Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Thoughts from a ladies match
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 22, 2024

I fully understand that many (and maybe most) of you might not have too much interest in this topic but, like it or not, it is growing on both the HS and college level.

Yesterday I had the privilege of officiating a ladies match between Olentangy Orange and Canon Macmillan (from south of Pittsburgh). These are two of the very good girls programs and the met as a preliminary to Hiram wrestling John Carroll, Slippery Rock, and another school out of New York, D'Youville.

I want to stress that the ladies wrestle considerably differently than the guys do. Not better or worse, just different. One of the major differences is how very flexible they are. You might see a lady giving up NF points while her hips are square to the mat. As a guy, I wonder how that is even possible!
In years gone by, we used to see a lot of head and arm throws. Yesterday I don't recall seeing any. They are learning and advancing quickly.

Several other things were very apparent to me.
They display great sportsmanship. Win or lose, they were respectful to the opponent.
They were very friendly toward me and my assistant and several of them came to me to shake hands after the event.
In the skin check they knew what to do and did not act like many guys do (that they think it is beneath them).
Not one of them tried to pull away when I raised their hands in victory.

All in all, I think if any of you attend a ladies wrestling event, you might be more surprised than you would imagine. I know a number of coaches who do, or have, coach men find that coaching the ladies has given them a fresh perspective on the sport.

BTW, remember that in HS we are folk style and in college it is FS.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

Mr. Behrens --- thanks for coming out and calling a great match! Our Orange girls had a great time.

Like he said, interest in the girls side likely varies on this site, but I think the most common thing I hear is "really cool stuff, but not for me". How can you know?

My advice: if you have girls in your program, make their experience a priority. I know this can be hard, especially if you're pulling double duty. Find good matches or equal matches. Do side by sides with guys matches. If you have elite girls, hunt down the big matches.

Their game will elevate. You'll see more interest.

Males and females are (generally) built different, not just physically, but above the neck. We can debate if it's nature or nurture (I believe it's a little of both), but studies have shown over and over that if we support a girls space to train and be a team, numbers will explode. It's consistent data.

That's soapbox. This is a great and knowledgable site, so wanted to share.

And circling back...Can-Mac is the returning Pennsylvania state champion. I didn't hate the result!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 28, 2024

Echo much of Brian's post.

Just hosted a combined 2 day MS and HS tournament at Bellefontaine.

509 girls total. Girls lining the mats. It was loud. It was crowded. It was awesome.

Build it and they will come.

John Herren added to this discussion on February 29, 2024

I have been following girls wrestling. Attended each state tournament at Davidson. I hav been telling anyone who will listen that there are some bad azz girls out there. Also, been talking about how the officials hav to be ready to judge potentially dangerous different because the flexibility of the girls is off the chart sometimes.

The passion is def there and its wonderful to watch. Our school started a girls youth team and had 40 girls in the room. Pretty cool.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 29, 2024

And still no buzz from OSU athletics concerning starting a women's program?

► Add to the Discussion