Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs Mich State
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 17, 2024

How many takedowns has Rocco surrendered this season? Under 10? He keeps such great position. That’s only possible if you’re very fit which he is.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 18, 2024

10 takedowns way under. Carter starrocci got one and North Carolina state got one. Ruth and Griffith did not earn a takedown. Going through his matches I think he has given up two takedowns all year.

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"How many takedowns has Rocco surrendered this season? Under 10? He keeps such great position. That’s only possible if you’re very fit which he is."

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 18, 2024

Just re-read Rex's post about Rogotzke. I argued with Brady about his potential after watching his high school film. I saw a guy I thought was too gimmicky and not enough fundamentals. Maybe another Tony Jameson. Nope. I think the time spent in the Bucks room has allowed him to tighten up his game and get even better at doing the moves he likes. It's astonishing to see how dangerous he is in all positions.

Having Rogotzke and Welsh back to back is amazing. Fun times to come.

Incidentally, I think Shumate has improved a lot. He and Geog could be battling it out for years at 197.

I think Shumate has a better shot at 197 then he does to make the lineup at 184. Rotogotzke is the future. Rotogotzke is about to be in the record books at Ohio state. So far he has 15 wins. 13 of his wins by fall, 1 by tech fall, and one he won 5-0. E Logan Stieber has the all time career fall record with 50 pins. Rotogotzke is going to absolutely crush that record. He may have a realistic chance to hit 100. He hasn’t wrestled all the events even this year. He will only get better.

If you would have told me Geog would have a lower ranking then Mccrone and Wilcox I would have said you are crazy. All indications felt he was about to have a big year. 197 currently is my biggest concern for the future.

Also props to Mccrone. He has far surpassed my expectations for him this season. He has seemed to constantly improve. His first tournament of the year he lost to Babin and Lujan. He went on to avenge both of those losses. It will be interesting to see who wins between him and kilkeary next year.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on February 18, 2024; edited 49 times in total

Jason Fair added to this discussion on February 18, 2024

Nick, I agree about the concerns for Geog. With Welsh supposedly making hard cut to 174, I wonder if we eventually see Rogotzky at 197? I wonder if Carter Neves could make a drop to 197 for a year or two.

Jason…. Ryder did wrestle 195 his senior year so I think he could eventually go to 197. Carson kharchla looks like he is coming back next year. Rocco can either go 184 or redshirt. Neves hasn’t weighed under 200 pounds for three years. 197 isn’t happening. With Rocco and Ryder both having redshirts they should have plenty of time to put on the weight. If they both did that then maybe Birden could slide in at 174 after Carson graduates.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 20, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Jason…. Ryder did wrestle 195 his senior year so I think he could eventually go to 197. Carson kharchla looks like he is coming back next year. Rocco can either go 184 or redshirt. Neves hasn’t weighed under 200 pounds for three years. 197 isn’t happening. With Rocco and Ryder both having redshirts they should have plenty of time to put on the weight. If they both did that then maybe Birden could slide in at 174 after Carson graduates."

Ryder was a 182 his Sr. year but bumped up to 195 to take on #1 rated McEnelly (spelling?) who is now on the Gophers rosters. Both were 3x State Champs going for #4 and both would have easily rolled to #4 but easy is not in Rogo's playbook.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on February 21, 2024

I am sticking with my "should've redshirted him" stance but there's no question Rogotzke is dangerous. It's just that he can also lose to a number of the mid-level big 10 guys.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 22, 2024

"Jason…. Ryder did wrestle 195 his senior year so I think he could eventually go to 197. Carson kharchla looks like he is coming back next year. Rocco can either go 184 or redshirt. Neves hasn’t weighed under 200 pounds for three years. 197 isn’t happening. With Rocco and Ryder both having redshirts they should have plenty of time to put on the weight. If they both did that then maybe Birden could slide in at 174 after Carson graduates."

At this point I don't think it's a given that Carson beats Rocco in a wrestle off. It will be interesting to see how Rocco does at Big10s and NCAAs.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 23, 2024

If Carson returns and is finally healthy you let him wrestle no matter what. A healthy kharchla can beat anyone. The last season he was healthy he took o toole to the brink and had a controversial call go against him. Welsh has a redshirt to use if he wants, and if he wants to be in the lineup let him go 184. Welsh future is bright but you let Carson wrestle his senior year if he comes back to his peak form.

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"

At this point I don't think it's a given that Carson beats Rocco in a wrestle off. It will be interesting to see how Rocco does at Big10s and NCAAs."

If Carson returns and is finally healthy you let him wrestle no matter what. A healthy kharchla can beat anyone. The last season he was healthy he took o toole to the brink and had a controversial call go against him. Welsh has a redshirt to use if he wants, and if he wants to be in the lineup let him go 184. Welsh future is bright but you let Carson wrestle his senior year if he comes back to his peak form.

"

At this point I don't think it's a given that Carson beats Rocco in a wrestle off. It will be interesting to see how Rocco does at Big10s and NCAAs."

"

"

"

"

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next