Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. that school up north
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

Can’t wait to attend this dual Friday. Should be a good one!

125 – #24 Brendan McCrone v. #14 Michael DeAugustino – Unless McCrone hits a magical cradle, DeAugustino is going to win this match, and might get bonus. If I were coaching the opponent, I would have DeAugustino catch and release and keep this match in neutral. The more time on the mat, the better the chance for McCrone to hit a 7 point move.
OSU 0 – tsun 4

133 – #12 Nic Bouzakis v. #4 Dylan Ragusin – Pure toss up. I am going to favor Ragusin, both to not be a homer and because of his experience.
OSU 0 – tsun 7

141 – #3 Jesse Mendez v. #19 Sergio Lemley – Mendez gets OSU on the scoreboard here, and I think he will push for bonus late, but come up just short.
OSU 3 – tsun 7

149 – #9 Dylan D’Emilio v. #6 Austin Gomez – Man, what a match. Can DD get revenge for Sammy? I favor Gomez if he’s 100%. He seems to have the clutch gene.
OSU 3 – tsun 10

157 – #30 Isaac Wilcox v. #10 Will Lewan – Will Lewan is what’s wrong with college wrestling. He shows no offense, tries to win on RT or a late takedown, and somehow never gets hit with stalling. I believe Lewan has gotten a 1-2 point win in every match against an OSU wrestler in his career, and I don’t see that changing.
OSU 3 – tsun 13

165 - #21 Bryce Hepner v. #10 Cam Amine – If Hepner can finish his shots, I think he can beat Amine. We’ve seen him struggle against Andonian and Hamiti, but those guys are on a different level than Amine. I think Hepner pulls off the upset her, buoyed by the confidence of his previous victory in their lone matchup.
OSU 6 – tsun 13

174 – #11 Rocco Welsh v. #4 Shane Griffith – I will admit, the tsun lineup is stacked. Griffith isn’t explosive, but counters well, so Welsh will need to pick his spots and get off bottom when it’s his choice. I see this as either a 1-1 or 4-2 match late, and I think Rocco gets the TD to steal a win.
OSU 9 – tsun 13

184 - #32 Seth Shumate v. #15 Jaden Bullock – A match OSU has to have. Shumate has been inconsistent all year, so who knows what we get. Unfortunately, I think it’ll be bad Shumate, and tsun just about seals the dual.
OSU 9 – tsun 16

197 - #22 Luke Geog v. NR Bobby Strigow – Another match OSU has to have. I think Geog gets a controlled victory to make it interesting going into heavy.
OSU 12 – tsun 16

285 - #16 Nick Feldman v. #4 Lucas Davidson – Davidson isn’t a huge heavy, so Feldman will be right there with a shot to win, but, either way, I don’t see bonus points in the cards. I think Davidson’s experience gets him a close win.
OSU 12 – tsun 19

Overall – OSU is only “favored” to win 2 matches, 141 and 197, which is crazy, because they have a talented squad. Also, Penn State just kicked the shit out of tsun! OSU needs to wrestle their best, pull multiple upsets and score some unexpected bonus points, just to have a chance. tsun will send out 4 hired guns, and it would have been 5 if Cannon hadn’t gotten hurt. The times they are a changin. Go Bucks!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

I wonder if TR is tempted to put Gonzales out there vs Ragusin? Andre lost in OT earlier in the year to him. And let's see if Amine stalls like he did in the PSU match, he looked terrible and got 4 stalling points called on himself. And Hepner has beaten him before so who knows?? Do you put Rogotzke in there at 184 for an all or nothing match?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

Amine needed OT to beat a nobody from Rutgers on Sunday. Looks to be working his way back into match shape, so Hepner needs to keep pressure on him.

DeAugustino has one bonus all year against Maryland kid so I don’t see bonus here. He also just got beat by an elementary kid from PSU.

Michigan 141 gave PSU a match and came close to winning so curious to see how Mendez handles him.

I would be curious if Bucks send out Ryder at 184 if Bucks are down and look for a pin.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

Nice breakdown. This match was a lot closer on paper before Gomez arrived, although it's worth noting Gomez didn't wrestle vs. Rutgers over the weekend.

Going to need a couple of upsets or surprise bonus in any case to win this.

