Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs. PSU
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 2, 2024

PSU needs no help .. and the piss poor ref gave them help today. That dude has no business being the head official on a collegiate mat.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

So Bartlett beats Jesse in SV, Lemley beats #1 Woods, next week Iowa vs PSU. If Bartlett beats Woods will Jesse move to #2? If Woods beats Bartlett could Jesse sneak into #1 seed? The Big Ten seeding will be very interesting at 141 this year.
Welsh has to move into the top ten with a 4-2 loss to #1 Starocci, very impressive for a true freshman. Starocci has teched or pinned all 8 opponents this year prior to this match. And Ryder has one thing on his mind when he steps on the mat, PIN!! very refreshing to see that mindset. And Vinny got screwed.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"So Bartlett beats Jesse in SV, Lemley beats #1 Woods, next week Iowa vs PSU. If Bartlett beats Woods will Jesse move to #2? If Woods beats Bartlett could Jesse sneak into #1 seed? The Big Ten seeding will be very interesting at 141 this year.
Welsh has to move into the top ten with a 4-2 loss to #1 Starocci, very impressive for a true freshman. Starocci has teched or pinned all 8 opponents this year prior to this match. And Ryder has one thing on his mind when he steps on the mat, PIN!! very refreshing to see that mindset. And Vinny got screwed."

Kilkeary was too defensive for too long. So was Bartlett, but it's easier when the ref is on your side. Even the announcers weren't afraid to point out what the score should have been, and that's rare for those two to openly criticize the refs.

I know Haines was too good, but Hepner is fun to watch. All of them are - seems to be a completely different approach in the team this year. Whether down to coaching or youth or whatever, it's exciting. Hope it lasts.
TSUN dismantled Iowa so thoroughly-Hard to believe.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Brian, are you convinced Ryder Rogotzke will be significantly better in his fifth year than in his fourth?

If yes, then it was a mistake to pull his redshirt. If not, it’ll be ok.

Huge win for Ryder. He’s capable of pinning ANYONE at 184.

Bucks are competing hard. Horrendous call at 125."

It’ll be OK regardless, but it’s not 5th vs. 4th it’s 5th vs. 1st. I think this will have been a year of eligibility wasted.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

A couple guys worthy of praise--Hepner and Wilcox. Hepner has a lot of game. Martorana (UM) is a tough out and gave Caliendo a solid match last night. Hepner beat him in the last 30 seconds then gave Messenbrink his toughest match in a while.

Wilcox is not dazzling but he's stingy. Out on bottom...handfights well on his feet...good defense...doesn't beat himself. You need guys like Wilcox to win tough duals. He did a nice job last night against Haines.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Some kids don’t want to RS and aren’t looking at what year 5 might look like.

I hope Mendez v Bartlett ends up the like the 1st time Zain beat Logan.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Gotta love that the Bucks came in and took a swing at the champs. Couple calls go different and who knows?

On to Rutgers....Go Bucks!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

I don’t understand the no TD call at 125. Help me understand

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I don’t understand the no TD call at 125. Help me understand"

crickets…

Because I feel your pain.

Big Ten director of officials owes a major apology to VK.

Jason Fair added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Is 125 still up for grabs or will VK stay in RS?

I think Rogotzsky coming out of RS is right decision. Can’t predict the future and he is best guy we have. He will take some lumps still but I think it’ll accelerate his growth going into next year when the Bucks have a better shot to be a top 2 team.

Love the effort. This is different than what we’ve seen in some past years. That is, for the most part, the guys are fighting and look ready to go each time out, win or lose.

Looking ahead, I hope we get Davino to 125 for a year or two. Will Kharchla return? Will Neves push Feldman or do we expect Feldman to distance himself a little? How much rope does Geog get? 197 Looks like is may be the weakest weight next year unless we see some more development.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Fenton is wrestling at Edinboro open today. I wonder if he has been out with an injury and if still in the mix.

Wish Cannon, Herman and few other guys would be at some opens.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"A couple guys worthy of praise--Hepner and Wilcox. Hepner has a lot of game. Martorana (UM) is a tough out and gave Caliendo a solid match last night. Hepner beat him in the last 30 seconds then gave Messenbrink his toughest match in a while."

One question, at the end of the match it seemed like Bryce had a cradle locked up but never attempted to roll him to his back. Was there something that was preventing the turn? He had Mesenbrink all balled up, so it appeared to me, but never moved to turn him to his back. Was I missing something? Or was he too exhausted at that point?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

some thoughts,

Kilkeary should've finished low and taken his back rather than entertain taking the nearfall. Although, I think he did enough for a takedown, there was enough gray there to not call a takedown. Kind of like when Myles almost took Bo down but got pinned instead. Just score the takedown and finish conservatively.

Bouzakis gave a glimpse of how good he can be. I would love if he added a cement mixer. Think Mike Mena but stronger and more athletic. He's still figuring out the college game. Relies too heavily on his natural instincts. Needs more discipline. His performances have been all over the board. His loss against Ragusin was out of frustration and inability to figure out a way to his body. I can see him reverse that loss in Big Ten.

Jesse did a masterful job of getting to the single leg twice but was unable to convert. I think that is a winnable position with a technical adjustment. Jesse winning 3 OT matches at NCAAs and Bartlett with last second heroics against Mathews in OT quarters. Thought it would go to overtime. Match is a lot different if Jesse converts that leg attack. Maybe 6-1, Jesse.

Kasuk's standing suck back was cool. Went back and watched in slo mo a couple times. Tricky and replicable.

Hepner could've scored on that cradle with a couple technical skills and his leverage. Once you get that cradle locked up, you have to methodically break that man's position.

Rocco Welsh pushing the pace and controlling mat position in last period was awesome. I haven't seen anyone do that to Starocci.

Rogotzke is a rock star He has a lot of offense and different attacks. He is very dangerous and awful draw for anyone. Stone cold competitor. Truax initially picked him apart until he didn't. Ryder slowed him down and made him wrestle from a position that was outside his scope. The dynamic reminds me of Corey Olsen from Nebraska, who was excellent at a couple things and could replicate the positions against high level wrestlers.

Those freight train attacks by Kerkvliet were reminiscent of Stephen Neal. Not stopping those.

Really solid performance by the Buckeyes.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

So.....149 lbs for Ohio State. DD is tough and competes hard but he's taken hard L's this year at a brutal wt. We all know what he brings but there's a shred of something....call it horsepower...call it athleticism...that he lacks.

Are these correctable problems? Or does tOSU have to think about this weight for next season?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 3, 2024

Finally saw 25 and 33 today.

If a man going behind gets a takedown if the other guys pinky grazes the mat, Vinny had far more. Still, as Rex pointed out, barely enough grey area to make it possible the call “stands” rather than gets overturned.

Love me some Bouzy. He may have some things to clean up but he brings it.

Welsh is another level. Stallrocci (though not much any more) can make guys look awful. That wasn’t the case last night.

In fact, all these guys bring it. TR has over the last several years filled all weights with guys who are offensive and don’t quit. This is an easy team for which to root.

And they’re young.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next