Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs. PSU
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 29, 2024

Hank, it was a huge upset especially with what transpired in the lower weights. OSU was left for dead after losses to Bouzakis and D’Emilio.

But the biggest upset for OSU came in 2012 in a win over second-ranked Iowa. The Bucks hadn’t beaten Iowa in nearly 50 years and weren’t expected to this time.

Logan Stieber beat Tony Ramos, Hunter Stieber beat Montell Marion, Josh Demas beat Derek St. John and Derek Garcia beat Mike Evans. Cam Tessari, Nick Heflin and Andrew Campolattano also notched wins. The final score wasn’t close, 21-9.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 30, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"My upset special Hepner wins and shocks the world!"

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I was going to call my shot but Nick did it for me. Hepner for the win."

It's a nice thought, but that match is going to get ugly.

Hope I'm eating crow next week. I just don't see it.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 30, 2024

I agree the best dual ever was Ohio state beating Iowa in 2012. Big upsets everywhere. Would mendes have pinned Semley probably not. This is second however.

Messenbrink could very well tech hepner. I can also see this being a close match. His match against amine was a blowout but that is not the same Amine we have seen in the past. He was way out of shape. He didn’t even try to stand up and just laid on his belly. He was gassed bad. He had another decently close match with Ruiz which he won 14-10 and the caleb fish match was close to being 11-10 middle of the third. His teammate also was a 8-5 decision. So he isn’t invincible I don’t believe. Hepner is pretty good on top and will probably need to get back points somewhere to win. Messenbrink is constant offense and always attacking so he may get sloppy somewhere. Hamiti embarrassed Hepner tho which does cause me concern.

Bouzakis has a shot also if he can get the first takedown. If Nagao gets it the match is over. Bouzakis has to be able to beat him on his feet because he won’t ecscape on bottom.

Anything over 6 points in this dual is a win in my opinion.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Two things.
1.) on paper, and historically, this is supposed to be a blood bath.
2.) tOSU has out performed (ranking/dual) expectations all year. While I don’t think they even come close to winning this dual I have no reason to believe they won’t toe the line and take some shots. I think they manage three wins somehow somewhere. Not sure what that looks like, but I think it’s at least respectable.

You can’t say the Bucks haven’t been tested this year. Wins over Virginia Tech, UNI, NC State, Cornell, Michigan, and a top three showing at Vegas. Now a PSU matchup. Outside of seeing Iowa and Mizzou I think they’ve ran the gauntlet of opponents. Should bode well for out performing seeing at nationals

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Yep.

My fear is that Hank will be asking this question for the next 2-3 years, at least.

Penn St "only" loses Truax and Brooks next year? Then they have Barr coming in, a healthy SVN, and IMO the #1 senior this year in Luke Lilledahl. Not even going to mention Zack Ryder, Alex Facundo, etc.

Good for Penn St but I really don't want to be battling only for 2nd place year after year with the potential lineup the Bucks have. Again, Penn St is just that good.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"In fairness to the bucks, who's going to give PSU a competitive dual?"

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

#PizzaHut

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Penn St "only" loses Truax and Brooks next year? Then they have Barr coming in, a healthy SVN, and IMO the #1 senior this year in Luke Lilledahl. Not even going to mention Zack Ryder, Alex Facundo, etc. "

Their 2024 recruiting class is arguably their best ever. Six top 15 overall recruits including #1, depending on whose rankings you want to use.

Lilledahl looks like at minimum a 4x AA to me--possibly an immediate title challenger. Conor Mirasola beat Max Dean and Evan Wick last month. Ryder, Sealey, other Mirasola, and Gibson... they don't even need most of these guys to be good given what they already have in house.

Have to be the favorites to land the McCourt kids as well. Nobody is in a position at the moment to even think about how they stack up.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Penn St "only" loses Truax and Brooks next year? Then they have Barr coming in, a healthy SVN, and IMO the #1 senior this year in Luke Lilledahl. Not even going to mention Zack Ryder, Alex Facundo, etc. "

Their 2024 recruiting class is arguably their best ever. Six top 15 overall recruits including #1, depending on whose rankings you want to use.

Lilledahl looks like at minimum a 4x AA to me--possibly an immediate title challenger. Conor Mirasola beat Max Dean and Evan Wick last month. Ryder, Sealey, other Mirasola, and Gibson... they don't even need most of these guys to be good given what they already have in house.