This seems like the perfect spot for Amine. He has a knack for showing up just when you think he's dead. Little known fact, he was a hair away from becoming a Buckeye. Story goes he was all ready to commit, then his family convinced him to wait and think on it for a few days, and were able to convince him at the 11th hour to stay home.

Gomez should be there Friday, he was in wrestling in Mexico over the weekend for Olympic trials or something like that.

I feel like the guys that have been wrestling for 5-6-7 years don’t necessarily try during duals and save it all for NCAA tournament. Maybe that’s just me.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Gomez should be there Friday, he was in wrestling in Mexico over the weekend for Olympic trials or something like that.

I feel like the guys that have been wrestling for 5-6-7 years don’t necessarily try during duals and save it all for NCAA tournament. Maybe that’s just me."

Ahhh that's right, I saw he had qualified but totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Agreed on some of these super-vets. Regular season definitely not a priority for all of them. Good number of them "playing themselves into shape."

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

Per OSU website:
125-#24 Brendan McCrone (R-Fr) vs #14 Michael DeAugustino (Gr.)
133-#12 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr.) vs #4 Dylan Ragusin (R-Jr.)
141-#3 Jesse Mendez (So.) vs #19 Sergio Lemley (Fr.)
149-#9 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr.) vs #6 Austin Gomez (Gr.)
157-#30 Isaac Wilcox (Sr.) vs #10 Will Lewan (Gr.)
165-#21 Bryce Hepner (R-Jr.) vs #10 Cameron Amine (R-Sr.)
174-#11 Rocco Welsh (Fr.) vs #4 Shane Griffin (Gr.)
or Joseph Walker (R-Jr.)
184-Ryder Rogotzke (Fr.) vs #15 Jaden Bullock (R-Jr.)
or #32 Seth Shumate (R-Fr.)
197-#22 Luke Geog (R-Fr.) vs Bobby Striggow (Gr.)
or Rylan Rogers (R-Fr.)
285- #16 Nick Feldman (R-Fr.) vs #4 Lucas Davison (Gr.)

Mich has an either/or at 174 and 197, and OSU has one at 184.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

Your NCAA Football Champion Michigan Wolverines have the best lineup money can buy. Unfortunately, the Bucks just don't match up well. I have no idea what to expect out of Gomez but if he's close to the wrestler that beat Sammy a couple times, it's a tough go for a game D'Emilio.

I like Rocco Welsh and Shane Griffith has been off his game this season. But it's a lot to expect the upset of someone as accomplished as Griffith. Honestly I think an upset by McCrone is more likely.

We'll find out more about Bouzakis this weekend. Ragusin isn't slick but he's a tough folkstyler and coming off a big win over Ragusin.

Shumate v Striggow will also be a good one. And Feldman is slick enough to give Davison a good match. Davison isn't overpowering; he's just a good wrestler.

On a brighter note, it's an intriguing dual for a young Bucks squad that has wrestled better than expected. And UM has not overwhelmed. Let's think less about it from a win/lose perspective and instead view it as a good opportunity for an underdogs Bucks squad to rise to an occasion.

One last note--Mendez will major Lemley.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 24, 2024

With absolutely no evidence or data to back this up…I think this will be much more competitive then what rankings show on paper. One consistent, outside of the Pitt dual, is that Ohio State has been game in duals all year. I think there will be some upsets that fall in the Bucks favor. Should be a great show

Sounds like Michigan football had the best scouting department money could buy as well.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 25, 2024

I just saw a note on Flo that Lemley is the ONLY underclassman in the starting lineup! That's some serious turnover!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Sounds like Michigan football had the best scouting department money could buy as well."

Actually, they were just too arrogant to conceal it from what I can tell. They all do it. This is self inflicted nonsense.

I have mixed feelings about Harbaugh. Actually, I just think he's a selfish bastard at heart. Ultimately, he did what he was hired to do but it was a very tough slog to get there, he mades big messes, and now he's departing as they face the toughest schedule in the country, an NCAA investigation and several key players turning pro. It's kind of like when you coach a really talented wrestler who's a crappy person.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 26, 2024

Holy shit Buckeyes blow.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 26, 2024

0 takedowns for OSU in 4 contested matches.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 26, 2024

No takedowns thru 157, two Buzakis reversals represent the only offensive points for the bucks in the match. Bucks are being beaten positionally. Over aggressive positions in neutral are costing them

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next