Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Seth Mendoza
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 8, 2024

Bucks crack the top five for this 2025 prospect. North Carolina, Missouri, Illinois and Purdue are the others.

Mendoza is ranked fifth at 126. He’s a Fargo champ and a state champ in Illinois.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 8, 2024

125: True frosh Kilkeary, redshirt frosh McCrone plus Fenton
133: Redshirt frosh Bouzakis, incoming frosh Davino

What weight does young man wrestle in college?

Mike Stann added to this discussion on February 9, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"125: True frosh Kilkeary, redshirt frosh McCrone plus Fenton
133: Redshirt frosh Bouzakis, incoming frosh Davino

What weight does young man wrestle in college?"

Whatever weight he wishes. I am a firm believer recruit the best and let them sort it out in the room. Especially with the new transfer rules and NILs if a young man can't crack the lineup he is free to go to a school where he can.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 9, 2024

I agree recruit as many top recruits and let them sort it out.

Look at PSU

184 - Barr top recruit who is RS and #5 Zack Ryder committed

165/74 Messenbrink, Facundo, #6 Sealy coming in. Rumor Haines wont be able to hold 57 much longer. Starocci could come back for a 5th year if he wants.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 9, 2024

Mendoza would be a good get. We need to add depth at the lwoer weights. He a guy I see being a capable starter for a few years.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 9, 2024

Mendoza wouldn’t arrive for a while. After a redshirt, he’d overlap with Bouzakis only one year.

Logjams tend to work themselves out. If a blue chipper is interested, recruit him. Simple as that. The more guys you bring in the more likely that at least one has success.

It’s obvious these light weights are interested in working with Logan Stieber.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 9, 2024

Well ok. Bring the young man to Columbus.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 12, 2024

Seth Mendoza is a fine prospect but I don't see this as a reality to Ohio state. Mendoza is going to require $$$ and we are already log jammed in his weight classes. if he could somehow make 125 then it would be a homerun. He took #2 p4p Lilladahl to the brink at Ironman. Staff should be spending at 125 157 and 84/97.

my prospect wish list
149- blaze think he ends up at this weight. brother is bigger and would fill in a place of need when he gets here

157- bouzakis

Bassett-this is a kid you have to take no matter what. Constant offense, he will be a bonus point machine. Can not let Penn State get him. Feel like he will be a multiple time champ type.

184/197 I would like to add depth to also to push for a spot. two Ohio guys who probably wouldn't cost too much are Miller From Eds and Neitenbach from Buckeye.
Neitenbach is committed to Wyoming but is very intriguing prospect to me. He is a late bloomer nationally and made a huge statement at Ironman beating 5 straight nationally ranked kids.He has jumped levels this year. His Ohio competition he has completely dominated also. Shulaw from DeSales he tech falled which will be his state finals matchup more than likely. I just see a lot of future potential here. with decomitments and transfer portal openings if Anthony Ralph ever gets the chance work your magic.

The future looks very bright

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 12, 2024

Good insight on Neitenbach. As a casual observer of Ohio high schools, I had never heard of him. Looks like Wyoming got him just before his stock rose.

125 is not a big need. Kilkeary looks to me like a solid long term option. That is if he takes the spot from McCrone and maybe holds off Ben Davino. But there’s always a need to recruit the weight because 125s very easily grow into 133s.

157 is a huge need with Gallagher entering his junior year and coming off a knee surgery. No one on the roster is ready to jump in when he’s gone.

Yes I have watched Neitenbach for the last few years so the casual fan may not have heard of him. His sophomore year he was the huge favorite to win state and then failed skin check. His junior year he lost to nationally ranked Dylan Newsome 8-4 in semis and finished third. Newsome went on to beat Shulaw in the finals in a close match. This year he has wins over Eise ( Eise beat Newsome and gave Rocco Welsh a close match at Ironman) and beat Shulaw 15-0 in four minutes.Beaten 5-6 nationally ranked kids. He has tech falled or pinned every top 5 guy in his division also. That just shows the improvement he has made in a year. This is the first summer it looks like he wrestled competitively and looks like it paid dividends. Just see him as a super high ceiling guy and Ohio state needs these sort of recruits to stay in state. If he wasn't already committed before Ironman I doubt he would be at Wyoming. Not sure what's in the rules once a kid is commited but if there is any way to get him to flip this a a guy you go after. I believe we got Rotogotzke late like this that was committed last year so maybe there is a chance. Doesn't cut weight and could wrestle 175 if he wanted this year. projects at 184

Jarell Miller from eds is another kid who is probably more well known. Think he is under ranked also. lost to Rocco welsh ironman finals and then got third this year. Won Powerade against a top 10 kid recently also. projects 197.