Have to be the favorites to land the McCourt kids as well. Nobody is in a position at the moment to even think about how they stack up."

Jax Forest is linked to the other OSU and a lot of speculation on Buckeyes being in good shape for Bo. Maybe Dano can provide some insight.

My 2 cents
Davino = Lilledahl.
Birden = Sealy (and owns a win over him)
Ryder > Mirasola
Feldman > Mirasola
Welsh > Barr

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Until there's a crack in the Earth and Cael falls in, beating PSU will be the holy grail of dual meet action.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Jax Forest is linked to the other OSU and a lot of speculation on Buckeyes being in good shape for Bo. Maybe Dano can provide some insight.

My 2 cents
Davino = Lilledahl.
Ryder > Mirasola
Feldman > Mirasola
Welsh > Barr
"

Love the optimism.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

Love the optimism as well. We need it, all of us. I don't want to set my ceiling at 2nd place every damn season!

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Jax Forest is linked to the other OSU and a lot of speculation on Buckeyes being in good shape for Bo. Maybe Dano can provide some insight.

My 2 cents
Davino = Lilledahl.
Ryder > Mirasola
Feldman > Mirasola
Welsh > Barr
"

Love the optimism."

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

I am on the same page. This recruiting class they are all calling the best of all time.
I disagree and like our recruits coming in better.

I take davino over Lillahahl all day. Davino has beaten Jax Forrest and Blaze who have won college opens beating Ramos and Stinich the top 125 wrestlers in the nation this year in college opens. Davino had more dominating win against Forrest. Both will be good but Davino is a little better imo. Davino has 5 wins over top 14 p4p guys in last year.

Gibson being ranked top 15 p4p was a complete joke. Penn State commitment jumps you up. Gibson is not top 50 maybe not too 100. He lost to Kilkeary last year. He isn’t ever going to start for Penn state. He’s not even top 15 in his weight class imo.

Mirasolas have both lost to Ryder in last year. One will have to go heavyweight and I don’t think will even come close to Feldman. By next year Feldman is going to be a problem for everyone. This is basically his true freshman year. Think steveson jumping levels year two. I think we see same from Feldman.

Sealy and Birden are a wash imo. Sealy got his ranking bc of a world championship. Nothing to me shows he is that much better. I think Birden is still more raw and his athletism can help him jump levels in college. Henckal from Blair lost to Birden also that is coming to Penn state next year. Birden beats sealey and Henckal just 2 months ago and is not ranked in p4p and they both are top 20. Another joke.

There is nothing completely scary about this class. I am far more worried about Jax Forrest and Bo Bassett.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on January 31, 2024; edited 4 times in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

No. 6 OHIO STATE BUCKEYES vs. No. 1 PENN STATE
(InterMat Wrestling individual rankings used)
125-No. 24 Brendan McCrone (R-Fr) vs. No. 3 Braeden Davis (Fr.)
or Vinny Kilkeary (Fr.)
133-No.12 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr.)vs. No.5 Aaron Nagao (So.)
141-No.3 Jesse Mendez (So.) vs. No.2 Beau Bartlett (Sr.)
149-No.9 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr.) vs. No.12 Tyler Kasak Fr.)
157-Isaac Wilcox (Sr.) vs. No. 1 Levi Haines (So.)
165-No. 20 Bryce Hepner (R-Jr.)vsNo.7 Mitchell Mesenbrink (R-Fr.)
174-No. 11 Rocco Welsh (Fr.)vs.No. 1 Carter Starocci (Sr.)
184-Ryder Rogotzke (Fr.) vs. No. 5 Bernie Truax (Gr.)
or Seth Shumate (R-Fr.)
197-No. 22 Luke Geog (R-Fr.) vs. No. 1 Aaron Brooks (Sr.)
285-No. 12 Nick Feldman (R-Fr.) vs. No. 1 Greg Kerkviet (S

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on January 31, 2024

That is pretty telling that Kilkeary will go. It’s never had him as an option as starter and now he is listed. Head to head win they should go with him. Mccrone only wins with a home run move to get back points. Kilkeary gives us a better chance imo.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 2, 2024

Bucks Twitter posted photos of Kilkeary and Rogotzke warming up. What does it mean? Only that they made the trip. But notable that both are heavily clothed. That suggests they’re weighing in and need to cut.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next