Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Nebraska vs PSU
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 19, 2024

Gotta give credit to the Huskers, they are doing an amazing job at developing their talent. Their young guys just bring it. The rivalry between the Bucks and Huskers is going to be one to savor.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 19, 2024

Another very questionable call goes PSU way.

Hardy is about to secure a TD that gives him the lead with about 20 seconds left, when the ref stops it for PD and unless I missed something neither guy was in danger.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 19, 2024

PD is such an odd call. I wish the ref could determine if the impacted wrestler put himself into the situation. If so, the way to avoid 'danger' is to give up the takedown. Seems like an easy fix.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 19, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Another very questionable call goes PSU way.

Hardy is about to secure a TD that gives him the lead with about 20 seconds left, when the ref stops it for PD and unless I missed something neither guy was in danger."

I just watched the match and I would love to know what it was that Matt saw. Over the years I have witnessed a LOT of knees bent far more than in this case.
OTOH, the way they scrambled throughout that match, I don't agree that he was about to secure a TD.

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"PD is such an odd call. I wish the ref could determine if the impacted wrestler put himself into the situation. If so, the way to avoid 'danger' is to give up the takedown. Seems like an easy fix."

Everything seems easy when it isn't your butt on the line.
This makes me think of Cary Kolat and his rubber knees. After watching his matches, my thought became that if the man puts himself in that sort of position, I am going to give a lot more latitude before making a PD call. After all, we don't penalize a wrestler when the opponent turns a legal hold into an illegal hold. (Rule 7-1-6).
My question would be, what is the difference? He did it to himself.
BTW, I will not purposely let someone get injured.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 19, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Another very questionable call goes PSU way.

Hardy is about to secure a TD that gives him the lead with about 20 seconds left, when the ref stops it for PD and unless I missed something neither guy was in danger."

Jim, I agree with you, and after they stopped the action it seemed like Bartlett walked back to his corner without showing any signs of injuring his leg. IMO it appeared he stopped the action to avoid the TD??

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 19, 2024

When they rolled through Hardy put his shoulder on the knee and two hands on the ankle and levered the leg straight. Momentarily hyperextending the knee and Bartlett yelped. Jesse ended up in same position in overtime in which Bartlett scored. Started off with low single head inside and got rolled through. Hardy had a better reaction and stayed on the leg. If guys are going to entertain these scramble positions on the mat, joints are going to get torqued. Was Hardy supposed to concede the position and let go of the leg like Jesse did? If he doesn't lever the leg, Bartlett gets his leg back and Hardy is in bad position.

Technically he was just straightening the joint until he could improve position.

IMO Hardy scores there knowing that Bartlett was momentarily immobilized.

In the dual with Iowa, Sharratt did the same thing to me but on a single leg at the edge, while I was standing and he was on his knees. To me that seemed dirty whereas from the mat not so much. Still thinking about it.

Here is the video of the match with the call from Jeff Byers (PSU play by play guy).
Look at exactly 7:15 for what Rex talks about. It happens very fast and I doubt that many officials would stop the situation for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSf29Dx2fA

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 19, 2024

According to Willie aka matscouts said the ref told the coaches Beau said oww so they stopped it.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 20, 2024

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Here is the video of the match with the call from Jeff Byers (PSU play by play guy).
Look at exactly 7:15 for what Rex talks about. It happens very fast and I doubt that many officials would stop the situation for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSf29Dx2fA"

It's definitely straightened but nothing even close to a PD, IMHO. I agree Jim, not many officials would stop the situation for this nor should they at that level. We see far far worse get let go. If every yelp gets stopped, there will be a lot of yelping over the next five weeks.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 21, 2024

Another point of view on this match starts at 8:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vpYAklbG0

► Add to the Discussion