125 we see what Kilkeary and Mccrone can do next year. if they are legit all American threats no need to explore but still think its a weight I would love to make stronger if possible. kilkeary is a smaller 125 so he should be here his entire career. Heinselman was a "good" 125 for the buckeyes but how many points did he ever score at nationals. I don't think ever more than 2-3. To be in team title contention gonna need more than just a top 20 kid.

The window opens back up for a team title after next year. Mendes and Feldman I think are both probably going to be the favorites in two seasons. then you have core of Rocco, Davino, and Bouzakis that all may have a real shot at title contention by then. This lineup may just able to compete with Penn State by then.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on February 12, 2024

The window opens back up for a team title after next year. Mendes and Feldman I think are both probably going to be the favorites in two seasons. then you have core of Rocco, Davino, and Bouzakis that all may have a real shot at title contention by then. This lineup may just able to compete with Penn State by then.[/quote]

I admire your optimism Nick but I thing a better term might be a crack in the window for someone other than Penn St. Mendez will certainly not be a sure thing as Kasak and Van Ness are about the same weight (who knows in two years). Davis will be back as will Nagao. Haines and Messenbrink look to be Penn St legends in the making. So we wil see. As for Bassett it's going to be tough Cael, to me is a huge advantage just based on his track record. If you are one of the best it is hard to resist the allure of team and individual championships and Cael has a vastly superior edge over all others in those categories

Mike just feel we can be in striking range by then. Next season no one will be close again. Transfer portal can change everything also. This is a very young team that will only continue to get better. As far as Penn state goes Nagao and Davis are both over rated. I like our options better. Haines may not be able to ever beat Shapiro also. No gaurentee he’s a Penn state legend. Messenbrink I think gets there once o toole graduates.

Cael desperately tried to get Feldman so we do sometimes win. Word was that they even called him offering him a huge nil deal but he turned it down to remain a buckeye. Tom has done everything possible to land Bassett and it would hurt losing him. I feel he started a relationship with him in like 8th grade. I remember Bo going to a buckeye football game then. Then Tom let his high school have a dual at the Covelli. When he listed his college finalists he literally named every d1 school. It may take more than a relationship however it may take $$$ to get him. We have been runners up on a lot of big prospects the last few years and I hope not again with Bassett. Carr, Figueroa, Messenbrink, Kerkvliet, Chittum the ones that come off the top of my head. Jax Forrest may be a package deal also but I’m not sure.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on February 12, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 12, 2024

Do the Bucks consider redshirting Mendez and Welch next year? You could move up Bouzakis, insert Davino at 133 and start Kharchla for one more season (assuming he comes back).

I have no idea how Sammy Sasso is doing but assume he's continuing to recover. Any chance he's able to resume competition?

I think the best idea would be to redshirt Mendes next year and let him grow into 149. Would love to see him graduate with rest of his recruiting class. Rocco will only redshirt if Carson comes back which he may. He did not get recognized on senior day so I think he may come back.

As for sammy his goal is to wrestle next year. Not sure if he will be the same wrestler however. Coach Ryan says he is 60 percent as of today.

Next year lineup if I had to guess
125 kilkeary/ mccrone
133 davino
141 bouzakiis/ cannon
149 demilio
157 sasso
165 hepner/ paddy
174 welsh/ kharchla
184 Rotogotzke
197 Geog
285 Feldman

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 13, 2024

Transfer portal changes everything these days, you can never bank on Michigan or Iowa "losing guys" because they are always going to try and grab the best guys in the portal year after year.

I will gladly take Mendoza, or any top 125/133 prospect.

I think for Juniors, Blaze is at the top, to no surprise. I think the 3 Seniors coming in next year in Davino, Birden and Neves are all potential starters at some point.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next