominant on top, and can scramble.

Fun watching the Young Bucks going through their growing pains while they are having a good amount of success.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 22, 2024

Jack, Lou’s volunteer position is informal. He’s not on staff and cannot coach the team in competition. My sense is he’s taking it easy this year while he finishes out his contract at Oklahoma.

Dean Hamiti is a ridiculous scrambler. He’s a terrible matchup for Hepner and anyone else who dares to roll around with him.

► Add to the Discussion