Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jaclyn Bouzakis
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 28, 2024

Ohio State needs to start a woman’s program and let her be the face of it when she gets here. As a high school freshman she won a college open beating two NCAA number one ranked girls along the way. Impressive

At what point does Ohio State bring in a women’s program? Women’s wrestling is the fastest growing sport in the USA. With an athletic department like Ohio state you would think it has to be inevitable. Women’s wrestling has to be bigger participation wise than half the other women’s sports. Hockey, field hockey, fencing, synchronized swimming, rowing, just a few off top of my head. It is now an Ohsaa sanctioned sport. It should be an embarrassment not to have women’s wrestling. What exactly is holding a program like Ohio state back?

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on January 28, 2024; edited 9 times in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Clemmons added to this discussion on January 28, 2024

Agree 100%, especially when you see sports such as pistol, fencing, etc.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 28, 2024

Bellefontaine just hosted a tournament with approx 500 HS and MS girls were entered (and this was with over 70 scratches). BIG TIME growth and tOSU should be embarrassed it doesn't have a program.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on February 1, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 29, 2024

This is all relatively new, and change doesn't happen over night. It feels like there is a groundswell around women's college athletics in general right now. Caitlin Clark is practically a walking sell out. Nebraska packed their football stadium for a women's volleyball match.

Thankfully, Iowa is leading the way on the wrestling front. I think we'll get there, but it takes money, and it takes leaders to step up in support.

With the new AD coming in (from a non-wrestling school, by the way), it's impossible to guess if this is the kind of thing he would want to put his stamp on or not. I'm inclined to think yes--feels like a really easy win. But who knows.

John Herren added to this discussion on January 29, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"This is all relatively new, and change doesn't happen over night. It feels like there is a groundswell around women's college athletics in general right now. "

Relatively new in Ohio only because we are late to the party. 15-20 states were ahead of Ohio in bringing on female wrestling as an offical sport.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 8, 2024

Good discussion. I would like to add to it and clarify a few points. Despite just being officially sanctioned 2 years ago, girls have been competing in Ohio since the early 90's and there were numerous elite girls in Ohio in the early 2000's that went on to have success at the next level (Oswalt, Shirley, Henry, Nemec to name a few). To your point, there has been exponential growth in the last several years since there have been opportunities to practice and compete against other girls/women (and not some sweaty dude). Unfortunately, Gene Smith was not a supporter of women's wrestling and said as much. Ohio state hosted a dual meet between Olentangy Orange and a Pennsylvania team before a match 2 years ago. Bouzakis is a stud and will be a blue chip recruit when the time comes (I mean she would be a top recruit right now as a freshman). In addition to this Central Ohio is a hotbed for girls wrestling in the state, with 3 top 5 teams (Orange, Marysville, and Delaware) within 30 minutes of the University. The quality of competition is getting better each year. This years freshman class has numerous girls that will contend for state titles immediately which says a lot as the quality of competition improves every year. Finally I would like to address the idea that cost to fund a women's program is a potential issue keeping this from happening. Ohio State has the richest athletic department in the country. In addition NIL is now in play and there may or may not be a growing wrestling shoe/apparel company owned by 2 former Buckeye wrestlers (and the Father of 2 more Buckeye wrestlers). It makes sense on so many levels, hopefully these guys will get it right.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on February 9, 2024

Well as the father of a daughter and four granddaughters I would love to see this. It also helps with Title nine issues that threatens collegiate wrestling at many schools.

► Add to the Discussion