Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Buckeye Postseason thoughts
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 12, 2024

Buckeye Postseason thoughts

125 – I assume that McCrone will be the postseason starter. While I think Kilkeary is the better long term option, I don’t see the difference as so much that I would pull Vinny out of redshirt. Using the current InterMat rankings (I know the B1G seeding could be different), here are the seeds:
1. Matt Ramos
2. Braeden Davis
3. Eric Barnett
4. Michael DeAugustino
5. Drake Ayala
6. Patrick McKee
7. Caleb Smith
8. Dean Peterson
9. Brendan McCrone
If McCrone is the 8 or 9, I can see him repeating his victory over Peterson, losing to Ramos (of whoever the 1 seed is, unless it’s Davis, then I could see an upset), and placing in the 7 or 8 spot.
At nationals, I see McCrone as a mid 20 seed, which puts him as a 1-2 or 2-2 wrestler. However, I could easily see him picking up a fall in the consis, which puts him at 2.5 or 3 team points.

133 – Bouzakis is such a wild card. I could see him being an AA or flaming out on Thursday. Current standings:
1. Dylan Ragusin
2. Aaron Nagao
3. Dylan Shawver
4. Nic Bouzakis
5. Braxton Brown
6. Tyler Wells
7. Jacob Van Dee
8. Cullan Schriever
9. Tony Madrigal
I can’t see Bouzakis lower than 4th, and I could see him in the finals with a hot weekend. I think he ends up around 10th at NCAAs, wins 2 matches and then loses in the quarters. Which Nic do we see in the bloodround? I think he places 8th.

141 – Mendez will likely be the 3 seed, which isn’t much different than the 2 seed. Either way, these semis are going to be fire!
1. Beau Bartlett
2. Real Woods
3. Jesse Mendez
4. Brock Hardy
5. Sergio Lemley
6. Mitch Moore
7. Vance Vombaur
8. Kal Miller
9. Danny Fongaro
10. Danny Pucino
11. Jordan Hamdan
12. Greyson Clark
I think Mendez makes it to the finals against Bartlett (although I could see Hardy or Lemley giving him trouble in the semis) and makes the adjustments Rex talked about. Mendez wins a B1G title and goes into NCAAs as the 1 seed. I think he makes the finals and takes home a title.

149 – DD has been struggling of late and this weight has plenty of landmines that can trip him up if he isn’t at his best.
1. Ridge Lovett
2. Austin Gomez
3. Kannon Webster
4. Tyler Kasak
5. Dylan D'Emilio
6. Caleb Rathjen
7. Ethen Miller
8. Graham Rooks
9. Drew Roberts
10. Joe Zargo
11. Michael Cetta
I think DD can place as high as 4th here. I don’t see him beating Lovett, Gomez or Kasak. I think he can beat anyone else. However, I also think that he can be beaten by everyone listed above. I think he takes 6th at B1Gs and goes into nationals seeded in the teens. I don’t know that he is pulling off the wins that he did last year, so I am going 3-2, out in the Round of 16.

157 – Wilcox is the feel good story of the season for the Bucks. Wrestles hard, moving weight classes, keeps everything close.
1. Levi Haines
2. Michael Blockhus
3. Jared Franek
4. Peyton Robb
5. Will Lewan
6. Trevor Chumbley
7. Brayton Lee
8. Joey Blaze
9. Chase Saldate
10. Isaac Wilcox
Wilcox owns a win over Chumbley and lost a tight one to Lee. I could easily see him getting to the quarters. Blockhus is beatable, but I don’t think Wilcox would take that one. I see him placing 8th at B1Gs. He goes into NCAAs as a low 20 seed, goes 1-2, losing both matches 4-2.

165 – Hepner is so close to being a top 10 wrestler, he just needs to finish a little better in his scrambles. He’s the guy I think who has the best chance of being an AA who won’t be seeded to make the bloodround. He’s got the Hoffman/Courts energy to him.
1. Dean Hamiti
2. Mikey Caliendo
3. Mitchell Mesenbrink
4. Caleb Fish
5. Cameron Amine
6. Antrell Taylor
7. Bryce Hepner
8. Maxx Mayfield
9. Tyler Lillard
10. Blaine Brenner
11. Stoney Buell
Hepner should get to the quarters, but I don’t think he can beat any of the top 3 here. However, I think the rest are beatable, and I see him taking 5th at this weight. He is seeded 18th or so at nationals, picks up 2 consi wins, 1 with a fall, and goes 2-2.

174 – Welsh is dangerous at this weight and I think he is an AA this year. His matches with Starocci and Griffith should scare the rest of the country. He’s close.
1. Carter Starocci
2. Shane Griffith
3. Patrick Kennedy
4. Edmond Ruth
5. Rocco Welsh
6. Max Maylor
7. Jackson Turley
8. Donnell Washington
9. Brody Baumann
10. Bubba Wilson
I see Welsh in the finals, I really do. I think he takes neutral against both Ruth and Griffith and forces the action and gets a stall point and then a TD. I think Starocci beats him again. Rocco is the 6 seed at nationals, makes the semis against Mekhi, who has a little too much for him. Welsh places 4th.

184 – Live by the Rogo, die by the Rogo.
1. Lenny Pinto
2. Isaiah Salazar
3. Bernie Truax
4. Layne Malczewski
5. Shane Liegel
6. Jaden Bullock
7. Brian Soldano
8. Ryder Rogotzke
9. Dylan Connell
I have no idea where Ryder gets seeded. Wins over Traux and Bullock, loss to Soldano, who knows. I think he can beat anyone not in the top 3. I don’t see him repeating that win over Traux. I think he makes the quarters, loses, and gets to the consi semis, where he loses to Salazar and then places 5th.

197 – Geog seems to be wrestling smarter and more sound. I am excited to see how he fares this postseason.
1. Aaron Brooks
2. Jaxon Smith
3. Zach Glazier
4. Silas Allred
5. Garrett Joles
6. Luke Geog
7. John Poznanski
8. Kael Wisler
9. Gabe Sollars
Not the deepest weight in the B1G. I think Geog’s ceiling is 5 and his floor is 7. I think he gets 6th, right where he’s seeded.

285 – Feldman is coming on strong, learning so much since the beginning of the year about what positions he can and can’t win.
1. Greg Kerkvliet
2. Lucas Davison
3. Nick Feldman
4. Yaraslau Slavikouski
5. Luke Luffman
6. Seth Nevills
7. Bradley Hill
8. Bennett Tabor
Nick ends up the 2 seed at the B1G tourney, and I see him repeating his win over Davison. Kerk beats him again in the finals. I think he is the 5 or 6 at Nationals, and, honestly, I would prefer the 6. I don’t want him seeing Kerk in the semis. Take his chances on the other side. I think the grind gets to him a little and he loses in the quarters, wins in the bloodround and then places 4th.

This Buckeye team could end up with 1 or 6 AAs, anywhere from 2nd to 10th as a team, and I wouldn’t be shocked at any of those outcomes. There is a lot of talent and youth. Ranking, in my opinion, the most to least likely to AA.
1. Jesse Mendez
2. Rocco Welsh
3. Nick Feldman
4. Nic Bouzakis
5. Dylan D’Emilio
6. Bryce Hepner
7. Ryder Rogotzke
8. Luke Geog
9. Brendan McCrone
10. Isaac Wilcox
Go Bucks!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 12, 2024

125- mccrone probably gets one win 1-2

133-bouzakis can beat or lose to anyone in his bracket except Vito and fix. I’m hoping his head scratching losses are weight issues? I think a tournament setting probably favors him. I’m predicting a low all American finish here. 7th place.

141-real woods doesn’t look the same. Think he beats Bartlett also in a nuetral venue. National champ

149- demilio hasn been down a little since Las Vegas. I think he makes a run but falls just short. R12

157- no one wants Wilcox in their draw. He wrestles everyone tough. 1-2 finish

165-hepner don’t think he all Americans but think he can come close. R12

174- another kid no one wants to see. I predict a low all American 8th place.

184- Rotogotzke is a complete wildcard. Can not predict his results. I’m going to say 2-2 at tourney. He is an absolute landmine tho.

197- Geog I have been a little disappointed in this year. I really thought he would make a big leap this year and isn’t have the success I thought he would. Seems to gas a lot in matches also. Probably another 2-2 type of tourney.

285-Feldmans time will come but just not this year. Don’t believe he repeats a Davison type win honestly. Davison was a second away from scoring twice. The refs aided Feldman with a point also. The refs seemed very pro Ohio state against Michigan imo. Davison is too good on top also. I think he makes the r12 and falls just short. It will all depend on his seed and matchup. Feldman weight class will really clear out in next couple years and expect to be the champ in two years.

This team is full of borderline all American type guys. I think around 3-4 all Americans feels about right. Mccrone, Geog, and Wilcox only three where i don’t see a real shot at all American.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 12, 2024

James if Rocco is the 5 seed he would face Carter in semis so wouldn't make finals.

Too hard to predict big ten placers. Too many mff once kids qualify

► Add to the Discussion